A new breed of dog

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is purely tongue in cheek. It is my own personal opinion and I am going to share it:
Our dog comes out to say hello. The guest says "We love dogs, we have one"
I ask "Neat, what sort of dog do you have?"
He/She "Oh he's a rescue"
Me "Big dog, small dog?..."
Them "He's a rescue..."
Me "Long hair? Short hair? Mixed?..."
Them "We rescued him. He was abused badly. He has long hair, part Chow, about 45 pounds..."
So it's apparently a new breed. We have many guests tell me the same thing. It is not THEIR DOG. It is forever labeled "a rescue".
Yes this gets my goat, let the dog be your dog, please, stop calling him that. Give him a chance...

You have to wonder what they would say if they adopted kids... I know my SIL brings it up all the time. They celebrate their adoption date rather than their birthday. The kids are forever 'adopted'.
OTOH, I thought you were going to mention the dog in the zoo in China that they had labeled as a lion. Because the lion was gone. But people still wanted to see a lion.

That is part of it, of course, without going into all of that. Celebrating the adoption or anniversary is a healthy thing, not saying "This is my rescue child" labels are bad, we need to stop being what we do, and being who we are.
Humans vs dogs have a different perspective on life. :)

We had a couple last night - first question was do you have a room? I said yes but as they were an older couple pointed out it was on the top floor "Oh the dog won't like all those stairs" - felt like saying Pardon me? surely the first question you should have asked was do you take dogs?

We had a couple last night - first question was do you have a room? I said yes but as they were an older couple pointed out it was on the top floor "Oh the dog won't like all those stairs" - felt like saying Pardon me? surely the first question you should have asked was do you take dogs?.
The first question is NEVER if you take dogs. Sometimes the dog doesn't come up until I've taken down all of their information and for some reason they 'remember' they're bringing the dog. Nope, not here.
I've gone thru a big long song and dance about availability and things to do and how close are we and ok we'll take the room and how many guests and how many nights and then I get, 'Are there any dog parks nearby we can let our dog off leash?'

We had a couple last night - first question was do you have a room? I said yes but as they were an older couple pointed out it was on the top floor "Oh the dog won't like all those stairs" - felt like saying Pardon me? surely the first question you should have asked was do you take dogs?.
The first question is NEVER if you take dogs. Sometimes the dog doesn't come up until I've taken down all of their information and for some reason they 'remember' they're bringing the dog. Nope, not here.
I've gone thru a big long song and dance about availability and things to do and how close are we and ok we'll take the room and how many guests and how many nights and then I get, 'Are there any dog parks nearby we can let our dog off leash?'
We have a very close neighbour (ie 150 yards) who does however it turns our all her guests were in so her and hubby had gone out for dinner (good for them!) so then they came back - we have a decent size car park and it was a warm night so they left the dog in the car

Back