A new blog post for all those who think, "Check-in time??? What? Why????"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
The Importance of Being Early
Again, do not know who this is (this blogger) but can guess they are on this forum (regularly or from time to time). I would like to like them on Facebook, but the last time I liked Agnes I got an earful from an innkeeper I didn't even know! Someone who sports floppy sweat pants in their Innkeeper Photo on Facebook, so stuff 'em. Like who you like, sometimes we need to laugh too...
cry_smile.gif

I love the explanation. Perfect. Early on we had a lady who was coming to do genealogy and when she made the rez she told me she had had back sugery that had kept her from traveling for a year but now she was ready to travel again. she did NOT tell me this was her first attempt at travel. They were from NH and had made it as far as Maryland when they called at 8PM on July 4 to tell me they were turning around and going home because she was in too much pain. The concert I wanted to attend started at 8 PM. Shortly after that, I started taking credit cards...... SHE was excited that she had gotten that far! I rarely get the early but I do get LOTS of late.

Can totally relate to this especially the comment underneath from the person who had their evening wrecked.
We once had a night out booked with friends for dinner, thinking that by 7pm the people would have arrived. We waited, and waited and waited. In the end we had to phone and appologies (at least the people we were visiting had a B&B so they understood the problem). In the end the guests never turned up. Our evening was ruined by a no show.

I love the explanation. Perfect. Early on we had a lady who was coming to do genealogy and when she made the rez she told me she had had back sugery that had kept her from traveling for a year but now she was ready to travel again. she did NOT tell me this was her first attempt at travel. They were from NH and had made it as far as Maryland when they called at 8PM on July 4 to tell me they were turning around and going home because she was in too much pain. The concert I wanted to attend started at 8 PM. Shortly after that, I started taking credit cards...... SHE was excited that she had gotten that far! I rarely get the early but I do get LOTS of late..
We have found it hard to leave when we know a guest will be arriving. Feel that if we leave, that will be the time there is a problem. Typically, we don't go anywhere in the evenings anyway. :( But, even though we are here, if they arrive very late, we will leave a note of welcome and instructions in their room.The rooms are separate from the main house. No one can arrive too early if we are gone during the day because we can lock our driveway gate!

I love the explanation. Perfect. Early on we had a lady who was coming to do genealogy and when she made the rez she told me she had had back sugery that had kept her from traveling for a year but now she was ready to travel again. she did NOT tell me this was her first attempt at travel. They were from NH and had made it as far as Maryland when they called at 8PM on July 4 to tell me they were turning around and going home because she was in too much pain. The concert I wanted to attend started at 8 PM. Shortly after that, I started taking credit cards...... SHE was excited that she had gotten that far! I rarely get the early but I do get LOTS of late..
We have found it hard to leave when we know a guest will be arriving. Feel that if we leave, that will be the time there is a problem. Typically, we don't go anywhere in the evenings anyway. :( But, even though we are here, if they arrive very late, we will leave a note of welcome and instructions in their room.The rooms are separate from the main house. No one can arrive too early if we are gone during the day because we can lock our driveway gate!
Through trial and error, I have discovered the absolute certain way to ensure a guest will arrive - go 1/2 mile down the road to the grocery store. They either arrive then (while you are gone for 10 minutes) or they will not be there before Midnight.

My philosophy is that I am available from 3 PM- 7 PM for the convenience of the guest. Before and after that, I am available at my own convenience. 3 guests called today to take advantage of the 'check yourself in' plan. What surprised the most was that they called. They had read the confirmation! Of course, the one other room with a check-in time of 3 is not here. But, I am piddling around doing stuff that needs doing.

Through trial and error, I have discovered the absolute certain way to ensure a guest will arrive - go 1/2 mile down the road to the grocery store. They either arrive then (while you are gone for 10 minutes) or they will not be there before Midnight.
or got to the toilet, get in the bath or try and eat some food and I am certain some sort of bat signal goes off that attracts them

or got to the toilet, get in the bath or try and eat some food and I am certain some sort of bat signal goes off that attracts them
Absolutely! Shower = Doorbell.

Back