A total of 19 firms collectively agreed to pay more than $350,000 in fines and stop posting bogus online reviews touting clients

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
We've heard what the woman in the video is saying before ... but the article is interesting about the 'crack down'
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/09/23/fake-reviews-crackdown/2854963/

Surely if you're getting bad reviews the solution is to make changes to your business so that you give customers what they want/expect, rather than paying someone else to write good reviews.

Surely if you're getting bad reviews the solution is to make changes to your business so that you give customers what they want/expect, rather than paying someone else to write good reviews..
<SARCASM>
Why would you do that? It's obviously cheaper to trick people into thinking you are a good place rather than actually be a good place.
</SARCASM>

they interviewed a 17 yr. old on ABC last night who said she got paid $40 for every review she posted!!! Said she could do like 400 a day!! So how does one do that? Have 400 different emails????? THis is beyond me.

they interviewed a 17 yr. old on ABC last night who said she got paid $40 for every review she posted!!! Said she could do like 400 a day!! So how does one do that? Have 400 different emails????? THis is beyond me..
I thought it was $4 per review, not $40; still at 400 reviews per day, that would be $1600/day....
Has she ever renovated a bathroom? "No, I'm 17 <giggle>"

they interviewed a 17 yr. old on ABC last night who said she got paid $40 for every review she posted!!! Said she could do like 400 a day!! So how does one do that? Have 400 different emails????? THis is beyond me..
I thought it was $4 per review, not $40; still at 400 reviews per day, that would be $1600/day....
Just checked the story again on line..it was $4 per review. You can see the video here.
But hey...no mention on the really big guys..TA

Just checked the story again on line..it was $4 per review. You can see the video here.
But hey...no mention on the really big guys..TA
Still at $1600 a day, assuming she just worked one day a week that's $83K and I'm willing to bet she didn't declare it. And she's provided video proof. The IRS paying 30% of what they recover.... :)
The people doing illegal B&B around here were defending themselves and why they should be allowed to do it and then the question of if they were declaring the income came up.... and then not so much defending themselves...

Back