A Wedding Party

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I am getting call after call right now for hosting weddings and events coinsiding with weddings.
This lady called (a local) and wanted to know the cost for a wedding party with 75 guests?
I told her we only host the bride and groom, on their wedding night, we're strictly a bed and breakfast. She then asked how much it is for the bride and groom to stay here? I cheerfully told her the price range of rooms and she said "A night?!"
LOCALS.
PS again, I say, for anyone watching out there who will be purchasing a turn-key B&B in the next couple years - if you want to host weddings, events, functions, luncheons, teas, showers, bbq's, meetings, galore - buy this B&B! We could have every weekend booked with just those events. If that is your thing...we got it! An endless supply.
teeth_smile.gif

Can you imagine what she had in mind for the cost of the wedding? Less than $1000, that's for sure. $10/person, including food, drinks, music, flowers and photographs.
I get emails from Eventective all the time with people's guest list and budget...25 people, budget for the entire event under $200. The worst are the 2 yo's birthday parties...

Can you imagine what she had in mind for the cost of the wedding? Less than $1000, that's for sure. $10/person, including food, drinks, music, flowers and photographs.
I get emails from Eventective all the time with people's guest list and budget...25 people, budget for the entire event under $200. The worst are the 2 yo's birthday parties....
This is the time of the year when wedding planning occurs most. I have gotten a few calls myself. We do weddings up to 100 people, adults only for receptions. It is a nice addition to the business but it is truely a HEADACHE - for the most part. I have had calls wanting to rent just the space, and bring their own food. NO can do... We work with a caterer in town that brings their help. I trust the quality of the food and the professionalism of their staff. After all, all of the wedding guests will think everything is our doing. So everything must be to OUR standards.
Bree, I get emails from several wedding directories such as Eventective too. I believe that it was this site that I just went in and adjusted my lead requirements. I was getting many leads way out of the ball park. ... 250 guests, budget $500...space only. Once you make the adjustments, your leads may reduce but they will be more in line with what you offer.

I get emails from Eventective all the time with people's guest list and budget...25 people, budget for the entire event under $200. The worst are the 2 yo's birthday parties....
Eventective sent me a lead for a wedding with 110 guests. They were so kind. Now where I would put 110 people would be interesting. Even assuming I could fit 110 people in my yard, which I could not, just where would i put the portas? in the alley? I do not recall ever listing with them - especially since there is a fee attached to the lead. No way, Jose.

This is the time of the year when wedding planning occurs most. I have gotten a few calls myself. We do weddings up to 100 people, adults only for receptions. It is a nice addition to the business but it is truely a HEADACHE - for the most part. I have had calls wanting to rent just the space, and bring their own food. NO can do... We work with a caterer in town that brings their help. I trust the quality of the food and the professionalism of their staff. After all, all of the wedding guests will think everything is our doing. So everything must be to OUR standards.
Bree, I get emails from several wedding directories such as Eventective too. I believe that it was this site that I just went in and adjusted my lead requirements. I was getting many leads way out of the ball park. ... 250 guests, budget $500...space only. Once you make the adjustments, your leads may reduce but they will be more in line with what you offer.
Copperhead said:
What I can't adjust for is that I want overnight stays only. So, I look over the party planning, and if the party is small enough, I think who could I get in here to cater it? But, most of them want Saturday morning. If they would try to book in parties mid-week, it might work out.

Eventective sent me a lead for a wedding with 110 guests. They were so kind. Now where I would put 110 people would be interesting. Even assuming I could fit 110 people in my yard, which I could not, just where would i put the portas? in the alley? I do not recall ever listing with them - especially since there is a fee attached to the lead. No way, Jose.
If you can do smaller events, tho, it might work out. The leads are $2.50. Not bad if it works out.

I know it is the time to plan the weddings, I had two calls just today. The other one was for us to CATER a wedding reception.
I do want those wedding nights tho! Easy guests, and I love being their first, so to speak.
embaressed_smile.gif
(You know, first night as husband and wife.)

I know it is the time to plan the weddings, I had two calls just today. The other one was for us to CATER a wedding reception.
I do want those wedding nights tho! Easy guests, and I love being their first, so to speak.
embaressed_smile.gif
(You know, first night as husband and wife.).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Is there anyone in the area you can partner with? THEY do the wedding receptions and you host the guests (some of them) or just the bride & groom? It would be a nice 'package' if you can find someone you can trust...if the wedding party books the caterer, the bride & groom get a 'free' night at your place. The caterer takes the booking and gives you the money for the night.
I know I get a few of these calls/year to book the reception here. I really push to get just the guests when I refer to places that do the receptions. BUT, around here those places are also hotels, so not likely they'll refer back to me! Still, I should look around for a caterer who I might be able to partner with.

embaressed_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Is there anyone in the area you can partner with? THEY do the wedding receptions and you host the guests (some of them) or just the bride & groom? It would be a nice 'package' if you can find someone you can trust...if the wedding party books the caterer, the bride & groom get a 'free' night at your place. The caterer takes the booking and gives you the money for the night.
I know I get a few of these calls/year to book the reception here. I really push to get just the guests when I refer to places that do the receptions. BUT, around here those places are also hotels, so not likely they'll refer back to me! Still, I should look around for a caterer who I might be able to partner with.
We have 2 groups of wedding guests in the Spring...one has already booked all our rooms. Another is listing us as the preferred lodging for their guests. I told them that I wouldn't block the rooms without a credit card hold for all the rooms :) We have a several reception event venues within walking distance and many large churches.
I get calls all the time to have weddings here. I would consider elopements, but that's it!

So much easier to just take the over night guests. I know we have discussed this before on another forum but again where do the 250 guests go potty?

embaressed_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Remember the photographer who had taken wedding photos here? She has our rack cards and is at all the wedding expos. She is pushing our place as well as she can take their photos here. She has those in her slideshow etc at the expos.
Wedding/reception places here are churches, but they need to find a place to sleep that night! You would hope they would want a B&B over a holiday inn.
There is only one large wedding venue - they owners/operators stayed with us. He is a DR and she runs it as her "thing" and like he said "Any idea how much it costs to re-turf 50,000 sq ft lawn? Well we did that twice this year so far!" Pulled drunken uncles in BMW's out of their creek, so many issues with weddings.

So much easier to just take the over night guests. I know we have discussed this before on another forum but again where do the 250 guests go potty?.
knowlesl said:
So much easier to just take the over night guests. I know we have discussed this before on another forum but again where do the 250 guests go potty?
Nothing like visiting a port-a-potty in your best attire! ha ha
When we added our second innkeeper bathroom - we put it in a place that means visitors can enter the back door and there is the restroom (for future use if someone is into weddings/functions).
Otherwise guests have to go in and out and use guest room bathrooms. When we had a bride and mother here and it ended up a huge circus with all these people coming in and out - florist deliveries (we want photos while the bride dresses) makeup artists, hair dressers, ENTIRE wedding party - none of this was with prior permission. Our parking area blocked with a dozen cars that were left there as they walked to the church. So all these people needed to use a toilet...I told them you can use the bride's bathroom. BIG NO NO...TOO BAD ask next time! We had other guests checked in and checking in, and this wedding party would not leave. It was a disaster. They had booked ONE ROOM - the cheapest room and took advantage.
Oh and this was NOT the same bride where the aunt and niece toilet papered the whole side of our house on the garden side. Yeah, funny, cute wedding gag - NOT!

My friend specializes in elopements...and even those can be real bridezillas!!!
A gal who only paid $350 for her elopement package threatened to sue because her photos weren't what she expected...there was no fall color!!!!
Give me a break!...there wasn't any at the time. What is he supposed to do? Paint the trees!!!!!

Yes hosting wedding participants can be a headache. We have been there, done that and now have 'rules' in place for cans and cannots while staying here. Extras come at a cost. Some at a cost to me so I am not willing to let that happen.
I have a bridal group (bride & maids) booked for next month. Booked all the rooms, but wanted late check out since wedding was at 2PM. They also wanted a brunch instead of regular time for breakfast. We agreed to the following: brunch at 11AM, 3 of the 5 rooms will check out at regular time. And will then all will dress in remaining 2 rooms, with an extra charge for late check out in those 2. Oh, and there is an extra charge for the brunch breakfast as there will be additional items we normally do not serve. Photographer will come to take a few shots of the bride dressing. Mother & Grands the only ones not staying overnight that will be joining the group for the morning festivities.

A gal who only paid $350 for her elopement package threatened to sue because her photos weren't what she expected...there was no fall color!!!!
Give me a break!...there wasn't any at the time. What is he supposed to do? Paint the trees!!!!!.
I had a small wedding (25) here in the FALL. Wedding was to be held outdoors under our grand live oaks. The day before the event, bride, groom & minister were doing a mini rehearsal. Bride said 'Now you won't have any leaves falling during our wedding will you?'
whattha.gif

Give me a break!...there wasn't any at the time. What is he supposed to do? Paint the trees!!!!!.
I had a small wedding (25) here in the FALL. Wedding was to be held outdoors under our grand live oaks. The day before the event, bride, groom & minister were doing a mini rehearsal. Bride said 'Now you won't have any leaves falling during our wedding will you?'
whattha.gif

Copperhead said:
whattha.gif
People are strange aren't they? I hope you told her the leaves were all glued on.

whattha.gif

Oh my...see...what gets into these bride's heads???? Give me a break!!! I would NEVER host any type of wedding. It is not worth the insanity!

whattha.gif

Copperhead said:
whattha.gif
People are strange aren't they? I hope you told her the leaves were all glued on.
A bit of trivia... in the movie, Dirty Dancing, they had to paint the fall leaves green to keep the summer theme going.

whattha.gif

Copperhead said:
whattha.gif
A bit of trivia... in the movie, Dirty Dancing, they had to paint the fall leaves green to keep the summer theme going.
remnjava said:
More trivia -
Dirty Dancing was filmed not too far from here at Mountain Lake.

whattha.gif

Oh my...see...what gets into these bride's heads???? Give me a break!!! I would NEVER host any type of wedding. It is not worth the insanity!
catlady said:
Not quite off topic, but I pitched a fit at my daughter's wedding. The 'organizer' the church had in place did not know the proper seating of the families. She had me going in to sit ahead of everyone else. I kept telling her that the MOB goes in right before the wedding party in a traditional Christian wedding (and my daughter was doing all the traditional stuff). She insisted that my daughter's step mother had that position (SHE should just have been ushered in and seated and not in the processional at all). The organizer said that by going first I 'had the honors'. She finally pushed me thru the door and that was that. I wasn't going to make a scene in the church and she knew it.
Then she had the usher stuff me in the pew farthest from the altar. Yeesh. Nose bleed seat for my own daughter's wedding.

Back