a tiny respite?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
One of the dear ladies who plays bridge here turned 75 and her daughter calls and says she wants to honor her mother by having a luncheon and the birthday gal insists on it being here. GREAT, so she sets it up for 18 -20 people. no problem, we can do that. Long story (very long story) short... 37 people and one luncheon later.. we find a cell phone on the floor. we figure someone will call looking for it.
Well, I get up this morning and think.. "hey no guest coming till Friday, my first appointment with a client isn't till 11:30, I'm going to take a little time this morning and just sit and have my coffee and read the 'forum'. So I pour my coffee at 7:15am and still in my jammies sit down to my computer.
HA! This newby still has much to learn... at 8;00am Sharp the door bell rings... (it couldn't be the phone cuz i'm still in my jammies). Here is a lady... the one who lost the cell phone! She comes in and says shes been out already and had coffee and just wanted to come by and pick up her phone. She did go on to say what a lovely time everyone had at the luncheon, and she is going to tell everyone about our B&B, and even send her relatives who come to town for a visit, to us.
So as much as i was embarrased bout still being in my jammies, it may have worked out...
Yeah, like most of you I still have my 'income producing' job. I provide crisis counseling to families, and also volunteer counselign for our church members.
I don't know if its a good thing or not to do 'extras' like bridge club luncheons, etc... but I figure it might be good for marketing our B&B and help word get out that we are here!

We had a 'tiny respite' this morning. And I am STILL in my jammies and finishing a book. Hubs is outside fixing some sensor on his car. We took yesterday afternoon off as well.
And, when I am havng my 'tiny respite' I don't answer the door.
I would be very upset, BTW, that a party for '18-20' turned into a blow out for 37. That is rude by the planner to do that. And it has set a precedent for future gatherings in that they now know you will 'take' whatever they throw at you. Which may be ok with you right now, but may not be in the future when you have many of these social gatherings coming everyday.

LOL, that is Murphy's Innkeeper Law #7 When you are the least presentable, pop-ins appear at your door, or in your house if you left the door unlocked. ;)

We had a 'tiny respite' this morning. And I am STILL in my jammies and finishing a book. Hubs is outside fixing some sensor on his car. We took yesterday afternoon off as well.
And, when I am havng my 'tiny respite' I don't answer the door.
I would be very upset, BTW, that a party for '18-20' turned into a blow out for 37. That is rude by the planner to do that. And it has set a precedent for future gatherings in that they now know you will 'take' whatever they throw at you. Which may be ok with you right now, but may not be in the future when you have many of these social gatherings coming everyday..
OH No... no more! I learned from this experience to be VERY clear on how many we can reasonable hold in here. Now if we are extending it to the outdoor area as well that may be different, but yeah, no more 37 inside. This was a full, sit down meal with china, crystal, silver etc...
Yep, you can be sure I will be VERY clear in the future.
But all in all... it did go very well, thanks to the wonderful help of my daughter, her friend, and future daughter in law! I couldn't have done it without their help. ahhh aint fam great! We had so many people say they didn't know we were here, (maybe because we are so new, and maybe because we aren't marketing right?). Several said they would definately keep us in mind for future guests, so who knows, maybe it was worth it. ....

LOL, that is Murphy's Innkeeper Law #7 When you are the least presentable, pop-ins appear at your door, or in your house if you left the door unlocked. ;).
yeah, the first week we were open we had people just walk right in.... not even guests! So now I have a sign posted on the door that says "Please ring bell upon arrival". :)

LOL, that is Murphy's Innkeeper Law #7 When you are the least presentable, pop-ins appear at your door, or in your house if you left the door unlocked. ;).
yeah, the first week we were open we had people just walk right in.... not even guests! So now I have a sign posted on the door that says "Please ring bell upon arrival". :)
Ooh that reminds me of Murphy's Innkeeper Law #2: People don't read.
tounge_smile.gif

high street victorian said:
50% won't ring the bell. We put a keypad lock on the door because guests just wouldn't lock the door behind them and I kept coming into the kitchen with arms full of laundry to be greeted by strangers standing there eating cookies and making themselves at home.
Obviosuly, this is my solution to guests not reading. Even now, with the same sign on the door that says to ring the bell and wait for the innkeeper, guests try pushing the numbers on the keypad to get in. Or they just stand there. Or, if I have a sign out that says I'm not in, they ring and ring and ring, because where else can I be but here?
sad_smile.gif

Question from one who has been caught too many times trying to relax and it never happens -- Do you have a sign you hang on the door?
I have a two sided sign I hang, one says we are closed, to check out website for availability blah blah blah - we do not take callers with out an appt.
The other sign, and most importantly CHECK IN TIME IS such and such we are unavailable for early checkins as we are busy cleaning rooms, etc etc. same - we do not take caller without and appt and no solicting etc
THIS IS THE SIGN that has saved my life. We are IN TOWN so people just drop in often. For a dozen or so reasons. NOT A ONE to book a room, always for some other reason. "We want a tour" "Would you like to be in the yellowpages" "Can you donate to our cheer squad fundraiser" etc etc.

high street victorian said:
My suggestion - even with a historic home - get a door keypad before you go nutso. So the door is always locked, no messing around/
I JUST TOLD THE GUESTS - who just left, 3 hrs of talking later over breakfast - ugh... I told them the story of the salesman who had the greatest reception ever here!
I was in the kitchen cookin' - the guests in the cottage were the only guests, so I left the front door open for fresh morning air. I heard the cottage male walk in for coffee, I said "Go ahead and help yourself to the coffee there...I will be out shortly"
Thanks, he said.
I come out of the kitchen, where is his wife? Why is he wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase?!! OH BROTHER! I let a salesman in and he was having a grand ol' time sipping coffee and looking through brochures!
Then the guests finally showed up. The salesman thanked me for being so cordial as he left. DOH!

EVERY time I decide to take a day and not get dressed - just spend the day in my robe, SOMEONE will knock on the door at noon and here I am in my robe - you answer the door for UPS and FEDEX! Or else DH will have a darned doc appointment and of course he cannot go alone....

LOL, I have that same T-Shirt!.
Warning: JBJ likes to scrub her posts so that some of that info that she revealed isn't out in internet space forever. In the process she sometimes makes people look like they are talking to themselves. She does it to me all the time.
tounge_smile.gif

LOL, I have that same T-Shirt!.
Warning: JBJ likes to scrub her posts so that some of that info that she revealed isn't out in internet space forever. In the process she sometimes makes people look like they are talking to themselves. She does it to me all the time.
tounge_smile.gif

swirt said:
tounge_smile.gif
Hey I left a dot!

where is tis list of Murphy's Inn Keeper laws?????????????? love to see it!

Back