A vent...kinda. Need some input on this situation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other possibility - would it be cost-prohibitive to hire Anne's daughter's cleaning company (contract help rather than YOUR employee) and specify Peg as the person you wnat sent to you..
gillumhouse said:
One other possibility - would it be cost-prohibitive to hire Anne's daughter's cleaning company (contract help rather than YOUR employee) and specify Peg as the person you wnat sent to you.
Yes, they are very expensive. The company charges $35 per hour for cleaning services. I pay $15 per hour and that is what the company is paying Peg. So the company gets the extra $20 on top of what they are paying their staff. Quite a little racket they got there.
The Farmers Daughter said:
gillumhouse said:
One other possibility - would it be cost-prohibitive to hire Anne's daughter's cleaning company (contract help rather than YOUR employee) and specify Peg as the person you wnat sent to you.
Yes, they are very expensive. The company charges $35 per hour for cleaning services. I pay $15 per hour and that is what the company is paying Peg. So the company gets the extra $20 on top of what they are paying their staff. Quite a little racket they got there.
Pretty standard, I'm afraid. You must remember that on top of the salary they must pay for liability Ins. (just like we do) and possibly bonding for each of their employees, they also have to pay 7 1/2% of their emp. Social Security....it has to come from somewhere! And then they do need to make money too, or why be in business?
What state are you in? Virginia is - I forget what it's called - a "no cause state" or something like that. Companies can hire and fire at will unless of course you work for the state or something like that.
RIki
Hire and fire at will is correct here as well but there are cases where the person CAN file a lawsuit...and to protect yourself you should have some documentation as to why you are letting the person go especially if you plan on replacing that person. If you lay someone off due to reduction of staff and are not replacing them there is no or little need for this.
Having worked in a corporate law office, I saw many. many cases regarding termination. Covering your A...... is highly recommended...you would not go without insurance, this is similar. In this case, this woman has been in the corporate world for much of her career, she just may not be to happy about being let go so easily...she also may fit the age discrimination bracket.
Sorry that I go to the extreme here, I learned alot in that job and I do for the most part go to the extreme in protecting mine.
she also may fit the age discrimination bracket.
I believe if I remember correctly - a woman over 40.... PLEASE do a CYA even if it takes another 6 months.
The corporation I worked for was a government contractor and it was easier to just pay the hall walkers than to fire them because they had to document EVERY employee in the department for a year - not just the hall walker - before they could fire them. Hall walkers could not get nailed for doing something worng because they did not do anything to get nailed for.
gillumhouse said:
she also may fit the age discrimination bracket.
I believe if I remember correctly - a woman over 40.... PLEASE do a CYA even if it takes another 6 months.
The corporation I worked for was a government contractor and it was easier to just pay the hall walkers than to fire them because they had to document EVERY employee in the department for a year - not just the hall walker - before they could fire them. Hall walkers could not get nailed for doing something worng because they did not do anything to get nailed for.
This is all good advice. Especially for someone who has been there for 3 years without a significant change in performance.
She really needs to have a firm date for improvement to happen and a plan of action about what will happen next, including termination if the improvement doesn't take place.
It won't take 6 months. It can be done in far less time.
But it really needs to be handled with a mix of compassion, stern warnings, and action taken swiftly after each incident to protect the inn.
Do it the right way and there won't be litigation. Rush it after putting up with her for 3 years and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be.
IMHO.

If you are concerned about covering you A you could also do what the restaurant business does. You just keep cutting her hours until she leaves to make more money elsewhere. It's a last resort.
Riki

If you are concerned about covering you A you could also do what the restaurant business does. You just keep cutting her hours until she leaves to make more money elsewhere. It's a last resort.
Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
I may do that. Anne works PT as a child caretaker. She is not available during the week anytime after 2:30. Going forward, the work I have to do may have to be done from 3 PM on....or something like that.

One other possibility - would it be cost-prohibitive to hire Anne's daughter's cleaning company (contract help rather than YOUR employee) and specify Peg as the person you wnat sent to you..
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Pretty standard, I'm afraid. You must remember that on top of the salary they must pay for liability Ins. (just like we do) and possibly bonding for each of their employees, they also have to pay 7 1/2% of their emp. Social Security....it has to come from somewhere! And then they do need to make money too, or why be in business?
What state are you in? Virginia is - I forget what it's called - a "no cause state" or something like that. Companies can hire and fire at will unless of course you work for the state or something like that.
RIki
Hire and fire at will is correct here as well but there are cases where the person CAN file a lawsuit...and to protect yourself you should have some documentation as to why you are letting the person go especially if you plan on replacing that person. If you lay someone off due to reduction of staff and are not replacing them there is no or little need for this.
Having worked in a corporate law office, I saw many. many cases regarding termination. Covering your A...... is highly recommended...you would not go without insurance, this is similar. In this case, this woman has been in the corporate world for much of her career, she just may not be to happy about being let go so easily...she also may fit the age discrimination bracket.
Sorry that I go to the extreme here, I learned alot in that job and I do for the most part go to the extreme in protecting mine.
Hello! Longtime lurker here (B&B fan!), just wanted to add, as a small employer, be careful not to "tip your hand" too much, people have been know to get 'injured on the job' when they know the axe is about to fall. Not meaning to be paranoid, but I've seen it happen.
Alice I. W. said:
Hello! Longtime lurker here (B&B fan
Welcome Alice! Do you own an Inn?

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
RIki
Hello! Longtime lurker here (B&B fan!), just wanted to add, as a small employer, be careful not to "tip your hand" too much, people have been know to get 'injured on the job' when they know the axe is about to fall. Not meaning to be paranoid, but I've seen it happen.
Alice I. W. said:
No, just a patron! But I have learned a lot from the forums over the years!

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
RIki
Alice I. W. said:
Alice I. W. said:
We're happy have you...sometimes the guests' point of view is just what we need!

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
RIki
Alice I. W. said:
Alice I. W. said:
We're happy have you...sometimes the guests' point of view is just what we need!
Thank you for the welcome, and I admire all small-business people! This is a great forum with so many diverse situations and views!

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
RIki
Alice I. W. said:
Alice I. W. said:
Thank you for the welcome, and I admire all small-business people! This is a great forum with so many diverse situations and views!
Welcome and feel free to chime in from the guest perspective.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
RIki
Alice I. W. said:
Alice I. W. said:
Thanks, I've been following the forum for years (it goes by so quickly!) and have enjoyed the food and styling and cleaning ideas. This is a great site (kudos to Swirt!) and it is interesting to see the heart and effort everyone puts into their work! Though I am just a longtime non-innkeeper "lurker", you all are almost like friends, sounds cheesy, but you are all in my prayers. :0)

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
RIki
Alice I. W. said:
Alice I. W. said:
Thanks, I've been following the forum for years (it goes by so quickly!) and have enjoyed the food and styling and cleaning ideas. This is a great site (kudos to Swirt!) and it is interesting to see the heart and effort everyone puts into their work! Though I am just a longtime non-innkeeper "lurker", you all are almost like friends, sounds cheesy, but you are all in my prayers. :0)
Alice I. W. said:
you all are almost like friends, sounds cheesy, but you are all in my prayers. :0)
We can all use those! Thanks and Welcome on officially becoming a memeber!

welcome.gif
Alice

Anne has to go if, after you've had a full discussion with her of your complaints , her performance of the duties you set out for her are not met. Start interviewing other potential helpers. You must have confidence that your help will show up on time and do what is expected of them for your own peace of mind.
You are Anne's employer, not her friend or her therapist. She is wasting your time & energy. Whatever her personal problems & challenges are she must not bring them into your business. She should focus on her job duties and performing them to your standards while on the clock. I know that you feel like you're between the hoof and the horseshoe but she has to shape up or you'll have to ship her out. I've been in a similar situation before.

Unfortunately, when we hire people their problems become our problems.
That is why we have no staff, just a part-timer to do garden work in the summer.
Good luck!

Back