A tea-is $5/person too much?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
The event center here is a part of the Inn-or next door that is and because the power that Be has burned many birdges in town the girl that works there and I have gotten a county agency to bring in some activities like a quilting class,cooking class etc.The first four is quilting classes combined with a tea.
We DH and I estimate a tea for at least $5/person-well that is too much and the director said: "Well maybe we should just serve tea!" WTH...why would you HOST A TEA WITHOUT FOOD! that just makes no f in sense. But that is what im working with , for and against.
So....what is the LEAST we can spend on a tea...of 5-10 people. These people or The Power That Be does not understand that to build the bridges that where burned and as PTB wants us to go into the community and let them know we are here-this Inn has been owned by the same person now for 5years.
Just need some advise...thanks inadvance.

Can you just make a few things that you already have the supplies in your pantry? Scones, mini muffins, etc. There is no way your PTB would ever miss some flour, eggs, etc.
Here's another example of JUST DO IT.

Afternoon Tea or High Tea, then $5 is too low. That would not even sufficiently cover the petitfours.
Sorry I thought you were asking for information, not just another thread complaining about the PTB.

$5 per is too cheap! I think the tea room near me is $12.95 per. I will check it for you on Friday when I get home.

Im low balling it as far as I can, this is a free event for the non-profit that is bringing these people in-and why do something that may give the place PR on a thread.
No im not complaining about PTB--i just thought some of you may have some input on what a normal tea is. I know that not including the tea its around $8-10/person.
Yea im sure that it won't be missed-sugar and such....its just sometimes part of doing business...to bring people here.

And its not my thing-its the event center next door's event and i really don't want to be involved in a half a ed event. not my thing.

I too think $5 is too low for "A Tea", and I don't even know what I'm talking about, in that I've never been to one (and probably never will). But what I picture is worth more than $5. It's at least worth the price of a movie.
It's like the threads that say if your room prices are way low, people will stay away, thinking there's a problem with the room.

OK...need some clarification. Is this county agency charging for the quilting classes? Were they advertised as having refreshments of any kind or specifically a tea or "high" tea? Or did you just commit to serving tea? Or, did you decide that you would add on an optional tea and charge $5/per person for it?
$5/per person is definitely too low for a high tea kind of experience but you haven't really told us what you plan to offer. :)

If it is a cup of tea then round here it is about $4 for that on its own! If it is with cake/scones/pie etc then I would charge at least $10 or you won't breakf even. What sort of numbers is it?

Ok this is it in a nutshell-the non profit only charges a nominal fee to the people that come and will give us some of this to the event center to offset the use of the utilities so this is actually an event that we are having at no charge from us...this is a PR move so that people from outside the area know the event place is here cause PTB has burned too many bridges in town to have any events at this place from this town.
So, this is the price we gave PTB for the Tea, we are not charging for this tea, we are providing the space for it and thought for a good PR move we would offer the High Tea. So....I also think that its too low, I charged $11/person for a tea two years ago at my own B&B. PTB does not understand that this is a PR move.
So, just wanted an opinion on this so that can counteract the complaining with some facts for the owner

That is a totally smart idea their pens are a good free gift from Vista as well carries the marking of your inn and hopefully after the event a positive message.

Ok this is it in a nutshell-the non profit only charges a nominal fee to the people that come and will give us some of this to the event center to offset the use of the utilities so this is actually an event that we are having at no charge from us...this is a PR move so that people from outside the area know the event place is here cause PTB has burned too many bridges in town to have any events at this place from this town.
So, this is the price we gave PTB for the Tea, we are not charging for this tea, we are providing the space for it and thought for a good PR move we would offer the High Tea. So....I also think that its too low, I charged $11/person for a tea two years ago at my own B&B. PTB does not understand that this is a PR move.
So, just wanted an opinion on this so that can counteract the complaining with some facts for the owner.
Depending on what was advertised to the people in terms of refreshments, I would do a scaled down version of a "tea". They're going to be there really for the class anyway.
High tea is an event in itself! :) I live in a mid-size Southern city and they charge around $22/per person for an authentic high tea at a place not far from us.
You can keep the food fairly simple but make an impact in the presentation of the food. Have marketing materials out for the event center at every seat if it's that kind of a function (or at a central location if not) and some kind of take-away (like a magnet or recipe card from VistaPrint).

Im low balling it as far as I can, this is a free event for the non-profit that is bringing these people in-and why do something that may give the place PR on a thread.
No im not complaining about PTB--i just thought some of you may have some input on what a normal tea is. I know that not including the tea its around $8-10/person.
Yea im sure that it won't be missed-sugar and such....its just sometimes part of doing business...to bring people here..
birdwatcher said:
Yea im sure that it won't be missed-sugar and such....its just sometimes part of doing business...to bring people here.
A 'normal' tea near me is anywhere from $30-$50/person. If you are just making Lipton tea and putting out some scones, $10/per.

Hey-now that is an idea....will definantely brting that up! I knew I could count on you all.

Back