Absence of Proof is Not Proof of Absence scenarios

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if anyone really cares about the cards that I leave for the guests for a special occasion or event? And the special chocolates or candy bar or whatever that I put with it. Maybe one or two persons has ever said something about it.
I quit doing an evening social hour early on...no one was around. I rarely put out afternoon refreshments in the dining room anymore. I just leave individual plates in the rooms.
The rest I'll keep doing....
Samster said:
I wonder if anyone really cares about the cards that I leave for the guests for a special occasion or event? And the special chocolates or candy bar or whatever that I put with it. Maybe one or two persons has ever said something about it.
I quit doing an evening social hour early on...no one was around. I rarely put out afternoon refreshments in the dining room anymore. I just leave individual plates in the rooms.
The rest I'll keep doing...
They do notice the special cards (especially if they are personalized) and chocolates for special occasions. We do that too, and it's an accumulative affect. When you add all the little special touches especially when it's personalized they notice. I have a very simple greeting card program on my computer and I make them a personalized anniversary/birthday/honeymoon/graduation card with a couple local chocolates.
Here's what I hear often: "I forgot to bring some q-tips, but then I turned around and there they were. I needed a hair dryer and there it was. I wanted a wine opener and glasses, and they were right there in the room.I needed an iron and there it was etc., etc., etc. We've tried to put everything either in their rooms or in an area that's obvious. We have an ice maker in the common area because I kept getting guests asking for ice. If I get a request more than a couple times, I'll do everything in my power to get it for the inn so guests don't have to ask for anything. Not only does it make it nicer for them, but if they have it at their fingertips they are not interrupting my personal time. It's a win, win!
If I get a request more than a couple times, I'll do everything in my power to get it for the inn so guests don't have to ask for anything. Not only does it make it nicer for them, but if they have it at their fingertips they are not interrupting my personal time.
We've tried that, too. We now have a computer in the common area and added a microwave in the guest pantry. When we remodeled we specifically bought a 'dorm' fridge with a freezer so we could have ice out and so guests could refreeze their cooler ice blocks.
The next thing will be a little basket of 'toiletries' that usually get forgotten.
Bree said:
If I get a request more than a couple times, I'll do everything in my power to get it for the inn so guests don't have to ask for anything. Not only does it make it nicer for them, but if they have it at their fingertips they are not interrupting my personal time.
We've tried that, too. We now have a computer in the common area and added a microwave in the guest pantry. When we remodeled we specifically bought a 'dorm' fridge with a freezer so we could have ice out and so guests could refreeze their cooler ice blocks.
The next thing will be a little basket of 'toiletries' that usually get forgotten.
I think one of the things that really impresses and endears our guests is what appears to be an effortless anticipation on our part of what little thing they'll forget or need.
We'll never offer a guest computer in this day and age of nearly everyone having a laptop, iphone, blackberry, etc. seemingly glued to their body.
We've seen the reams of paper, piles of guidebooks, literature, etc. that people already bring with them for a two or three night stay and we have a whole library of additonal information for them and our advice to offer. Most of this stuff ends up in our info library to be reused or in the recycling pile because the guest just had to fold it fifteen times, get food on it, etc..
Having the computer addicted types sit around all day pumping out even more printouts of restaurant menus, trail maps, museum hours, etc. is ridiculous for us as we try to lower our ecological footprint. The idea is to actually get people out of the B&B for a few hours per day and go do all the great stuff they read about in the reams of paper they brought with them.
Not sit around on our dime and generate even more paper waste and have even less time to go out and see cool stuff.
Our internet service plan has a limit on the number of megabytes available in any given 24 hour period except between like 2-6 am. Its like over 750 MB, which one would think would be really hard to go over. Not so.
This past weekend despite it being absolutely gorgeous out, we had two different guests who spent much of their time downloading movies, music, photos, etc. and bumped us over the limit twice which essentially squeezes the amount of bandwidth available to us or anyone else here to nearly nothing
I'm not going to pay for even more bandwidth or offer more than the 700 TV channels available on our current satelite system just because the rare guest can't disengage themselves from their addiction to their "cyberworld" habits.
I would think that the toiletry basket thing would be one of the first amenities any of us had put some effort into offering. Especially after the new airline regualtions went into effect several years ago and people started having essentials taken away if not properly packed or sized.

Samster said:
They do notice the special cards (especially if they are personalized) and chocolates for special occasions. We do that too, and it's an accumulative affect. When you add all the little special touches especially when it's personalized they notice. I have a very simple greeting card program on my computer and I make them a personalized anniversary/birthday/honeymoon/graduation card with a couple local chocolates.
Here's what I hear often: "I forgot to bring some q-tips, but then I turned around and there they were. I needed a hair dryer and there it was. I wanted a wine opener and glasses, and they were right there in the room.I needed an iron and there it was etc., etc., etc. We've tried to put everything either in their rooms or in an area that's obvious. We have an ice maker in the common area because I kept getting guests asking for ice. If I get a request more than a couple times, I'll do everything in my power to get it for the inn so guests don't have to ask for anything. Not only does it make it nicer for them, but if they have it at their fingertips they are not interrupting my personal time. It's a win, win!
Bree said:
I think one of the things that really impresses and endears our guests is what appears to be an effortless anticipation on our part of what little thing they'll forget or need.
We'll never offer a guest computer in this day and age of nearly everyone having a laptop, iphone, blackberry, etc. seemingly glued to their body.
We've seen the reams of paper, piles of guidebooks, literature, etc. that people already bring with them for a two or three night stay and we have a whole library of additonal information for them and our advice to offer. Most of this stuff ends up in our info library to be reused or in the recycling pile because the guest just had to fold it fifteen times, get food on it, etc..
Having the computer addicted types sit around all day pumping out even more printouts of restaurant menus, trail maps, museum hours, etc. is ridiculous for us as we try to lower our ecological footprint. The idea is to actually get people out of the B&B for a few hours per day and go do all the great stuff they read about in the reams of paper they brought with them.
Not sit around on our dime and generate even more paper waste and have even less time to go out and see cool stuff.
Our internet service plan has a limit on the number of megabytes available in any given 24 hour period except between like 2-6 am. Its like over 750 MB, which one would think would be really hard to go over. Not so.
This past weekend despite it being absolutely gorgeous out, we had two different guests who spent much of their time downloading movies, music, photos, etc. and bumped us over the limit twice which essentially squeezes the amount of bandwidth available to us or anyone else here to nearly nothing
I'm not going to pay for even more bandwidth or offer more than the 700 TV channels available on our current satelite system just because the rare guest can't disengage themselves from their addiction to their "cyberworld" habits.
I would think that the toiletry basket thing would be one of the first amenities any of us had put some effort into offering. Especially after the new airline regualtions went into effect several years ago and people started having essentials taken away if not properly packed or sized.
No paper trail. The computer isn't hooked to a printer. It's an amenity we were offering anyway by loaning out our own laptop, this just makes it more convenient for all concerned. All of that 'paper' that gets left behind of everything the guest printed out at home gets turned over to the blank side and I print the guest reservation forms the guests sign on arrival.
Luckily, the internet service here is so lousy that no one would try to download anything! Heck, I get a rebate on my phone line every month because the phone is never clear, it's always staticky. Gotta love the boonies.

Samster said:
Bree said:
No paper trail. The computer isn't hooked to a printer. It's an amenity we were offering anyway by loaning out our own laptop, this just makes it more convenient for all concerned. All of that 'paper' that gets left behind of everything the guest printed out at home gets turned over to the blank side and I print the guest reservation forms the guests sign on arrival.
Luckily, the internet service here is so lousy that no one would try to download anything! Heck, I get a rebate on my phone line every month because the phone is never clear, it's always staticky. Gotta love the boonies.
Bree said:
I'm hip to what you're saying. We do the same thing, but it does take more time being conscientous sorting through the piles of stuff they all leave and deciding what is worthy of saving and reusing.
I guess we've based our decisions on our own experience that the handful of guests who get pushy about wanting use of a computer here are also some of our least friendly, congenial and most troublesome guests.
We've had the lack of computer access piled on to the other lies written in our only negative reviews and truth be told, if a guest is nice, friendly, respectful and polite in asking, we'll let them jump on our computer to check emails, print boarding passes, etc... But diplomatically saying in a managment response that if you're a rude, pushy jerk, you can't use our computer has never been easy to express correctly so we haven't.
Wow! If just having scrathy phone service could get us money from the phone company we'd be rich out here in the sticks.

Samster said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
Gotta love the boonies.
I NEVER would have thought you to be out in the sticks.

Samster said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
I'm hip to what you're saying. We do the same thing, but it does take more time being conscientous sorting through the piles of stuff they all leave and deciding what is worthy of saving and reusing.
I guess we've based our decisions on our own experience that the handful of guests who get pushy about wanting use of a computer here are also some of our least friendly, congenial and most troublesome guests.
We've had the lack of computer access piled on to the other lies written in our only negative reviews and truth be told, if a guest is nice, friendly, respectful and polite in asking, we'll let them jump on our computer to check emails, print boarding passes, etc... But diplomatically saying in a managment response that if you're a rude, pushy jerk, you can't use our computer has never been easy to express correctly so we haven't.
Wow! If just having scrathy phone service could get us money from the phone company we'd be rich out here in the sticks.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Bree said:
I have to sort trash. We go thru every trash can in the place and remove recyclables/redeemables. Yeah, it's messy, but when you're hauling your own trash to the dump and paying by the bag, it's worth every penny to put the majority of it in the recycle pile! We cut the trash down from 2- 40 gal bins/week to 2- 40 gal bins/month. Altho the PO's recycled, a lot still went in the trash. We cut the trash bill down from $90/month to $10/month. We also cut the water bill by 30%. Which means the sewer bill went down too. Electric bill down by 25%. And we leave lights on, which they cautioned us not to do. 'Shut everything off as soon as the guest walks out of the room.' That included the heat and A/C. So they sweltered in the summer and froze in the winter. We just went green and saved a fortune and we're comfortable. As soon as we can get the solar panels approved (historic building) we'll put those up as well.

Samster said:
I do hear about all the things that you mention that we also have in the rooms: the extra bathroom amenities, robes, iron/board, sewing kits, lint rollers, etc., etc. Lots of people remark that they have everything that they need or we've thought of everything. That is very gratifying.
But I can't honestly remember the last time that I heard anyone mention when I've gone out of my way to recognize their special occasion, even if they happen to just mention it in passing.
I think that's the kind of thing that started this thread. Is the extra cost of doing these things worth it? Will it garner more business? Or do we just do it because we like to?
Samster said:
I think that's the kind of thing that started this thread. Is the extra cost of doing these things worth it? Will it garner more business? Or do we just do it because we like to?
Sometimes I think we just have to do what we like to do. If putting out a small recognition of an event makes us happy, we should continue to do it. If it's a chore, then we should stop doing it.
Over 20 years ago I stayed at a B&B in P-town. The owners left a bottle of champagne and some chocolates in the fridge because I told them it was a special event. I've remembered that all this time. When we were looking at B&B's some of the best advice we got was from 2 guys in NH who explained how the smallest 'token' was long-remembered by their guests and many times it's the little things that keep guests coming back.
Especially for me, where I am, where there is a lot of choice, I need to provide that little 'token' that someone remembers. And I do it because I am still 'passing on' that generous bottle of champagne and chocolates from 20 years ago.
Oh, I agree about the small tokens for special occasions..I do it because I like to do it. But I was answering what was started in the thread and it's something that I haven't really had much feedback on at all. I get really positive feedback on things that I do that are the "gift of time", like printing out boarding passes, taking the time to highlight maps with how to get to this place or the other, and dropping letters at the post office. Things like that which I'm also happy to provide for our guests.
I will be adding a guest computer with a printer soon. I have lots of folks needing to print out boarding passes and it's a win-win for me - the guest gets what they need and I won't get interrupted to do it for them :)
I stopped setting out afternoon refreshments in the dining room. They would sit and it was another task to add to my afternoon routine. Works much better here to provide something in each room, especially since most rooms have fridges or one within steps of the room.

Samster said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Bree said:
I have to sort trash. We go thru every trash can in the place and remove recyclables/redeemables. Yeah, it's messy, but when you're hauling your own trash to the dump and paying by the bag, it's worth every penny to put the majority of it in the recycle pile! We cut the trash down from 2- 40 gal bins/week to 2- 40 gal bins/month. Altho the PO's recycled, a lot still went in the trash. We cut the trash bill down from $90/month to $10/month. We also cut the water bill by 30%. Which means the sewer bill went down too. Electric bill down by 25%. And we leave lights on, which they cautioned us not to do. 'Shut everything off as soon as the guest walks out of the room.' That included the heat and A/C. So they sweltered in the summer and froze in the winter. We just went green and saved a fortune and we're comfortable. As soon as we can get the solar panels approved (historic building) we'll put those up as well.
We're right there with you on doing the full sort, haul our own trash, recycling, etc.
And it doesn't seem to matter if you tell people, have a little sign in the room, etc. alerting them that you recycle everything and to turn off excess lighting, A/C unit etc. when leaving the property for any length of time, they won't do it. Most of our guests coming from the state to the southeast of here are downright proud and extremely indignant about just how wasteful they can be with every natural resource on earth while moaning at the breakfast table each day about their $700 monthly electric bills.
We figure the "green' types who are making up more and more of our clientele split the difference on stuff like this, so we don't fret over any of it.
Fishing through the room trash every day even for the so called "green" guests can be gross when they are including their nasty kleenexs, feminine products, etc.. but thats what elbow length rubber gloves were invented for.
I'm almost embarrassed to tell you what our annual trash fees are at the dump. $35 gets you 24 punches with free recycling and yard debris dropoff. Each punch is good for whatever you can fit in a two axle vehicle. Every single year we've been here, we've had at least six or more punches left when the card expires in July.
The major drivers of our utility savings has been the purchases of high efficiency appliances, replacement of every light bulb except bedside reading lights with compact flourescents and the most energy efficient hot tub on the market.
We are on a well and septic, so no costs there, but we're not frivolous with the water ourlseves, so when confronted with the occassional very wasteful guest, we don't sweat it.

Samster said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Bree said:
Bree
Aside from the trash....what green initiatives have you done to amount those savings?

Samster said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Bree said:
Bree
Aside from the trash....what green initiatives have you done to amount those savings?
One Day said:
Bree
CFL's, timers on every power-sucking appliance that doesn't need to run 24x7, we fixed every toilet in the building (all were constantly running), flow restrictors on faucets (also keeps guests from spraying water all over the bathroom and themselves). Trees. Lots of them. Blocking the sun in the summer. (We didn't plant them, but we didn't cut them down, either!) We don't water outside (potted plants excepted). Last time I checked just the water savings were 10k+ gallons in one year. We also brought front loader washers with us. Cut out the ironing! Down duvets on the beds to cut down on guests turning heat to 80 in the winter! All of the rooms have windows that open (cuts down on A/C usage).
There may be more, but that's what I can think of now. We're constantly 'sealing up' cracks, etc in the building.

Water....
That is the only least expensive utility we have.
I have to water the lawn.....have to have lush green...it's what I do, who I am.
Utility costs will be high on the list when considering location
And I'm not in favor of hauling my own garbage to the dump....We do that with our business yard waste....that's a gimme....home waste. Municipal pick up would be a must
The untilty cost savings I have done with our home....CF all over the house. I will say...just doing that has done a great deal. Keeping the central air a degree or 2 higher. Appliences, yeah done and doing all that. Washer and dryer now both front loaders (wish I had gotten the pedestals)
We had just contracted to replace our front bow window and front storm door....this will be the second replacement....first replacement the bow window is static, have not been able to cross ventilate.....We will with the new one......"They" didn't want the bow to open.......they didn't want the dust that an open would create......There's dust anyway.
Fortunately this summer has been cool and not humid till just around now. Our most recent electric usage was half of what it was a year ago May and June
However......I do notice the increase of electric Thanksgiving through Christmas holidays...cooking, baking.....Christmas.......I have double ovens on for 12 hours a day for 4-5 days.
This past winter mom and dad killed me with the heating (gas) $1,000 for January and February....the year before was about $600 for the 2 months. OK we had mild winters 07, 06.....I don't like having to wear shorts in the house in the winter.

Water....
I have to water the lawn.....have to have lush green...it's what I do, who I am.
And I'm not in favor of hauling my own garbage to the dump....We do that with our business yard waste....that's a gimme....home waste. Municipal pick up would be a must
The untilty cost savings I have done with our home....CF all over the house. I will say...just doing that has done a great deal. Keeping the central air a degree or 2 higher. Appliences, yeah done and doing all that. Washer and dryer now both front loaders (wish I had gotten the pedestals)
We had just contracted to replace our front bow window and front storm door....this will be the second replacement....first replacement the bow window is static, have not been able to cross ventilate.....We will with the new one......"They" didn't want the bow to open.......they didn't want the dust that an open would create......There's dust anyway.
Fortunately this summer has been cool and not humid till just around now. Our most recent electric usage was half of what it was a year ago May and June
However......I do notice the increase of electric Thanksgiving through Christmas holidays...cooking, baking.....Christmas.......I have double ovens on for 12 hours a day for 4-5 days.
This past winter mom and dad killed me with the heating (gas) $1,000 for January and February....the year before was about $600 for the 2 months. OK we had mild winters 07, 06.....I don't like having to wear shorts in the house in the winter..
Municipal pickup would be nice. I pay enough in taxes...but, no, not in this town!

Water....
This past winter mom and dad killed me with the heating (gas) $1,000 for January and February....the year before was about $600 for the 2 months. OK we had mild winters 07, 06.....I don't like having to wear shorts in the house in the winter..
Municipal pickup would be nice. I pay enough in taxes...but, no, not in this town!
Us too and we pay high taxes too. Also pay $18.50 a month for garbage pick up.

type in your zip in the search
it will show your location and there will be page links..."People", "Health", "Crime" and so on.....click on those topics
There is a topic "Cost of Living"

type in your zip in the search
it will show your location and there will be page links..."People", "Health", "Crime" and so on.....click on those topics
There is a topic "Cost of Living".
I see the problem...I don't live in a place big enough to be listed. Let me find a 'nearby' city...
OK, in the 'nearby' city it's 103 overall but 152 for utilities.

We recycle. We've set out special bins by the cottages and most guest have been very good about putting recyclable material into them. Since we built new, our home and the guest cottages are as energy efficient as we could make them.
Our biggest waste is water. We're on a well, but we'd still like to save watering so much. We're going to have an automatic sprinkler and drip irrigation system put in this fall. This should make the process more efficient and use less water by watering everything early in the morning before the sun comes out to bake the ground.

We recycle. We've set out special bins by the cottages and most guest have been very good about putting recyclable material into them. Since we built new, our home and the guest cottages are as energy efficient as we could make them.
Our biggest waste is water. We're on a well, but we'd still like to save watering so much. We're going to have an automatic sprinkler and drip irrigation system put in this fall. This should make the process more efficient and use less water by watering everything early in the morning before the sun comes out to bake the ground..
yes...with an automatic system....you start it at like 2-3am. Water pressure is a non issue......and this allows the water to penetrate the soil.

Back