A New Store for Our City

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
I am definitely a foodie and I LOVE fresh produce. I've lived here for almost 7 years and there has been a dearth in the selection of fresh produce anywhere, which is astounding to me since I live in a largely agrarian State. We just had The Fresh Market store open here yesterday and I can't wait to check it out. I didn't go to the grand opening....it was a zoo according to the paper.
The small grocery store near my son's downtown Dallas apartment had more produce than the largest of grocery stores here! (We have a population of 200K.) Let's just say that it was fantastic to find some less common fruits and veggies during my stay there! That and the Tex-Mex extravaganza that we enjoyed. :) Oh, and the best water based fruit gelato that I've ever had in my life at place there.
They used to have a large State run Farmer's Market here and it went away about 2 years before we moved here. :-( We do have a very small market days on Saturday mornings here with fresh from the farm produce (again, very, very small variety). The closest really big metro area is 90 minutes away so it's not really feasible to go shop there. :-(
Sigh.....It's the little things in life........ hehehe....

Samster said:
Yeah.....i'm spoiled here where it concerns food......I can go eat anything from every region of the globe.......or find grocers offering stuff from all regions of the globe..........

Samster said:
Yeah.....i'm spoiled here where it concerns food......I can go eat anything from every region of the globe.......or find grocers offering stuff from all regions of the globe...........
My dh and I have been discussing where our last move will be. I definitely need to be about 30 minutes from a more cosmopolitan city. Where that will be....we don't know yet. We have lived all over the place and have some ideas though. :)

me me me take me...I want I want!
Does super walmart count as fresh? Stop! Don't answer that!

me me me take me...I want I want!
Does super walmart count as fresh? Stop! Don't answer that!.
Out of all the stores that sell groceries here, their produce is the absolute WORST, both in selection and freshness. I learned this the hard way with the business.... I would only buy fruit there if I was already there and simply had no time to go somewhere else. And I would buy very, very little because I knew that it would go bad quickly. Sad.......

I saw a news special last year about fresh produce; there are primary and secondary buyers. The primary buyers sell their old fruit to secondary buyers who put it out just as it's about to turn.

Like potatoes, a bag of baking russetts and inside are small dingy ones stuffed in for fillers, really gets my goat!!! So small you can't even peel the dang things.

I guess I am very fortunate. I have an excellent fresh produce market. I usually win even with the "let's get rid of" baskets for $1.50 each.

Like potatoes, a bag of baking russetts and inside are small dingy ones stuffed in for fillers, really gets my goat!!! So small you can't even peel the dang things..
I don't understand that either....unless you're making baked potatoes for house elves or something. haha....

Samster said:
I am definitely a foodie and I LOVE fresh produce. I've lived here for almost 7 years and there has been a dearth in the selection of fresh produce anywhere, which is astounding to me since I live in a largely agrarian State. We just had The Fresh Market store open here yesterday and I can't wait to check it out. I didn't go to the grand opening....it was a zoo according to the paper.
If it is the same Fresh Market that they have on Hilton Head it is very very nice! But I think expensive. But we were certainly impressed.
RIki

Samster said:
If it is the same Fresh Market that they have on Hilton Head it is very very nice! But I think expensive. But we were certainly impressed.
RIki.
We didn't find The Fresh Market when we were in Hilton Head, but we did find the upscale Piggly Wiggly. (Piggly Wiggly here is....let's just say....interesting.)
I'll let you know about the expensive part. Surprisingly, groceries here are higher than a lot of places, considering the median income. I noticed that food was much CHEAPER when I was in Dallas. Competition, I'm sure.

How did you find your Fresh Market to be?? Ours is on the smallish side and the fruits & veggies are pretty expensive. Whenever I go I normally only walk out with a few odds and ends.

How did you find your Fresh Market to be?? Ours is on the smallish side and the fruits & veggies are pretty expensive. Whenever I go I normally only walk out with a few odds and ends..
Have not been yet as it's been pretty crowded but my dh stopped in there when out running another errand today and scored.........GELATO!! And it was on sale. :) You have to know that you can't buy that anywhere else here (that I have seen at least in all my shopping). You have a lot of "big city" goodness probably where you are. ;-)

How did you find your Fresh Market to be?? Ours is on the smallish side and the fruits & veggies are pretty expensive. Whenever I go I normally only walk out with a few odds and ends..
Have not been yet as it's been pretty crowded but my dh stopped in there when out running another errand today and scored.........GELATO!! And it was on sale. :) You have to know that you can't buy that anywhere else here (that I have seen at least in all my shopping). You have a lot of "big city" goodness probably where you are. ;-)
Samster said:
Yeah, we do have I guess everything here! My dad works as a heavy equipment mechanic and he was in your town working on some equipment in wally world last Friday. When he told me where he was I thought about you
regular_smile.gif

Back