A w2 question USA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
We mailed out w2s for a nonprofit and one sent to a former employee came back undeliverable with no forwarding information. Doing some online searching, I found she passed away in November. Of course, emails are not answered and phone is not in service.

Question is what are we required to do? Send a certified letter and then file it away? Not looking for expert advice, just thought someone may have encountered this.

Her Executor will need that for the estate. Is there a next-of listed?

Her Executor will need that for the estate. Is there a next-of listed?.
Nothing. All I found was an online notice from the funeral home ... no mention of family, very brief. Just said services will be private. I was thinking of contacting the funeral home to ask if they have a contact. I don’t know if they would give us that information or if they would pass along a message. It’s worth a try.
but not just for deceased persons. The question of returned w2s would be what are we required to do.

I would ask the Social Security Office AND IRS. The reason I say both is because half the time, IRS people do not give the same answer twice.
The funeral home will most likely pass the message to the family IF there IS family.

Thank you. Waited online over an hour for the IRS to tell me to hold onto the unopened mail for four years. Odd amount of time. I didn’t feel extremely confident and felt I should have just said the w2 was returned in the mail instead of mentioning the passing as I had to explain a few times
small business issues!
betting that one day someone on here with employees will have w2s returned and will wonder what they are required to do. maybe it will help someone down the road.

Thank you. Waited online over an hour for the IRS to tell me to hold onto the unopened mail for four years. Odd amount of time. I didn’t feel extremely confident and felt I should have just said the w2 was returned in the mail instead of mentioning the passing as I had to explain a few times
small business issues!
betting that one day someone on here with employees will have w2s returned and will wonder what they are required to do. maybe it will help someone down the road..
Just had a brain cramp!! Call the County Probate Office to see if a Will was filed for Probate. Ask THEM what to do with it.

Her Executor will need that for the estate. Is there a next-of listed?.
Nothing. All I found was an online notice from the funeral home ... no mention of family, very brief. Just said services will be private. I was thinking of contacting the funeral home to ask if they have a contact. I don’t know if they would give us that information or if they would pass along a message. It’s worth a try.
but not just for deceased persons. The question of returned w2s would be what are we required to do.
I would contact the funeral parlor. Another person to contact is the burial plot manager. They will have contacts. We did that and gave the place our info and the next to kin contacted us an hour later.

I don't think you need to do anything. It's up to the employee to keep info current including the form W-4. You did what you are supposed to do: mail it to the address you had. Presumably the person's executor will file final taxes and will estimate income from info on hand. He may contact you.

I don't think you need to do anything. It's up to the employee to keep info current including the form W-4. You did what you are supposed to do: mail it to the address you had. Presumably the person's executor will file final taxes and will estimate income from info on hand. He may contact you..
Tom said:
I don't think you need to do anything. It's up to the employee to keep info current including the form W-4.
I believe Tom is correct, when I worked in a finance office we dropped returned, unopened, W2's in a folder in the drawer where we kept our copies of the W2 forms, it was up to the former employee to request the form, the envelope was proof that we had "tried" to provide it to the employee.

I agree with everyone who has said you’ve done your part. I would hold onto the form in case someone comes looking for it. I would also require that person to show proof they are the executor. You don’t want random relatives trying to claim the tax refund, if there is one due.

Back