A Reintroduction--It's Great to Be Back

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisandShelley

Reaction score
I found my last post to be almost 2 years ago and it hit me how long I have been out of the loop. It is wonderful to be back in the innkeeper's role again after almost 2 years of absence. Since it has been a while, I thought I should start fresh with a new introduction.

My wife Shelley and I started innkeeping when we bought the Wildflower Bed and Breakfast On the Square in June of 2015. We started with a 6 room inn and expanded from there. Since then we have have added two rooms to the Bed and Breakfast, built a small event center/music venue (called the Mountain View Meeting Place), and built two cottages right next door. Over the last 6 years, we have made wonderful friends in this little mountain community and formed close friendships with many guests.

In late 2019, my offshore oilfield consulting company offered me a project that paid too well to refuse. During that project, the COVID pandemic broke out and we had to close the inn for a time. The oil field took a nose dive, so in order to save our business, I obtained my CDL and started driving a truck. At the time, we didn't know how long we were going to be closed: a month, a year, who knew? Luckily, we were able to open up at a reduced capacity, then eventually back to full capacity.

This summer, my wife's father had some health problems, so she went to stay with him and help him recover. So I came off the road and now I'm back innkeeping!

I didn't realize how much I missed being here. This is the first time that I have ran the business solo, but I am discovering things about myself I didn't know. I actually LOVE cooking and baking! Who knew? I am seeing a lot of our wonderful return guests who I haven't seen in a year or two. I am reconnecting with the local music community through our shows. We are having our highest revenue year this year.

Now that I am not running around like a headless chicken, I can sit down and reconnect with the Innspiring folks. I hope you all are doing well and that your businesses are staying booked.

It really is great to be back. 😁

Chris

Sounds like you’ve got a lot of arrows to your quiver. That really helps when life happens. Glad you’ve discovered you enjoy what you’re doing!

Sounds like you’ve got a lot of arrows to your quiver. That really helps when life happens. Glad you’ve discovered you enjoy what you’re doing!
Hey, Morticia. I hope I don't have to use those arrows again. I hope you are doing well.

It is how we handle things when life smacks us in the face that tells the story of our mettle. Glad you did not crawl in a corner and suck your thumb. And when stepping up is the time we discover ourselves. Hope there is no kitchen conflict when Shelley returns. Welcome back to the innkeeping world.

Back