a recipe + tips on making crepes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]a recipe + tips on making crepes. http://t.co/SEcUoD2[/COLOR]
egg feta and sun dried tomatoes! yum
I am sharing this as most innkeepers will only make SWEET crepes, branch out to the savory side, these are awshum

Wow, their proportions are SO different than mine. And I won't touch the batter for 60 minutes, to get the flour to release. Of course, I don't have the fancy flat top crepe maker... I just use a crepe pan. My proportions are 1 cup flour, 4 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 cup water, 2 T butter and 1/2 t salt. That for white flour crepes. Different for buckwheat or gluten-free.

Wow, their proportions are SO different than mine. And I won't touch the batter for 60 minutes, to get the flour to release. Of course, I don't have the fancy flat top crepe maker... I just use a crepe pan. My proportions are 1 cup flour, 4 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 cup water, 2 T butter and 1/2 t salt. That for white flour crepes. Different for buckwheat or gluten-free..
I would be interested in your gluten free crepe recipe! I have sucessfully converted my banana pancake recipe to gluten free and crepes would be a nice treat as well.
I'm also looking for a savory filling that is not too gourmet. Our guests enjoy a more country fresh style breakfast rather than things like salmon or other high end breakfast fare. They don't even like poached eggs here.
RIki

3/4 c buckwheat flour
1/4 c gluten-free flour mix (any as long as it has no starches)
1/2 t salt
1 1/4 cup milk or milk substitute (for dairy free)
4 eggs
2 T canola oil
You can add water or more oil if you don't like the consistancy, but you have to mix this at least an hour ahead of time to let the flour rest. Once it has rested, you can always add more liquid... but you can't add flour without it having to rest. It is VERY important to not use starches, like potato or corn because they will make the crepe fluff up.
As for filling, our favourite is to mix ricotta, lemon peel, vanilla and a little honey, but obviously we do different thing. Try this... one egg, scrambled, two spears of asparagus, some old cheddar and just add two tomato slices just before serving, so they aren't heated).
Blintz-8.jpg

With leftover crepes, you can save them between double layers of wax paper (so they will seperate easily) or filled and rolled (ie blintzes) in wax paper. Label them and you have a home made GF breakfast ready easily with no commercial products. If you want to use pie fillings, make sure that you add lemon juice, otherwise they are too sweet and too thick. To roll easily, put the filling to one side, fold over the edge and pull back to force the filling sideways. Then roll the ends in and just roll as if you are making an egg roll. (The filling in the illustration is TOO liquidy if you ask me).
But other simple things you can put inside.. bananas and nutella, raspberry jam (or cocoa raspberry jam if you made some), egg and bacon, egg and sausage. Heck, you can even put the bacon down and then fry a sunny-side up egg in the crepe. Just fold over the edges into a square with the egg facing up.

3/4 c buckwheat flour
1/2 t salt
4 eggs
2 T canola oil
You can add water or more oil if you don't like the consistancy, but you have to mix this at least an hour ahead of time to let the flour rest. Once it has rested, you can always add more liquid... but you can't add flour without it having to rest. It is VERY important to not use starches, like potato or corn because they will make the crepe fluff up.
As for filling, our favourite is to mix ricotta, lemon peel, vanilla and a little honey, but obviously we do different thing. Try this... one egg, scrambled, two spears of asparagus, some old cheddar and just add two tomato slices just before serving, so they aren't heated).
Blintz-8.jpg

With leftover crepes, you can save them between double layers of wax paper (so they will seperate easily) or filled and rolled (ie blintzes) in wax paper. Label them and you have a home made GF breakfast ready easily with no commercial products. If you want to use pie fillings, make sure that you add lemon juice, otherwise they are too sweet and too thick. To roll easily, put the filling to one side, fold over the edge and pull back to force the filling sideways. Then roll the ends in and just roll as if you are making an egg roll. (The filling in the illustration is TOO liquidy if you ask me).
But other simple things you can put inside.. bananas and nutella, raspberry jam (or cocoa raspberry jam if you made some), egg and bacon, egg and sausage. Heck, you can even put the bacon down and then fry a sunny-side up egg in the crepe. Just fold over the edges into a square with the egg facing up..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
3/4 c buckwheat flour
1/2 t salt
4 eggs
2 T canola oil
Thank you very much! My pancakes are so popular I'm on a gluten free roll here! Now out to experiment!
Riki

Back