A suggestion for Trip Advisor (if you're listening in...)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
In recently researching a potential purchase thru Amazon, I realized how helpful not only the user reviews but the COMMENTS that can be posted to specific reviews are in getting to the real information you want about a particular product or service.
In the comments and the reviewers' replies you see all kinds of questions get answered, specifics nailed down, and details parsed. I think this would be a really helpful addition to your lodging property reviews. It would help differentiate between "seasoned" reviewers and those who obviously had a very negative experience (perceived or real) and are just looking to vent. All reviews would carry more merit if their authors were willing to answer questions from other users about the place they stayed. This along with a verifiable user ID would really go a long way towards establishing credibility for the info listed on your site.

Don you are able to do this, it asks you when you review if you are willing to be contacted by others with questions. It is not POSTED on the TA review, it is via email.

Don you are able to do this, it asks you when you review if you are willing to be contacted by others with questions. It is not POSTED on the TA review, it is via email..
That's what I mean, it needs to be publicly viewable, like Amazon's are. If you're willing to write a review you ought to be willing to defend it if someone asks you about it, IMO.

Don you are able to do this, it asks you when you review if you are willing to be contacted by others with questions. It is not POSTED on the TA review, it is via email..
That's what I mean, it needs to be publicly viewable, like Amazon's are. If you're willing to write a review you ought to be willing to defend it if someone asks you about it, IMO.
Don Draper said:
I would pay to NOT have that shown on my listing, which I pay for. PLEASE NO!

Don Draper said:
Well that's kinda the whole point. They have ZERO credibility and ZERO interest in gaining any. It's not functional at all. I might actually consider using it if they would take steps to be more transparent.

Don Draper said:
Well that's kinda the whole point. They have ZERO credibility and ZERO interest in gaining any. It's not functional at all. I might actually consider using it if they would take steps to be more transparent.
Don Draper said:
Not sure what you mean, who has ZERO credibility, Trip Advisor? Millions use trip advisor, here and overseas. People use it to plan entire vacations.
There are forums on TA for people to ask questions, or answer them.

Don Draper said:
Don Draper said:
Not sure what you mean, who has ZERO credibility, Trip Advisor? Millions use trip advisor, here and overseas. People use it to plan entire vacations.
There are forums on TA for people to ask questions, or answer them.
Joey Bloggs said:
Not sure what you mean, who has ZERO credibility, Trip Advisor?
Yep. Anyone can write anything without ever validating they even stayed at the property. There's no validity to it at all. Bogus reviews are very common place, both good and bad.
I do like the forums there and use them frequently for planning trips, there's no reason they couldn't let that same kind of style be in the reviews themselves. Instead of the current system which lets anyone get on and spout off about any little thing without ANY accountability.
I know it's never gonna happen, just thought they might be listening so I'd make a suggestion, an earnest one that I think would make their service more valuable.

AND, unlike bb.com, TA makes you jump through hoops to post a review. Why bother making you go through all the trouble of opening an account if they're not going to verify if you even stayed at the place you're posting a negative review about? Makes no sense.........

Allowing reviewers more opportunity to bash your business is just asking for trouble IMHO. Lies or exaggerations will only multiply. While it may lead to lessen the credibility of the reviewer, there will still be some that will be taken in and keep the topic fresh. This also would feed TA a heck of a lot more email material.

Allowing reviewers more opportunity to bash your business is just asking for trouble IMHO. Lies or exaggerations will only multiply. While it may lead to lessen the credibility of the reviewer, there will still be some that will be taken in and keep the topic fresh. This also would feed TA a heck of a lot more email material..
What seems to happen, at least at the particular reviews and replies I was reading on Amazon, is that other users who LIKE the product will QUESTION a poor review. In most cases it reveals user error on the part of the negative reviewer. You just get a more balanced picture, versus one person being able to "have the last word". IMHO management responses are a complete waste of time, without a true give and take you're just going to get he said/she said.

Allowing reviewers more opportunity to bash your business is just asking for trouble IMHO. Lies or exaggerations will only multiply. While it may lead to lessen the credibility of the reviewer, there will still be some that will be taken in and keep the topic fresh. This also would feed TA a heck of a lot more email material..
What seems to happen, at least at the particular reviews and replies I was reading on Amazon, is that other users who LIKE the product will QUESTION a poor review. In most cases it reveals user error on the part of the negative reviewer. You just get a more balanced picture, versus one person being able to "have the last word". IMHO management responses are a complete waste of time, without a true give and take you're just going to get he said/she said.
Don Draper said:
That would be nice, but just how many of our guests will be returning to TA to voice their continued opinion. And I would 100x rather a good reviewer write their own review than to respond to a negive one for many reasons. 1) it carries more weight with the reader, 2) it would carry more weight with TA rankings 3) may be hidden or not be read

Don Draper said:
That would be nice, but just how many of our guests will be returning to TA to voice their continued opinion. And I would 100x rather a good reviewer write their own review than to respond to a negive one for many reasons. 1) it carries more weight with the reader, 2) it would carry more weight with TA rankings 3) may be hidden or not be read
Actually, that's my exact point. The really helpful reviewers are on the site frequently. Some of them are destination experts for their home areas. So they would be returning, and they would do both (post their own positive review and potentially respond to negative ones).
Again, this post is not directed at innkeepers. I know ALL of your feelings about TA *headdesk*. It's a message I shared directly to them, and just putting it here in case certain sets of eyes are reading.
wink_smile.gif

Back