A reality check for the newbie, please...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Handed Jill

Reaction score
Lovely folks checked out this morning. Really, truly nice people. Great to chat with.
So, I served them two breakfasts during their stay. At the first one, the husband said, "You don't have to make all this for me." We had a little chat about how I have to guess at the amount of food that a guest might want, and that I'd rather err by offering too much than too little. And I talked about how I like to offer a variety of choices (in baked goods, not entree) each morning, because, let's face it, you're not at home, you're getting away for a treat. You should have something you really like, not settle for something you feel lukewarm about. They seemed to understand and agree with my reasoning, and I followed up by warning them that the next morning (today) I would be serving a side with a fairly large portion, and that they shouldn't feel bad if they didn't want to finish it.
So, after breakfast this morning, they were teasing me that at their next visit, I should make one breakfast to split between them. So, you'd think I'd be feeling bad about over feeding them.
Except they ate it all.
Okay, not EVERY crumb. But they ate very well - left a tiny bit of this or that. That item I was serving a large portion of today? They tackled that easily.
Sooooo......I'm right to "listen" to what they're doing as opposed to what they're saying....right? That is, keep making what I'm making. I did offer next time to serve family style instead of plated so they can choose their own portions.
(I just can't think they were really "unhappy" since they kept mentioning "next time." Of course, there isn't actually a next time until they book it...
wink_smile.gif
)

A lot of people will finish what is in front of them to be polite. If they are saying it is too much you can plate it up however you want but I wouldn't mention the portions being big, small, medium, etc. It is what it is. Why are you seving what you are already saying is 'large?' Why not cut it back if even you think it's too big?

I have always served very generous portions. I think a plentiful plate adds to the 'value added' experience of a B & B. Often people will ask to take their leftovers home with them. I am fine with that too. Makes me feel good that people think enough of my breakfasts to want to take the left overs home.

I too serve large portions. It's part of the luxury, pampering, over indulgence feeling of a stay with us. Where one place offers 1 fragrence of body lotions, we offer 3, etc. We do a 4 course breakfast. I would much rather err on the side of having too much, than too little. I'm happy to have them save their muffins for an afternoon snack...many guests tell me they eat them as a snack in the afternoon and don't eat lunch. It's part of the value.
I once stayed at a B&B where we were served a plated breakfast and it was pretty small. Good though it was, we felt like it was the amount we probably should eat for breakfast, but we were on vacation and we wanted to be spoiled. I didn't say anything to the innkeeper, but I noticed about 6 months after our stay, a guest left a TA review commenting on the small breakfast. After that, I understand from reading subsequent reviews, the breakfast is now more substantial.
People tell us all the time "there was so much food!", and then they write a review saying how wonderful breakfast was.
By the way, we don't throw much food away. Somehow they find room for it all!

A lot of people will finish what is in front of them to be polite. If they are saying it is too much you can plate it up however you want but I wouldn't mention the portions being big, small, medium, etc. It is what it is. Why are you seving what you are already saying is 'large?' Why not cut it back if even you think it's too big?.
Because it was already in the freezer. These were the last two from a batch of the Tipsy Butlet Sausage braids. "One" portion seems to be too large for most of my guests. Honestly, one portion is too much for me along with anything else (eggs). But the taste and the wow factor is a huge plus - people seem to really like seeing that braid on their plates. I keep thinking I need to figure out how to make them just a bit smaller for our purposes.

I too serve large portions. It's part of the luxury, pampering, over indulgence feeling of a stay with us. Where one place offers 1 fragrence of body lotions, we offer 3, etc. We do a 4 course breakfast. I would much rather err on the side of having too much, than too little. I'm happy to have them save their muffins for an afternoon snack...many guests tell me they eat them as a snack in the afternoon and don't eat lunch. It's part of the value.
I once stayed at a B&B where we were served a plated breakfast and it was pretty small. Good though it was, we felt like it was the amount we probably should eat for breakfast, but we were on vacation and we wanted to be spoiled. I didn't say anything to the innkeeper, but I noticed about 6 months after our stay, a guest left a TA review commenting on the small breakfast. After that, I understand from reading subsequent reviews, the breakfast is now more substantial.
People tell us all the time "there was so much food!", and then they write a review saying how wonderful breakfast was.
By the way, we don't throw much food away. Somehow they find room for it all!.
My guests also comment about how much food thre is as they say how wonderful it looks. I tell them I serve family style so each guest can comfortably take as much or as little as they wish. That I once stayed at a wonderful B & B that served a plated breakfast - it was beutiful and tasted wonderful - and I would have loved to have just a little bit more but did not want to be a pig and ask for more. The guests then smile and dig in.
That inn by the was has now retired, had wonderful inkeepers and a lovely inn. I still wish there had been more of that breakfast because it was soooooo good!
My most asked question from guests is - may we have the rest of our bread? Question TO guests - would you like a care package of muffins to take with you? THAT brings smiles and a big yes! (It also gets the extra muffins out of the house - one reason I make the mini-muffins is to have the extras for "care" packages.)

A lot of people will finish what is in front of them to be polite. If they are saying it is too much you can plate it up however you want but I wouldn't mention the portions being big, small, medium, etc. It is what it is. Why are you seving what you are already saying is 'large?' Why not cut it back if even you think it's too big?.
There's nothing worse than having a skimpy breakfast at a bed and breakfast. ;-)

By the way, we don't throw much food away. Somehow they find room for it all!.
thumbs_up.gif
Breakfast IS the other B in Bed & Breakfast! :)

There's nothing worse than having a skimpy breakfast at a bed and breakfast. ;-)
We got ding'd for skimpy breakfasts so we now use the lunch size plates instead of the dinner plates. A lot of it is perception, not reality. What I'm looking for now are plates with deep rims but smaller 'bowls.' You get both- large plate but smaller serving size.

There's a restaurant that has absolutely delicious food but they serve at least 2 or maybe more portions per plate. Both my husband and I have asked for smaller portions and said we'd pay the same but don't want all that food (or waste) but they still bring the huge platter. We no longer go there. I've felt that way at BBs as well sometimes. If I leave food they think I've not l liked it so I tend to eat much more than I wish to. We now more often stay at hotels rather than bbs because of this.

There's a restaurant that has absolutely delicious food but they serve at least 2 or maybe more portions per plate. Both my husband and I have asked for smaller portions and said we'd pay the same but don't want all that food (or waste) but they still bring the huge platter. We no longer go there. I've felt that way at BBs as well sometimes. If I leave food they think I've not l liked it so I tend to eat much more than I wish to. We now more often stay at hotels rather than bbs because of this..
I hate when guests apologize for not finishing their food. But, you're right that they want to be sure I know it's not because they didn't like it. And it's why some guests will eat much more than they want.
As for restaurants...we bring it all home for lunch the next day! I did go to a place the other night that had a prix fixe menu and they explained the portions were 'smaller' than on the ala carte menu. It was the pefect amount and I would order from that menu again. I got to have a starter, entree and a dessert for the price of the entree on the ala carte. And I wasn't stuffed, there was still 'room.'

I often serve what may be considered small portions, but usually offer to make more when I see the plate is clean. I am a single mom of 3 kids and the idea of throwing food away because it was too much for the guest is sickening to me. I had 2 really nice men stay Saturday night, found me on google maps (there is a booking tip for you). I only made them 2 slices of french toast (very yummy-they even complemented me on it-cinnamon raisin eggnog french toast). When they left, they each left at least 1/2 a slice. So there you go. Had I served a larger breakfast, they would have left even more for me to dispose of simply because they were out late the night before and did not have a morning appetite.
keep in mind, my b&b is in a city center, where I have guests come for business, pleasure, school and so many other things, they are not always looking for a big breakfast, just a comfortable place to sleep at a reasonable price.

I would bring a doggy bag but this restaurant is 1 1/2 hrs from home and we used to stop there when we went to this town for major shopping.
As far as health goes people are supposed to stop eating BEFORE they feel full. And now some of you can rant that we are not policemen of how much food people should eat but I also can't stand food waste. I think we in North America especially should be ashamed of the amount of food we waste (and consume). I say this after gaining almost 10 lbs. in Saudi Arabia.
sad_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif

Eating every crumb can be because they were taught to not waste, eating every crumb because it was delicious! And they can now skip lunch!

Back