A new way to accept credit cards

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are behind the times here. Last November, I noticed that all over the UK they use wireless swipe machines and chip cards rather than magnetic strip cards. I believe that it's true in Europe as well. Our friends from across the pond will have to comment..
Samster said:
We are behind the times here. Last November, I noticed that all over the UK they use wireless swipe machines and chip cards rather than magnetic strip cards. I believe that it's true in Europe as well. Our friends from across the pond will have to comment.
I have looked into the wireless swipe machines here and the last time I did the machine was $600. A bit too rich for my blood.
The Iphone might work. Thanks for the tip!!!!
Riki

Six years ago I used to sell cc processing and cell phone swiper tech was already avail then - it is no less secure than you handing your card in at a store or a restaurant or using it on the internet, over the phone or leaving a receipt lying around. Until the US puts chips on every card (credit AND debit) - and although this will not eliminate fraud it will reduce it - cc fraud will continue. Anyone can buy a machine that can read and copy the mag stripe on your card in seconds.
On another note as you check rates, make sure you check the mid and non qual rates, most people now use corp or rewards cards so you are generally not being charged the lowest rate - also check that you don't have montly minimums, statement fees and that your batch fees are low or 0

Here's another great app and credit card reader for the iPhone, iPad, or Android! Check it out and we can answer any questions you may have!
PhoneSwipe

In answer to the above the UK and most of Europe is Chip and Pin as a merchant you can make it to sign for if for example if the person has a visual imparement. We can still take American cards which don't have a chip as well. The wireless terminals are very popular with restautants as it can be taken to the table etc but be aware that they only have a limited range and you have to keep popping them back on the stand to recharge (it doesn't do to run out of batteries during check out) We don't take Amex as it has the highest commission at 5% but we take everything else. There arn't many places now that don't take cards as they are so popular. It is even more so in Harrogate as we are mainly conference trade so the guests have a business credit card and are expected by the company to use it to keep their expenses straight. It would be frowned upon to take cash out with it to pay with for example..
I realize this is an old topic, but do you still have an override button in the UK? We don't in Canada. If they have a chip, they must enter their pin. The keypad has a single bump on the 5, so that the visually impaired can use the terminal, with a larger OK (enter) button. And some cards are encoded at the central so that if they are entered via the chip reader, to print the form for signature. We have absolutely no control in that regard.
We can still process US cards with the magnetic swipe, but all other cards have to go chip and pin, if it is chip enabled. We take liability on the transaction if the card has a chip and we decide to go magnetic stripe.
I know that the European Parliament passed a resolution that allows European banks to start to remove the magnetic stripes. As a result, a few US banks have started to issue chip and pin cards.
Canada is supposed to be phasing out magnetic stripes on the ATMS as of next year, but I don't know if that will limit US users as well. Have they started that in the UK?

In answer to the above the UK and most of Europe is Chip and Pin as a merchant you can make it to sign for if for example if the person has a visual imparement. We can still take American cards which don't have a chip as well. The wireless terminals are very popular with restautants as it can be taken to the table etc but be aware that they only have a limited range and you have to keep popping them back on the stand to recharge (it doesn't do to run out of batteries during check out) We don't take Amex as it has the highest commission at 5% but we take everything else. There arn't many places now that don't take cards as they are so popular. It is even more so in Harrogate as we are mainly conference trade so the guests have a business credit card and are expected by the company to use it to keep their expenses straight. It would be frowned upon to take cash out with it to pay with for example..
I realize this is an old topic, but do you still have an override button in the UK? We don't in Canada. If they have a chip, they must enter their pin. The keypad has a single bump on the 5, so that the visually impaired can use the terminal, with a larger OK (enter) button. And some cards are encoded at the central so that if they are entered via the chip reader, to print the form for signature. We have absolutely no control in that regard.
We can still process US cards with the magnetic swipe, but all other cards have to go chip and pin, if it is chip enabled. We take liability on the transaction if the card has a chip and we decide to go magnetic stripe.
I know that the European Parliament passed a resolution that allows European banks to start to remove the magnetic stripes. As a result, a few US banks have started to issue chip and pin cards.
Canada is supposed to be phasing out magnetic stripes on the ATMS as of next year, but I don't know if that will limit US users as well. Have they started that in the UK?
We don't have a specific button you just process it in a slightly different way. What is starting to come in now from the USA is cards with a picture of the card owner on them which i think is a good idea.

We don't have a specific button you just process it in a slightly different way. What is starting to come in now from the USA is cards with a picture of the card owner on them which i think is a good idea.
We've seen those cards with pictures for a long time, but they really don't do anything other than make you feel better that it is the right person. Still has the same liability. What we are seeing are more of those MasterCard/Visa branded debit cards, but they are just credit cards around here. I haven't had a US debit transaction in three years... no one seems to have the unbranded NYCE network cards anymore. Still getting some in Canada, thankfully.... the processing charge is just 6c for the whole transaction!

A friend is interested in the swipe machine that will attach to a smartphone. Anyone here using one? What do you think? Do these also work with tablets? Of course the tablet would have to have wi fi or 4 g connection to use it. She wants to use a shows where she sells her jewelry.

People on the PAII forum are liking this. They say it is a bit more in charges but that once you find out all the charges your processor is really charging you it's not any more expensive. It's a flat rate I think they said. I'm just repeating..we are talking about the Square. right?
RIki

Looks interesting. I wonder how they handle the security.... I'd be pretty hesitant over anyone handing me their iphone or ipod to swipe my card and sign on screen. It wouldn't take someone very long to create a fraud version that would simply capture your info so they could use it for who knows what..
swirt said:
Looks interesting. I wonder how they handle the security.... I'd be pretty hesitant over anyone handing me their iphone or ipod to swipe my card and sign on screen. It wouldn't take someone very long to create a fraud version that would simply capture your info so they could use it for who knows what.
This has been around awhile. We had been looking to use it with our iPad. Our DIL used one at a trade show a couple of years ago with her iPhone and loved it.
Swirt, what your saying about fraud potential may be so, but if you use a virtual terminal with gateway like Authorize.net, you're running your transactions on a secure website. We have the opportunity to commit fraud everyday with ready access to customer's credit information. An inkeeper won't stay in business very long if they're not on the up and up.

A friend is interested in the swipe machine that will attach to a smartphone. Anyone here using one? What do you think? Do these also work with tablets? Of course the tablet would have to have wi fi or 4 g connection to use it. She wants to use a shows where she sells her jewelry..
Most of the vendors at our farmers market use this and they love it. It is a flat % no matter what card someone is using. As relatively few people have a plain vanilla card nowadays, it is probably pretty close to what we're paying by having the machine and all the attendent fees. I think it is 2.75%.
If your friend is selling at fairs and the like I think she'll really like not having to turn away potential buyers because she doesn't have the means to run cc's.
I would seriously consider this when my card machine dies. The customer gets a receipt emailed to them if they want one. The funds are deposited the next day, which most processors don't do.
Do not know if it works with a tablet but it should say that on the Square website.

A friend is interested in the swipe machine that will attach to a smartphone. Anyone here using one? What do you think? Do these also work with tablets? Of course the tablet would have to have wi fi or 4 g connection to use it. She wants to use a shows where she sells her jewelry..
Most of the vendors at our farmers market use this and they love it. It is a flat % no matter what card someone is using. As relatively few people have a plain vanilla card nowadays, it is probably pretty close to what we're paying by having the machine and all the attendent fees. I think it is 2.75%.
If your friend is selling at fairs and the like I think she'll really like not having to turn away potential buyers because she doesn't have the means to run cc's.
I would seriously consider this when my card machine dies. The customer gets a receipt emailed to them if they want one. The funds are deposited the next day, which most processors don't do.
Do not know if it works with a tablet but it should say that on the Square website.
Remember that US is now starting to move towards EMV and buying new equipment that is not EMV compliant might not be in your best interest. See http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/interviews.php?interviewID=1354
ATMs have to be EMV compliant in the US by the end of 2013. The shift in liability happens at the end of 2015 in the US. (But will end a lot of the PCI compliance issues).

I know a couple of businesses in my town who have been using Square for a couple of years. They love it.
SO GREAT to see Morticia's photo pop up from time to time here. She just has the most perfect "I see right through you; don't even TRY to mess with me" expression I've ever seen!

I know a couple of businesses in my town who have been using Square for a couple of years. They love it.
SO GREAT to see Morticia's photo pop up from time to time here. She just has the most perfect "I see right through you; don't even TRY to mess with me" expression I've ever seen!.
Arkansawyer said:
SO GREAT to see Morticia's photo pop up from time to time here. She just has the most perfect "I see right through you; don't even TRY to mess with me" expression I've ever seen!
She looks like every mom you tried to pull one over on as a kid.

SO GREAT to see Morticia's photo pop up from time to time here. She just has the most perfect "I see right through you; don't even TRY to mess with me" expression I've ever seen!.
Yeah...I realized this was an old thread...but didn't want to start a new one on a similar topic. Yeah Morticia:)

I checked up and you don't have to pay for the reader, so I guess it's fine. But I would start asking the question of what they are going to do as EMV comes into place and you will have to read a chip instead of a magnetic strip.

I checked up and you don't have to pay for the reader, so I guess it's fine. But I would start asking the question of what they are going to do as EMV comes into place and you will have to read a chip instead of a magnetic strip.
It is possible that we will see strip/chip cards for awhile here. I had a guest the other day with a chip card, but it still had the strip. We can handle all of the cards from Europe for some reason, unless they are getting special cards to travel here. I guess when we travel to Europe next year we should find out if our old strip-type cards will be accepted.

It is possible that we will see strip/chip cards for awhile here. I had a guest the other day with a chip card, but it still had the strip. We can handle all of the cards from Europe for some reason, unless they are getting special cards to travel here. I guess when we travel to Europe next year we should find out if our old strip-type cards will be accepted.
Cards still have both, although card issuers in Europe are welcome to remove magnetic strips from ATM cards already. Our ATM machines read the chip first.
The schedule that I saw basically is saying this....
ATMs must be chip ready by the end of December 2013 and have to read chip first by that date.
Credit card processing must be chip ready by the end of December 2015 and if you use the magnetic strip instead, the merchant is liable for the entire loss. Basically, swiping the card is not proof of card in hand by that date, since the magnetic strips can easily be duplicated, only processing via the chip is proof of card in hand.
I assume that many of the processors in the US are rolling out their plans already. They have the experience from Canada. Chase, Elavon, First Data, Global, Moneris and TD all have experience the change over from the merchant standpoint. Citi, Chase, BofA(MBNA) and Capital One have all issued chip card already. So some should be ready to roll already.
I assure you that your stripe card will be accepted, most places. There are a few notable exceptions... automated machines may not accept your cards, for example the train tickets cannot be bought at the automatic machine with a stripe card, you need to go to the teller, where they can process it. The rental bicycles in Paris can't be rented without a chip and some of the telephones. Some department stores will require that you process the charge at customer service as the tills no longer have stripe readers. But basically it's just inconvenience. One advantage, chip only can't be used at the toll booths in France, yet.
Thomas Cook offers a prepaid debit card (in the US) that does have a chip, though.

Unless we go en masse to chip cards here in the States quickly (which is not going to happen), I can't imagine merchants in Europe not accepting swipe cards. They can run the magnetic stripe/swipe cards on their machines...they usually ask. It's no biggie. The chip cards are supposedly more secure.

Unless we go en masse to chip cards here in the States quickly (which is not going to happen), I can't imagine merchants in Europe not accepting swipe cards. They can run the magnetic stripe/swipe cards on their machines...they usually ask. It's no biggie. The chip cards are supposedly more secure.
If you see the link below, you will see that there is now an official roadmap for chips in the US. Or see corporate.visa.com/newsroom/press-releases/press1142.jsp
I assume since the liability shift is scheduled for 1 October 2015 according to Visa, that your cards and your machines will be ready by that time.

If you see the link below, you will see that there is now an official roadmap for chips in the US. Or see corporate.visa.com/newsroom/press-releases/press1142.jsp
I assume since the liability shift is scheduled for 1 October 2015 according to Visa, that your cards and your machines will be ready by that time.
That's about 3 1/2 years away and it's only one type of bank card...plus, there are a plethora of private label cards. The operative word was quickly in my post. The technology is already in place in many respects. My dh works in the industry for the largest credit card processor in the U.S. ....

Back