A Twofold Blog Question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Here's a twofold question...one from a traveler's standpoint and one from an innkeepers standpoint.
  1. If you found an Inn on a directory, and there was a link to their blog on the listing, would you click it? If so, would you click it BEFORE the website link, or would you click the website link first and THEN look to see if they have a blog?
  2. If a directory offered a link to your Inn's blog on your listing, would you want it?

Personally, I would visit the web site first. Then maybe look at the blog if I liked what I saw on the site. If the site was crappy, I would just leave. I would not pay for an additional link to the blog in a directory because if they came to the inn site, the blog link would be there and evident or even excerpts on some home pages.

I agree with CL. If it's a bad website, I would still click to see the blog to find out if the innkeepers actually had something to offer. If I went to the blog and liked it, then I might change my mind about the website. Sometimes small places just don't put the $$ into their sites like they should but it doesn't mean their place is not a good one to stay at.
Bad website without a blog - I'd just go away
Bad website with a blog - I'd give it a 2nd chance
I would not pay to have a link to my blog on a lodging directory

I would check out the website first, and then the blog if I was curious about what was going on a the inn, or to see if the blog tells me what's going on in the area.
I would not pay to have a link to my blog. My website has my blog prominently displayed to open.
That to me is like paying for a link to my "rooms" page when I already have a link to my website and they'll find my "rooms" page there.
Sounds like some directories need money and are trying to figure out how to get more out of the innkeepers.
RIki

I only read the inn's blog if I'm really interested in the place and want to read more. The blog is secondary to the inn's website for me.
If the website isn't good, I don't care what the blog says. I just don't look any further. :-(

I have seen websites with tiny little font and outdated info and NOTHING on the innkeepers or anything about the area and then clicked on a blog and was pleasantly surprised! Tons of stuff to see and do, smiling innkeepers, cool!
So for me, as a traveler I would click (but you know me, I am a mouser, I click click and click and never slow down) - right now I have about 4 prgms running and umpteen windows open).
So if it was there I would click on it, but probably would prefer to just click on the website, then from there I would see a blog link.
As an innkeeper I would take the blog link, but of course want the website #1. But sure, if it is offered I would.

I guess what I am saying is I won't be reading the blog, I would open it and if it was eye candy and interesting, then consider the website more intensely and book there.

I have seen websites with tiny little font and outdated info and NOTHING on the innkeepers or anything about the area and then clicked on a blog and was pleasantly surprised! Tons of stuff to see and do, smiling innkeepers, cool!
So for me, as a traveler I would click (but you know me, I am a mouser, I click click and click and never slow down) - right now I have about 4 prgms running and umpteen windows open).
So if it was there I would click on it, but probably would prefer to just click on the website, then from there I would see a blog link.
As an innkeeper I would take the blog link, but of course want the website #1. But sure, if it is offered I would..
That's a good point, JB. I'll try to keep a more open mind about blog worthiness. ;-)

Would click to the website first and read the blog from there.
If a directory offered a link to my blog I would take it.

Back