Absence of Proof is Not Proof of Absence scenarios

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the reason for this thread, we might THINK they don't enjoy something because it is never mentioned, but do they?
Or we think we don't need fresh flowers because no one has mentioned it, but maybe it is a nice special touch..
Here is what I would notice personally, and would see as a negative: wrinkly pillowcases, only two pillows on bed (for two people), only two towels (sorry, I like a towel for my hair), lighting for reading in bed, no chairs for sitting in the room. I would notice personally and positively: fresh flowers in room and in the common areas, nice chocolates in the room, good reading material the ability to get tea/coffee early and other than at breakfast, good reading material around, good reading space available in common areas. Now you can tell what I like to do on vacation. I would probably never mention the lack of or presence of any of these things to an innkeeper.
I have had guests comment favorably on: ironed sheets, flowers in room, flowers in hallway (at least 2x in the last month guests have stuck their fingers in the flowers and said, 'oh these are real' including another innkeeper), chocolates in room, jolly ranchers in candy dish, hot water kettle, cookies in the afternoon, computer in guest lounge, fans in rooms, special diet accommodations, tip envelopes (yes, they thanked me for having one in the room) and bathrobes. I had one guest comment negatively on the absence of TVs but she said when she left there was so much to do that she didn't mind missing So You Think You Can Dance (!?!).
I do some of those things because I need to for my Select Registry status and some just because I like doing them.
I just booked a room based solely on the fact that it had 'reading chairs'. I like a good reading chair myself and have slowly been replacing the 'non-reading' chairs.
Bree said:
I just booked a room based solely on the fact that it had 'reading chairs'.
On my last trip to a B&B I was too busy gabbing to take any time to read but there was a fainting couch in my room that I covet. And rockers on the front porch, which is where I would spend all my time anyway.
We booked an expensive B&B in St. Michael's once, for a May anniversary, and were unhappy to see one single hard wooden chair in the room and no common area - it had been turned into a tea room. Not happy.
muirford said:
Bree said:
On my last trip to a B&B I was too busy gabbing to take any time to read but there was a fainting couch in my room that I covet. And rockers on the front porch, which is where I would spend all my time anyway.
We booked an expensive B&B in St. Michael's once, for a May anniversary, and were unhappy to see one single hard wooden chair in the room and no common area - it had been turned into a tea room. Not happy.
The porch is officially open for reading, relaxing, napping, chatting, smooching (warning - don't kiss the innkeeper tho, she might smack you!) ...the decking is all painted - finally. Rebuilt the whole stinkin' porch since they put untreated wood as the base...this is what happens when people hire stuff out and don't have a clue. It is good to go for another 50 years now!
Porch_July2009_Rockers.jpg

PorchJulyFerns2009.jpg

Porch_2009CRGuide.jpg

Porch_reno071909.JPG

I'd buy the house just for the porch...it's beautiful. What color deck paint did you use?

This is the reason for this thread, we might THINK they don't enjoy something because it is never mentioned, but do they?
Or we think we don't need fresh flowers because no one has mentioned it, but maybe it is a nice special touch..
Here is what I would notice personally, and would see as a negative: wrinkly pillowcases, only two pillows on bed (for two people), only two towels (sorry, I like a towel for my hair), lighting for reading in bed, no chairs for sitting in the room. I would notice personally and positively: fresh flowers in room and in the common areas, nice chocolates in the room, good reading material the ability to get tea/coffee early and other than at breakfast, good reading material around, good reading space available in common areas. Now you can tell what I like to do on vacation. I would probably never mention the lack of or presence of any of these things to an innkeeper.
I have had guests comment favorably on: ironed sheets, flowers in room, flowers in hallway (at least 2x in the last month guests have stuck their fingers in the flowers and said, 'oh these are real' including another innkeeper), chocolates in room, jolly ranchers in candy dish, hot water kettle, cookies in the afternoon, computer in guest lounge, fans in rooms, special diet accommodations, tip envelopes (yes, they thanked me for having one in the room) and bathrobes. I had one guest comment negatively on the absence of TVs but she said when she left there was so much to do that she didn't mind missing So You Think You Can Dance (!?!).
I do some of those things because I need to for my Select Registry status and some just because I like doing them.
I just booked a room based solely on the fact that it had 'reading chairs'. I like a good reading chair myself and have slowly been replacing the 'non-reading' chairs.
Bree said:
muirford said:
Bree said:
The porch is officially open for reading, relaxing, napping, chatting, smooching (warning - don't kiss the innkeeper tho, she might smack you!) ...the decking is all painted - finally. Rebuilt the whole stinkin' porch since they put untreated wood as the base...this is what happens when people hire stuff out and don't have a clue. It is good to go for another 50 years now!

PorchJulyFerns2009.jpg

Porch_2009CRGuide.jpg

Porch_reno071909.JPG

I'd buy the house just for the porch...it's beautiful. What color deck paint did you use?
Bree said:
Grey. ha ha
Here is something - we bought the paint at the same time same batch - we looked on cans. Now it is different colors on the porch decking AND even more glossy in parts. WIth the furniture on it, I assured DH that no one would notice but him, and wear and tear and scuffs etc.
BUT - the trick is this - buy them and mix them ALL together and then paint all at once. Not easy to do with that much paint, but worth it for a porch this long.
Unfortunately he had to paint in sections as we could only block off sections at a time with guests here. Even with no guests here for a day it took forever to dry, so by the time guests were here it was still not walkable.
Come on people - forum inn-mates come and see me before I say sayanara - soon I hope, but if not, later.
confused_smile.gif

I think the Harris Room is so popular because it has a big oak rocker and a book rack. The antique floor lamp (it was in an antique shop when I found it anyway) fell over and broke the weekend of the divorced drain and was replaced this week with another floor lamp that has a reading lamp on it.
I also have a nice big glider on the front porch. Nothing as big and nice as JB, but it is favorite spot.

I want to come visit you today and sit on your porch and read all day!.
Country Girl said:
I want to come visit you today and sit on your porch and read all day!
Come on over, down, up, whichever ways it is from you to me. Here is the side guests come up onto the porch - no furniture over here yet...it is 130 feet of porch total. We hate this trellis here and removed on piece of it, but when it rains this is the side that gets hit and hit hard!

porch_side.JPG

How about what I 'undid'? I went from almost 10 hours of ironing to about 15 minutes/week by getting rid of the all cotton sheets. Never heard a peep about the all cotton ironed sheets, haven't heard a peep about the poly-cotton ones that replaced them.
What I DID hear about sheets was, 'Why on earth would you spend any time ironing sheets?' or, 'Really? You iron the sheets?' THAT'S the one that convinced me I wasn't doing myself any favors by ironing.
I only iron the really nice set I got for the king bed now.
We just had a guest leave who was here for 3 days. She walked up to hubs and said, 'Those were the best 3 breakfasts I have ever had at a B&B. Ever' So, what has helped there is the presentation. We're more into gussying things up now, it's the same food as before. So, an extra couple of bucks (or cents in some cases) toward the breakfast (total, not per person) has changed the perception of what is being served.
Some things that I do for fun may not make a bit of difference to the guest, but they do to me...I buy 'fun' plates to put the snacks on. I usually spend about $2 for a plate. I like having a different plate to put the cookies on everyday.
BTW, I wouldn't mention the pillowcases to you if I stayed there. Doesn't mean I didn't notice the attention to detail. And I do just fold them square and done! I won't put a wrinkled pillowcase out, either. THAT I would notice and think the person didn't care..
Perception, perception, perception - it's all about perception. Looks fancy - therefore it must be gourmet.

Interesting question .... just when I think something is pointless someone will mention it specifically. Like Breakfast Diva, the comment I get most though is "I love all your little touches - don't ever think people don't notice them because they do".

I want to come visit you today and sit on your porch and read all day!.
Country Girl said:
I want to come visit you today and sit on your porch and read all day!
Come on over, down, up, whichever ways it is from you to me. Here is the side guests come up onto the porch - no furniture over here yet...it is 130 feet of porch total. We hate this trellis here and removed on piece of it, but when it rains this is the side that gets hit and hit hard!

porch_side.JPG

Oh my gosh that is just beautiful. I love it. I want to come too.

How about what I 'undid'? I went from almost 10 hours of ironing to about 15 minutes/week by getting rid of the all cotton sheets. Never heard a peep about the all cotton ironed sheets, haven't heard a peep about the poly-cotton ones that replaced them.
What I DID hear about sheets was, 'Why on earth would you spend any time ironing sheets?' or, 'Really? You iron the sheets?' THAT'S the one that convinced me I wasn't doing myself any favors by ironing.
We just had a guest leave who was here for 3 days. She walked up to hubs and said, 'Those were the best 3 breakfasts I have ever had at a B&B. Ever' So, what has helped there is the presentation. We're more into gussying things up now, it's the same food as before. So, an extra couple of bucks (or cents in some cases) toward the breakfast (total, not per person) has changed the perception of what is being served.
Some things that I do for fun may not make a bit of difference to the guest, but they do to me...I buy 'fun' plates to put the snacks on. I usually spend about $2 for a plate. I like having a different plate to put the cookies on everyday.
BTW, I wouldn't mention the pillowcases to you if I stayed there. Doesn't mean I didn't notice the attention to detail. And I do just fold them square and done! I won't put a wrinkled pillowcase out, either. THAT I would notice and think the person didn't care..
Perception, perception, perception - it's all about perception. Looks fancy - therefore it must be gourmet.
UKMaineiac said:
I actually bought those ketchup bottles to put the fancy little swirls & dots on the plates like you do! But, I have those patterned plates, I need to get white plates and then, watch out!

Our guests never complain about what we don't have. But on the other hand, we hear over and over "You've thought of everything". "Your attention to detail is amazing, it doesn't go unnoticed".
We don't iron our sheets or pillow cases. I stopped buying flowers for the rooms and common areas. This year for the first time because of the economy, I have not raised our room rates, so I've cut back on the flowers to save a couple of bucks. Still getting the same wonderful comments.
I'm not prepared to cut back on anything else. By this time, I think we've streamlined everything we can and still keep the affordable luxury our guests are looking for.
Give them more than what they expect and you'll be hearing about it. Give them less...well, you probably won't hear at all..
Breakfast Diva said:
Our guests never complain about what we don't have. But on the other hand, we hear over and over "You've thought of everything". "Your attention to detail is amazing, it doesn't go unnoticed".
We don't iron our sheets or pillow cases. I stopped buying flowers for the rooms and common areas. This year for the first time because of the economy, I have not raised our room rates, so I've cut back on the flowers to save a couple of bucks. Still getting the same wonderful comments.
I'm not prepared to cut back on anything else. By this time, I think we've streamlined everything we can and still keep the affordable luxury our guests are looking for.
Give them more than what they expect and you'll be hearing about it. Give them less...well, you probably won't hear at all.
The vast majority are so busy gushing over how comfortable and relaxed they feel while here, that the only "complaint" we ever get is that they regret their choice to move around and stay at several B&Bs while in the area.
I can't really call that a complaint per se, but we think it speaks volumes about our appeal and performance once folks get here.
I do iron the pillow cases and the upper collar of the sheets as I think its a nice touch and is probably expected. I make a pretty tight bed, so the sheets lay real flat.
The "You two have thought of everything, haven't you?" is a very common refrain and that makes us as happy as filling people's bellies with great food. We don't offer flat screen TVs in all the rooms, and aren't trying to mimic big corporate hotels in what we offer as amenities, so the little things do matter to us.

Bree said:
muirford said:
Bree said:

PorchJulyFerns2009.jpg

Porch_2009CRGuide.jpg

Porch_reno071909.JPG

Studly Dudley!

Fresh Flowers in the room is another one. This is a great discussion. Do they notice and appreciate or is it something we do and get no return for doing? We THINK they appreciate? Would fresh flowers on the dining table be enough?.
I also used to wonder if they noticed the fresh flower in the room and then a guest wrote in the comment book about what a nice touch it was to have the fresh flower in the room.
gillumhouse said:
I also used to wonder if they noticed the fresh flower in the room and then a guest wrote in the comment book about what a nice touch it was to have the fresh flower in the room.
I have had guests notice and write in our comment books how refreshing it is to have live plants in the bedrooms rather than the run of the mill silks/faux that seem prevelant.

Bree said:
muirford said:
Bree said:

PorchJulyFerns2009.jpg

Porch_2009CRGuide.jpg

Porch_reno071909.JPG

Absolutely Stunning!!!!

UKMaineiac said:
I actually bought those ketchup bottles to put the fancy little swirls & dots on the plates like you do! But, I have those patterned plates, I need to get white plates and then, watch out!
It's called "plate painting" it's very easy, but for some reason people think you have to be some sort of master chef or professionally trained to do things like this. I worked at a small gourmet restaurant for a number of years and we always decorated everything. it's just takes a little desire, creativity & imagination. we eat with our eyes first. presentation is very important. garnish, garnish, garnish!

I wonder if anyone really cares about the cards that I leave for the guests for a special occasion or event? And the special chocolates or candy bar or whatever that I put with it. Maybe one or two persons has ever said something about it.
I quit doing an evening social hour early on...no one was around. I rarely put out afternoon refreshments in the dining room anymore. I just leave individual plates in the rooms.
The rest I'll keep doing...

I wonder if anyone really cares about the cards that I leave for the guests for a special occasion or event? And the special chocolates or candy bar or whatever that I put with it. Maybe one or two persons has ever said something about it.
I quit doing an evening social hour early on...no one was around. I rarely put out afternoon refreshments in the dining room anymore. I just leave individual plates in the rooms.
The rest I'll keep doing....
Samster said:
They do notice the special cards (especially if they are personalized) and chocolates for special occasions. We do that too, and it's an accumulative affect. When you add all the little special touches especially when it's personalized they notice. I have a very simple greeting card program on my computer and I make them a personalized anniversary/birthday/honeymoon/graduation card with a couple local chocolates.
Here's what I hear often: "I forgot to bring some q-tips, but then I turned around and there they were. I needed a hair dryer and there it was. I wanted a wine opener and glasses, and they were right there in the room.I needed an iron and there it was etc., etc., etc. We've tried to put everything either in their rooms or in an area that's obvious. We have an ice maker in the common area because I kept getting guests asking for ice. If I get a request more than a couple times, I'll do everything in my power to get it for the inn so guests don't have to ask for anything. Not only does it make it nicer for them, but if they have it at their fingertips they are not interrupting my personal time. It's a win, win!

Samster said:
They do notice the special cards (especially if they are personalized) and chocolates for special occasions. We do that too, and it's an accumulative affect. When you add all the little special touches especially when it's personalized they notice. I have a very simple greeting card program on my computer and I make them a personalized anniversary/birthday/honeymoon/graduation card with a couple local chocolates.
Here's what I hear often: "I forgot to bring some q-tips, but then I turned around and there they were. I needed a hair dryer and there it was. I wanted a wine opener and glasses, and they were right there in the room.I needed an iron and there it was etc., etc., etc. We've tried to put everything either in their rooms or in an area that's obvious. We have an ice maker in the common area because I kept getting guests asking for ice. If I get a request more than a couple times, I'll do everything in my power to get it for the inn so guests don't have to ask for anything. Not only does it make it nicer for them, but if they have it at their fingertips they are not interrupting my personal time. It's a win, win!
I do hear about all the things that you mention that we also have in the rooms: the extra bathroom amenities, robes, iron/board, sewing kits, lint rollers, etc., etc. Lots of people remark that they have everything that they need or we've thought of everything. That is very gratifying.
But I can't honestly remember the last time that I heard anyone mention when I've gone out of my way to recognize their special occasion, even if they happen to just mention it in passing.
I think that's the kind of thing that started this thread. Is the extra cost of doing these things worth it? Will it garner more business? Or do we just do it because we like to?

Samster said:
I do hear about all the things that you mention that we also have in the rooms: the extra bathroom amenities, robes, iron/board, sewing kits, lint rollers, etc., etc. Lots of people remark that they have everything that they need or we've thought of everything. That is very gratifying.
But I can't honestly remember the last time that I heard anyone mention when I've gone out of my way to recognize their special occasion, even if they happen to just mention it in passing.
I think that's the kind of thing that started this thread. Is the extra cost of doing these things worth it? Will it garner more business? Or do we just do it because we like to?
We just received a new TA review yesterday and they specifically mentioned the personalized card. My vote is to keep that kind of small token.

Samster said:
If I get a request more than a couple times, I'll do everything in my power to get it for the inn so guests don't have to ask for anything. Not only does it make it nicer for them, but if they have it at their fingertips they are not interrupting my personal time.
We've tried that, too. We now have a computer in the common area and added a microwave in the guest pantry. When we remodeled we specifically bought a 'dorm' fridge with a freezer so we could have ice out and so guests could refreeze their cooler ice blocks.
The next thing will be a little basket of 'toiletries' that usually get forgotten.

Samster said:
Samster said:
Sometimes I think we just have to do what we like to do. If putting out a small recognition of an event makes us happy, we should continue to do it. If it's a chore, then we should stop doing it.
Over 20 years ago I stayed at a B&B in P-town. The owners left a bottle of champagne and some chocolates in the fridge because I told them it was a special event. I've remembered that all this time. When we were looking at B&B's some of the best advice we got was from 2 guys in NH who explained how the smallest 'token' was long-remembered by their guests and many times it's the little things that keep guests coming back.
Especially for me, where I am, where there is a lot of choice, I need to provide that little 'token' that someone remembers. And I do it because I am still 'passing on' that generous bottle of champagne and chocolates from 20 years ago.

Back