A new B&B in Rome (Italy)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rome

Reaction score
I'm going to open a new B&B in ROME (ITALY) and i'm searching a name. Do you have any tip or suggestion?

Welcome, and congratulations on your project in such a wonderful city.
Regarding a name, who is your target clientele? If you are aiming for tourists from outside Italy, you certainly want to go with a name that will be easy for non-Italians to spell, pronounce, and understand. (And this advice comes from someone who did not follow it. My own guesthouse has a difficult to spell and pronounce German name, and it's certainly not helpful for my business.)
Since English is the world's second language, perhaps try to think of words that are similar in both Italian and English. Certainly putting the district of the city in your name might be beneficial. Like if you are near the Vatican, work that into the name, or if you are in Trastevere, having that word in your inn name could help.

What neighbourhood are you in? What do you want people to think of when they see your name? What special features do you have? Does your home have?

I have noticed that these words are rather popular in B&B names from Italy:
Agriturismo
Casa
House
Residence
Villa
And as Arkansawyer mentioned, it is a very good idea to have your city/region name in the title. Make the name work for you passively and actively, so that the location name itself will bring you up in search engine result pages.

I have noticed that these words are rather popular in B&B names from Italy:
Agriturismo
Casa
House
Residence
Villa
And as Arkansawyer mentioned, it is a very good idea to have your city/region name in the title. Make the name work for you passively and actively, so that the location name itself will bring you up in search engine result pages..
I doubt that agriturismo would be useful in Rome. The rest of them are Just Italian words for house. The name should reflect the house, the owners or something about the property. The neighbourhood, the architecture, the decor.

We stayed in a B&B near the Rome Metro station and, pardon my Italian, it was crap!
It was run by Croatians and they served pre-packaged food at breakfast. The place was a dump.
Please, whatever you name it, maintain high standards. Italian breakfast are very different and much lighter than American breakfasts. The key is to use fresh ingredients: bread, fruit, cheeses and don't skimp on the coffee.
First-time American tourists will be the most demanding. You will have to use your imagination to placate the "bacon and eggs" crowd. European tourist will know what to expect.
I'm curious as to what neighborhood you'll be in as well. Proximity to public transportation will help your situation greatly. Driving and parking in Rome is insane.

We stayed in a B&B near the Rome Metro station and, pardon my Italian, it was crap!
It was run by Croatians and they served pre-packaged food at breakfast. The place was a dump.
Please, whatever you name it, maintain high standards. Italian breakfast are very different and much lighter than American breakfasts. The key is to use fresh ingredients: bread, fruit, cheeses and don't skimp on the coffee.
First-time American tourists will be the most demanding. You will have to use your imagination to placate the "bacon and eggs" crowd. European tourist will know what to expect.
I'm curious as to what neighborhood you'll be in as well. Proximity to public transportation will help your situation greatly. Driving and parking in Rome is insane..
Proud Texan said:
they served pre-packaged food at breakfast.
From what I've read, this is apparently a limitation of Italian law. It seems that that may be all that B&B's there are allowed to serve...

I'm curious as to what neighborhood you'll be in as well. Proximity to public transportation will help your situation greatly. Driving and parking in Rome is insane..
Proud Texan said:
From what I've read, this is apparently a limitation of Italian law. It seems that that may be all that B&B's there are allowed to serve...
When I was in Venice, in search for traditional Tiramisu, I was shocked to discover that they are not allowed to use eggs and/or cream to prepare it in-house, so most of the places around Italy serve pre-packaged deserts. That was such a disappointment.

Proud Texan said:
I stayed at a B&B that sent you over to a nice restaurant for breakfast, since they were limited on what they could serve.

Proud Texan said:
When I was in Venice, in search for traditional Tiramisu, I was shocked to discover that they are not allowed to use eggs and/or cream to prepare it in-house, so most of the places around Italy serve pre-packaged deserts. That was such a disappointment.
Ahhh, not the agriturismos I have stayed in. In fact, I have taken cooking lessons in one that made Tiramisu with fresh eggs from the property. Perhaps the hotels have different regulations, or perhaps the Tuscan B+B's are different.
Let me highly recommend a couple we have stayed in that gave outstanding breakfasts with home-made pastries.
http://www.fattorialavacchio.com Our favorite. By the way...they also call the B+B part Casa Bella
http://www.agriturismo-volterra.it Great place!

We stayed at B&Bs in Florence and in Greve in Tuscany and Panzano and all had lovely buffet breakfasts - self serve all you can eat - which we adored - lots of dried meats, bacon, fruit, cereal, pastries, and we loved the self-serve cappuchino machines.
Riki

We stayed at agritourismos all over Umbria and Tuscany, so we did our own cooking. Eggs and toast every morning and I loved it! You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy.

We stayed at B&Bs in Florence and in Greve in Tuscany and Panzano and all had lovely buffet breakfasts - self serve all you can eat - which we adored - lots of dried meats, bacon, fruit, cereal, pastries, and we loved the self-serve cappuchino machines.
Riki.
think a lot of it depends on how inventive the owner decides to be - a lot of things are a cop out

Proud Texan said:
It was run by Croatians and they served pre-packaged food at breakfast.
We stayed at a HOTEL in one Italian town (the only place to say in this tiny town), and breakfast was pre-packaged food. Everything else was nice, though. Run by native Italians, but breakfast was obviously not important to them. A croissant sealed at the factory and a container of yogurt. But the coffee...even pre-packaged places in Italy serve GREAT coffee!!!
If Joey Bloggs really liked coffee, she would spend 2 weeks in Italy!

Proud Texan said:
Harborfields said:
Proud Texan said:
Not true. We stayed for several weeks at B&Bs all over Italy and the food and service were impeccable. We had freshly baked breads, and an assortment of cheeses, meats and fresh fruit and the best coffee on the planet. The difference was the locale and the attitude of the innkeepers.

Back