A PITA rant!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, maybe the old curmudgeon didn't like my place, but I'll tell you what he DID like - all the complimentary items like the bottled water, cookies, coffee (of course had to use the Keurig when the full pot was right there!), chocolates, etc.
It worked out even better than I could have expected. On Sunday morning, the one couple that took the room that I had to turn that day left very early. I knew beforehand this was the arrangement. Didn't have breakfast. So, I got to turn the room right away while DH was in the kitchen monitoring things. This meant that I got to go to DD's football game to watch her cheer. Would have missed it had I had to wait for check-outs and turn-over of room. AND the new guest left me a $20 tip! The old farts left nothing but a lot of mess and a room I had to air out because of old-lady perfume!.
Was your DD's football game what we call soccer? I ask because the best kicker on our high school football (US version of football) is a young lady named Emily. And yes, she is also great at soccer.

No, we're here in PA, so football is football. DD is a cheerleader! There is a girl on one of the younger teams, though. I understand that she's pretty good, too.

Well, maybe the old curmudgeon didn't like my place, but I'll tell you what he DID like - all the complimentary items like the bottled water, cookies, coffee (of course had to use the Keurig when the full pot was right there!), chocolates, etc.
It worked out even better than I could have expected. On Sunday morning, the one couple that took the room that I had to turn that day left very early. I knew beforehand this was the arrangement. Didn't have breakfast. So, I got to turn the room right away while DH was in the kitchen monitoring things. This meant that I got to go to DD's football game to watch her cheer. Would have missed it had I had to wait for check-outs and turn-over of room. AND the new guest left me a $20 tip! The old farts left nothing but a lot of mess and a room I had to air out because of old-lady perfume!.
That's great! And you still got the satisfaction of knowing that they ended up with that bad hotel and that worse breakfast. :)

No, we're here in PA, so football is football. DD is a cheerleader! There is a girl on one of the younger teams, though. I understand that she's pretty good, too..
I knew where you were, but thought you were talking Oz.

No, we're here in PA, so football is football. DD is a cheerleader! There is a girl on one of the younger teams, though. I understand that she's pretty good, too..
gillumhouse said:
Soccer is not big in Australia, only with the kids, like here in the USA. Rugby is big there, Rugby Union, Rugby League (which is popular here in the colleges, but not professional like down under).

gillumhouse said:
Soccer is not big in Australia, only with the kids, like here in the USA. Rugby is big there, Rugby Union, Rugby League (which is popular here in the colleges, but not professional like down under).
Thanks. I like learning new things about places. I just thought we were the only ones who were not soccer - but it is beginning to take hold here (WV) too.

gillumhouse said:
Thanks. I like learning new things about places. I just thought we were the only ones who were not soccer - but it is beginning to take hold here (WV) too.
In Canada, Football is a bit different than American Football. The field is longer (110 yards) and wider (65 yards) with 20 yard endfields. 12 players instead of 11, an extra backfielder. There are only 3 downs, not 4. There are other differences, including that 20 players must be Canadian and smaller team sizes than in the US. And only 20 seconds to get the ball in play, not 45.
But soccer is also quite popular here. Basketball is popular in schools, but not that big. And in part of the country Cricket is popular, but not here, locally.

gillumhouse said:
In Canada, Football is a bit different than American Football. The field is longer (110 yards) and wider (65 yards) with 20 yard endfields. 12 players instead of 11, an extra backfielder. There are only 3 downs, not 4. There are other differences, including that 20 players must be Canadian and smaller team sizes than in the US. And only 20 seconds to get the ball in play, not 45.
But soccer is also quite popular here. Basketball is popular in schools, but not that big. And in part of the country Cricket is popular, but not here, locally.
Tom Southern (or Southerin - not sure of the spelling) from Toronto, OHIO where I graduated from high school played Canadian football and was quite good from what I understand. I do not know what team he played for but it was way back in the time machine - the 60s.

gillumhouse said:
Duplicate.

She obv doesn't know them very well, or was trying to change them. BTW How many of your family/friends stay at B&B's? NONE of mine. Most don't even know what we do here...
A few that have tell horror stories. One said to me "Do you serve french toast?" and then said they did a B&B road trip where they stayed at diff B&B's for 5 nights and had french toast (diff ways) at every single one of them. That was the first and the last B&B journey for them.
I bought an anniversary stay for my parents and my mother ended up sleeping in the arm chair because the innkeeper had sprayed Fabreeze all over the linens before check in, they left the next day and checked out leaving a day early, and Mom went and got antihistamine.
An Aunt and Uncle went to one and only told me about when they heard we were going to be innkeepers and bought an inn, they said the innkeepers were in their business the whole time, my aunt was going through stage 4 cancer treatments and they just wanted a change of scenery with a waterview and peace and quiet. They were very anti-B&B after that.
And then we had so many bad experiences that may even be the reason we opted to do this in the first place! We wanted to be the "great innkeepers" not the snippy arrogant ones, who seem put out over everything. Who don't give a rip about you one way or the other.
Yes, booked a B&B in Leavenworth WA with the snow falling they closed the outdoor hot-tub, the whole reason we booked this inn was to be in ski country and with an outdoor hot-tub in the snow. They also said NO KIDS AT ALL, and there were little kids there.
The B&B that put out white bread still frozen from the freezer to make your own toast and a handful f oranges, the coffee pot (MR Coffee just sitting out there for the entire 5 rooms) was empty.
Those are just a couple, I have plenty more you have probably all heard before, but I found the B&B's in other countries were awesome! From Wales to Costa Rica to the Great Barrier Reef. Great B&Bs, great experiences, wonderful! Outdoor showers, smoothies made to order, libraries full of books, romance, quiet, scenery. Great things! Great places!.
The problem is there are too many "innkeepers" who either thought it was going to be easy-peasy and are burned out or have been doing it too long and want out but cannot because money is so tight. I have known 2 ladies who REALLY wanted to do B & B but were so totally not right for it. Neither one ever did it - thank goodness. I was saved from telling them the truth because I could see early on that it was never going to happen - probably because they were so wrong for it.
I have sent 2 of my sons to B & Bs and they loved it.
gillumhouse said:
The problem is there are too many "innkeepers" who either thought it was going to be easy-peasy
So true. Not just easy, but they expect that guests will worship their innkeeper's personal, better-than Martha Stewart style. Truth: guest appreciation is important and we do get appreciated, but B&B is 95% hard work, attention to detail, and a long day.
I have sent 2 of my sons to B & Bs and they loved it.
Our sons now like to stay in B&B's. When I first suggested B&B as a vacation option, they complained about paying more; I had to smack 'em upside, and remind them that real hospitality is worth a little more and that the girlfriend would appreciate being treated as a bit special. I think that last one paid off.

Back