Absolutely imperative info

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, calling the advertiser tomorrow to get my ad in for next year's mag. (Local, tourist pub.) What is the absolutely essential info that has to be in the ad to get someone to call? Right now this 'mag' has about 3 ads in the entire thing for lodging.
Tag line? Necessary or bonus if there is room? (Tag line on website in header photo.)
Consider yourself a tourist with this mag in hand. What would make you call (besides my actually remembering to include a phone number)? Mag is avail all year, not just summer.
The picture will be a line drawing of the inn (I think it will show better than any photo I have) and I've looked at the photos in the other ads. Meh. (New word just added to dictionary this year. Don't go off on a tangent about the word...stick to the question at hand.
wink_smile.gif
)

A workshop I took at Gov Conference said the most important thing BANNER on the ad is what is in it for the guest!
What is the biggest benefit of staying with YOU? Black letters on white background works best.
My opinion:
  • web site
  • phone
  • name of inn
  • proximity to shopping (given your location)
  • tag line

A workshop I took at Gov Conference said the most important thing BANNER on the ad is what is in it for the guest!
What is the biggest benefit of staying with YOU? Black letters on white background works best.
My opinion:
  • web site
  • phone
  • name of inn
  • tag line
So the amenities? A/C, fireplaces, full breakfast, private baths. Along with proximity to what there is to do. Along with 'open year round'!
I should just run down the top three questions we get...and answer them!

OPEN YEAR ROUND.
seashanty said:
OPEN YEAR ROUND
Good one. I would have forgotten that. And it's important given the mag is avail all year and not much is open lodging-wise year round. It might even pull in a few that missed this town during the summer, but took the mag home with them.

My opinion:
  • web site
  • phone
  • name of inn
  • tag line
So the amenities? A/C, fireplaces, full breakfast, private baths. Along with proximity to what there is to do. Along with 'open year round'!
I do not know how large your ad will be, but definitely answer the top three questions. The open year round is excellent and one I had forgotten.
The presenter said that the name of your business is secondary to the question - "What is in it for me!" His example was ads for printers in the Yellow Pages and the one that grabbed everyone (his scenario was I have a presentation tomorrow and my handouts are not done as expected) was the one that bannered - something like - Today's Job Done Yesterday! That is not it, but something to convey we guarantee to get it done NOW. He did not care what their name was, only that his print job would be ready and here is their phone number.
So tout the thing all your guests tell you was the best thing about their stay. Read the comment books. Then list the other things.

My opinion:
  • web site
  • phone
  • name of inn
  • tag line
I agree... whatever it is about your B&B that is fabulous and wonderful and better than anywhere else in the area. Open All Year. WiFi. Private in room potties. Party showers. Off-street parking. Across the street from the ulitmate shopping destination.
That's ours... walking distance to AU and ATS. Wireless. Private potties.
And how did you hear about meh? Even though it's self-explanatory I looked it up... great word! (I wonder if I used it in Scrabble if my friends would protest it's not in the latest edition of the Scrabble Dictionary?)
=)
Kk.

1/4 page, newsprint, B&W (all of which are why I went with the line drawing). There's not much color in the mag this year and what's there isn't catchy.

What size is the ad space? Black & white or full colour? Is it printed on newsprint, matte or glossy stock?
If it's printing colour on decent stock, then a colour photo is much much more eye-catching than a line drawing.
Your message should tell the reader why s/he should stay with you. Why you? What is the benefit to the guest to choose you?
I would include, not necessarily in this order:
  • photo
  • inn logo/name
  • message (why stay with you)
  • website
  • phone number
  • address (especially since walk-ins are a significant part of your business)
  • open year round (if that's a worry for tourists in your area)

1/4 page, newsprint, B&W (all of which are why I went with the line drawing). There's not much color in the mag this year and what's there isn't catchy..
A lot of white with black lettering. He said do not "get cute". People see black lettering on white best.

Do you want to track if the ad brings you business? Add a line - 'mention code LCL1 for special discount'. Or something along those lines.
Meh was added to the dictionary this year? Another word from the internetz - it's been used for awhile on Television Without Pity. Mostly for describing Meredith on Grey's Anatomy.

An idea for the tracking "extra" - do a booklet of favorite recipes from our inn. Do an assortment of about 10 or 12 with a blurb about the inn.
You can set it up on your computer and print off as necessary. Costs little and is a bonus to the guests. My guests are always wanting my recipes.

Keep it simple, Make words as large as possible. Think....can almost everyone read this without glasses.
Only the facts.
Logo,address, web address,phone number, owners name. Too much verbage gets lost, no one reads it. Entice them to go to your web site to see the real deal or to make the phone call.

1/4 page, newsprint, B&W (all of which are why I went with the line drawing). There's not much color in the mag this year and what's there isn't catchy..
B&W newsprint? Then difinitely don't bother with a photo, not even a B&W photo. Line drawing and logotype for your name will look better.
I would also suggest you don't leave it to the publication to design your layout. Some of the B&B's in my association bought ads in a special publication earlier this year. The ones who left it to the sales rep to take care of were hugely disappointed with the results. This happens a lot with small advertisers. I'm not knocking the people who work at the publications, they just don't have the knowlege of the industry or of your business, and they don't have the time to do it well. So if possible, do it yourself.
My suggestion to people who don't have a layout program: measure out the ad size on a blank piece of paper and sketch in what you want your ad to look like. Then fax or email it to the sales rep to use as a guide for the layout. Then make sure you get to see and approve (and revise if necessary!) your ad before it goes to press.

B&W newsprint? Then difinitely don't bother with a photo, not even a B&W photo. Line drawing and logotype for your name will look better.
I would also suggest you don't leave it to the publication to design your layout. Some of the B&B's in my association bought ads in a special publication earlier this year. The ones who left it to the sales rep to take care of were hugely disappointed with the results. This happens a lot with small advertisers. I'm not knocking the people who work at the publications, they just don't have the knowlege of the industry or of your business, and they don't have the time to do it well. So if possible, do it yourself.
My suggestion to people who don't have a layout program: measure out the ad size on a blank piece of paper and sketch in what you want your ad to look like. Then fax or email it to the sales rep to use as a guide for the layout. Then make sure you get to see and approve (and revise if necessary!) your ad before it goes to press.
happyjacks said:
I'm going to email her the line drawing, all the text I want and suggestions for where to place the text. BUT, I like your suggestion of doing it up on a sheet of paper and faxing it. The 'art dept' can place it all and then she can fax it back for approval. (And, yes, I will have to approve it!)

Does the publication get mailed out or is it just picked up locally. If it gets mailed out, think of it in terms of driving people to your website. IF it is picked up locally, then make your address and phone number more prominent. If it is mailed out and picked up locally then you can put them on even footing.
I agree completely with Gillumhouse's suggestion of doing the mockup for them so they are starting with something you want.

Does the publication get mailed out or is it just picked up locally. If it gets mailed out, think of it in terms of driving people to your website. IF it is picked up locally, then make your address and phone number more prominent. If it is mailed out and picked up locally then you can put them on even footing.
I agree completely with Gillumhouse's suggestion of doing the mockup for them so they are starting with something you want..
Local pickup only as far as I know. (I get them delivered to me, so I could mail them, but the guest has then already contacted me.)

I agree completely with Gillumhouse's suggestion of doing the mockup for them so they are starting with something you want..
Local pickup only as far as I know. (I get them delivered to me, so I could mail them, but the guest has then already contacted me.)
Then you may want to just focus on the ad as being for people who are already in town. If room allows you may even want a little map that shows your rough location.

Then you may want to just focus on the ad as being for people who are already in town. If room allows you may even want a little map that shows your rough location.
The 'local' part is statewide. Not just right here. Someone could pick this up 300 miles away. The ad placement will be in the section for my general geo location.

Back