A Thief at the Inn!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had guests ask if our coffee mugs are for sale. We tell them they are (and they're not expensive) and then they go walking. I think from now on I tell the guests the mugs are a lot more as that might discourage them from taking them. It's like they think, 'Oh, that's not much, they won't miss that money after what we paid to stay here.'.
Interesting posts. We too are new to Inn keeping but we remember our own guest experiences and have a chief rule: If a bad guest causes trouble, don't take it out on the good guests yet to come.
We used to stay at a very high end B&B (cheapest room $200 in winter). When we first visited, shortly after they opened, they offered a complimentary bottle of decent local wine with their own house label and they had nice logo glasses (like the ones we have at our Inn, cost us about $5+ each). On our last visit, they served cheap box wine in the common area and didn't want you to take the glasses to your own room, saying, "you don't know how many of those glasses have disappeared on us!"
Well, … maybe. But what we heard was “you are going to steal our glasses just like the other crummy guests” and it took the fun out of staying there. Never went back.
So when annoying things happen and my wife wants to get official, I reminder her of that B&B and the need to treat every guest as a good guest from the start.
Tom, good advise.
And while we do come here to blow off steam we then carry on as nothing has happened. This forum is open and so while it was set up for innkeepers, it was not designed for only innkeepers to read - or take part in. (If it were, it would be a closed forum)
confused_smile.gif

copperhead said:
Tom, good advise.
And while we do come here to blow off steam we then carry on as nothing has happened. This forum is open and so while it was set up for innkeepers, it was not designed for only innkeepers to read - or take part in. (If it were, it would be a closed forum)
confused_smile.gif
Am I missing something? There seem to be a lot of posts about how the forum is for innkeepers as if a lot of non-innkeepers are posting here. There are only 1 or 2 here who are not innkeepers, aspirings or retired. Did I miss something that posted and removed maybe?

We've had guests ask if our coffee mugs are for sale. We tell them they are (and they're not expensive) and then they go walking. I think from now on I tell the guests the mugs are a lot more as that might discourage them from taking them. It's like they think, 'Oh, that's not much, they won't miss that money after what we paid to stay here.'.
Interesting posts. We too are new to Inn keeping but we remember our own guest experiences and have a chief rule: If a bad guest causes trouble, don't take it out on the good guests yet to come.
We used to stay at a very high end B&B (cheapest room $200 in winter). When we first visited, shortly after they opened, they offered a complimentary bottle of decent local wine with their own house label and they had nice logo glasses (like the ones we have at our Inn, cost us about $5+ each). On our last visit, they served cheap box wine in the common area and didn't want you to take the glasses to your own room, saying, "you don't know how many of those glasses have disappeared on us!"
Well, … maybe. But what we heard was “you are going to steal our glasses just like the other crummy guests” and it took the fun out of staying there. Never went back.
So when annoying things happen and my wife wants to get official, I reminder her of that B&B and the need to treat every guest as a good guest from the start.
Tom, good advise.
confused_smile.gif

copperhead said:
Tom, good advise.
confused_smile.gif
Am I missing something? There seem to be a lot of posts about how the forum is for innkeepers as if a lot of non-innkeepers are posting here. There are only 1 or 2 here who are not innkeepers, aspirings or retired. Did I miss something that posted and removed maybe?
I guess I am in the same boat with you. I don't know what is going on.Looks like there is a "missing" post.

I was replying to Tom's comments about what sounds like harsh responses to guests and changing the way we do things in that situation, treating all guests poorly due to one bad guest. I was saying "talk is cheap" meaning that we talk on this forum, we talk about guests, we talk about unmentionables, and in reality we come on here to blow off steam and go back to being hospitable and providing great service to our guests.
I was thinking aloud I suppose. Just mentioning this is an innkeepers forum, well it was supposed to be, so when we discuss things here that is as far as it goes, I don't think many batten down the hatches and make their inns so strict that guests can't enjoy themselves. I don't think this is a place for guests to hang out. If they do, then innkeepers will not share the real stuff that goes on and how we are mere humans. The real stuff is where the benefit of sharing comes in on this forum, it need not be false pretenses.

I was replying to Tom's comments about what sounds like harsh responses to guests and changing the way we do things in that situation, treating all guests poorly due to one bad guest. I was saying "talk is cheap" meaning that we talk on this forum, we talk about guests, we talk about unmentionables, and in reality we come on here to blow off steam and go back to being hospitable and providing great service to our guests.
I was thinking aloud I suppose. Just mentioning this is an innkeepers forum, well it was supposed to be, so when we discuss things here that is as far as it goes, I don't think many batten down the hatches and make their inns so strict that guests can't enjoy themselves. I don't think this is a place for guests to hang out. If they do, then innkeepers will not share the real stuff that goes on and how we are mere humans. The real stuff is where the benefit of sharing comes in on this forum, it need not be false pretenses..
And I'm still lost. Yes, it's an innkepers' forum, and we come here to vent and we like it when it's 'just us,' but why bring it up in response to that post? That's what lost me. An innkeeper posting about a bad experinece he had as a guest and how he's using that experience to temper how he handles innkeeping situations seems like a spot-on post.
Sorry, maybe I'm just missing the point. (Nothing unusual.)

I was thinking aloud I suppose. Just mentioning this is an innkeepers forum, well it was supposed to be, so when we discuss things here that is as far as it goes, I don't think many batten down the hatches and make their inns so strict that guests can't enjoy themselves. I don't think this is a place for guests to hang out. If they do, then innkeepers will not share the real stuff that goes on and how we are mere humans. The real stuff is where the benefit of sharing comes in on this forum, it need not be false pretenses..
As a non-innkeeping lurker, I can assure you that nothing said on here is shocking or unique. All business people who deal with the public, as we have for 30 years, blow off steam. Just being human. We deal with similar worries, and it is nice to read a forum where real people deal with real life. Believe me, most guests do not believe in the 'innkeeper fairies', part of what makes us love inns is that we know how hard y'all work and what you have to deal with! If Swirt would like all non-innkeepers to leave the forum, that is what I will do, no harm no foul.
regular_smile.gif

As a non-innkeeping lurker, I can assure you that nothing said on here is shocking or unique. All business people who deal with the public, as we have for 30 years, blow off steam. Just being human. We deal with similar worries, and it is nice to read a forum where real people deal with real life. Believe me, most guests do not believe in the 'innkeeper fairies', part of what makes us love inns is that we know how hard y'all work and what you have to deal with! If Swirt would like all non-innkeepers to leave the forum, that is what I will do, no harm no foul.
regular_smile.gif

I'm just curious why someone who isn't an owner of an inn or an innkeeper would find this forum interesting? Are you an aspiring innkeeper? Or do you just find our chat interesting?

regular_smile.gif

I'm just curious why someone who isn't an owner of an inn or an innkeeper would find this forum interesting? Are you an aspiring innkeeper? Or do you just find our chat interesting?
I do indeed find it interesting! Things like cleaning messes without making people feel bad, not getting too attached to decorative objects, and just general feelings on dealing with 'the powers that be' when it comes to rules and regs, etc. It is uplifting to find such a good group of people!

regular_smile.gif

I do indeed find it interesting! Things like cleaning messes without making people feel bad, not getting too attached to decorative objects, and just general feelings on dealing with 'the powers that be' when it comes to rules and regs, etc. It is uplifting to find such a good group of people!
I used to lurk on an English board while I was an aspiring. They had very strong opinions about American visitors, called "them" on the forum. One innkeeper told of one of "them", who wanting some information, marched into the inn, past the 'private' sign, eventually finding the (female) innkeeper in the bathroom, on the pot, and instead of beating an apologetic retreat, proceded to ask the questions she was in search of answers to. An extreme example, yes, but sometimes good to know how we are perceived by others.

If they are clearly marked for sale then people should pay for them. It is the principle of the thing. Maybe you could say something like..did you want to put the postcards on your invoice?.
I completely agree with you I would have a chat saying oh I see you like the postcards they make a nice momento etc send to family etc and would say would you like me to put them on your bill? same as you.

Hi I would think about putting an honesty box in that area (but make sure you empty it regularly or secure it descretely) or maybe think about investing in a display cabinet? Most people are honest but just genuinly forget we used to have an honesty fridge with drinks and crisps etc but stopped it because no one paid properly and we ended up making a loss. I think in most cases it is a case of people just forget but its money out of your pocket and I think in that particular situation I would agree with the other that I would ask if they would like it popping on their bill for example "so you don't have to worry about faffing about with change I'll just pop that on your bill for you shall I and then they can't say no.

Back