A simple call or e-mail would be nice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
I don't understrand why owners of Inns that are looking to employ innkeepers can't call or e-mail a potential employee that they have spoken to and told that they would be calling to set up a second phone interview cant just CALL or E-MAIL the potential Innkeeper that they found someone else that would be better fit for the position?
I know I've had this peeve before and I know that it just takes lots of time and energy to find the right employee-but I just don't get that if you said you were going to do something-either DO IT or DON'T SAY YOU WILL DO IT! I also know that potential employers from outside this business don't call either but inkkeeping positions arent published in the classified most of the time, and if you hire one they sometimes don't reside in the state where you own the Bed and Breakfast so it takes considerable time and planning on the potential employee's part to come and meet the owner who may be looking for a long-term arrangement.
I guess it just frustrates me that I take the time and effort (which I should cause im the one looking for the job) to call-re-call or re-email (which I should) but when we finally talk to some potential employer and this employer said that they will call at a certain time period to talk further-and doesn't-just makes me really upset and its unprofessional. if that employer does hire someone else -could you please just write a short e-mail saying you've hired someone? -call the listing where you put your ad and take it out-cause I go to many listings and the same job has been there sometimes for a year or more-then I wonder if its still open so i spend time e-mailing them again-just to find out that its been filled.
I know that this is the way it is, and its still frustrating to us Innkeepers that would not dream of not calling a potential employer because if we didn't that would be the end of EVER getting that job in the future.
All we want is a call or e-mail saying that you all hired someone else and maybe kept our info for future reference.
Just Venting-love this forum!

Sadly people have lost "common courtesy" - in addition employers receive SO MANY apps now days with unemployment that they just don't have the time, although a simple form email would do
I am not sure if you did it or not but a word to the wise for everyone looking for work - make sure YOU follow up within 48 hours of your first contact with a WRITTEN "thank you I enjoyed meeting with you and look forward to hearing further" and try to mention something specific about the company you interviewed with. Both emails or letters should be addressed to the specific person and not "Dear Sir / Madam" or "To whom it may concern". So many people miss doing this basic step - whether or not they are interested in the job or not
Kinda reminds me how many people cannot fill out a simple application and answer "YES" to the question SEX. (Which is why many forms now days say GENDER ...)

So sorry for your frustration. Yes, common courtesy is not common any longer...if they were this disjointed in the hiring process, imagine working for them! You are better off working for someone who respects your time.

sorry.
it happens in many industries. insurance, landscaping, dental offices, inns, city offices, banks ...
i've applied for many, many jobs ... always sending my thank you note (using appropriate capital letters) and mentioning how much i'd like to work there.
maddening when i've been told by the interviewer, i will let you know by next week 'because i like to be told' and then THEY don't get back in touch either.
so i call, and they don't take my call (there's my answer right there) so i leave the nice message and still don't hear back. yuck.
hardest of all i think for the potential 'employer' is to let someone know that, even though they haven't yet filled the position, the applicant is not quite the fit they are looking for. how do you tell someone that? it's very hard. so they just don't get in touch at all. and you see the ad repeating and wonder .... did they forget about me? because you know you'd be perfect for that job!
i have even applied for jobs in a few coffee shops (it's a paycheck) and you know who they hired ... cute teen girls. months go by, and the new girls leave and the ads reappear and they hire other cute teen girls. that's who they want serving their coffee. they can't say it in their ad, but i get it.
if you don't hear back it's like that annoying but spot on book 'they're just not that into you'.
something better will come along.
heart.gif

I have the same issues. :( Sometimes it would be nice just to get an acknowledgement that they received my info.

For those of you looking for some extra income (and I am not selling anything, I don't get a comm and this is not a multi level scheme) take a look at www.arise.com ... it's a "real" work at home job - I worked them for 5+ years but just got something that pays more, think $8.50-$10/hr they have some good clients Disney, Staples, Carnival, Intuit, Walgreens, Home Depot, B&N etc .. it is an "unusual" situation since it is unpaid training time, you do need to pay for the initial CS training free to $99 depending if they are offering specials, client training $25-$250 depending on the client and you do need to be incorp for liability (we take customer personal and cc info) and have a 2nd non VOIP phone line .. why do you have to pay? well they find people will not drop out so quickly if they have made an investment .. $49/month for "support" but again it's not a scam, it's not stuffing envelopes and 15-20 hrs a week depending on client most require 5 hours on weekends you choose your own sched depending on avail (posted) hours and you can change it from week to week, you work in 30 min blocks so works well for us Innkeepers
Again I am NOT selling anything, I don't have anything to do with the company anymore but right now I know a lot of people can do with a couple of hundred extra per week

Other "real" WAH companies but their sched are not as flexible or have set schedules but don't have the "up front" investment
vipdesk.com
convergys.com
teletech.com
Hertz and U Haul also offer work from home positions

thanks you all-and I always send an e-mail about the "thank you it was nice speaking to you"

For those of you looking for some extra income (and I am not selling anything, I don't get a comm and this is not a multi level scheme) take a look at www.arise.com ... it's a "real" work at home job - I worked them for 5+ years but just got something that pays more, think $8.50-$10/hr they have some good clients Disney, Staples, Carnival, Intuit, Walgreens, Home Depot, B&N etc .. it is an "unusual" situation since it is unpaid training time, you do need to pay for the initial CS training free to $99 depending if they are offering specials, client training $25-$250 depending on the client and you do need to be incorp for liability (we take customer personal and cc info) and have a 2nd non VOIP phone line .. why do you have to pay? well they find people will not drop out so quickly if they have made an investment .. $49/month for "support" but again it's not a scam, it's not stuffing envelopes and 15-20 hrs a week depending on client most require 5 hours on weekends you choose your own sched depending on avail (posted) hours and you can change it from week to week, you work in 30 min blocks so works well for us Innkeepers
Again I am NOT selling anything, I don't have anything to do with the company anymore but right now I know a lot of people can do with a couple of hundred extra per week.
Thanks for the WAH info. You never know...when I quit and go into the biz full time I may want a side job for more security...
RIki

Back