Acceptable limitations of the Lodging Voucher

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
This is a new one...even for me.
Condensed version: A woman was coming from out of town to visit her sister and family in my town. The woman cancelled at the last minute due to personal reasons and we issued her a Lodging voucher good for the $ amount of her stay. The woman confessed to not being able to use the LV within its designated time period and asked if she could give it to her sister and brother in law to use. We agreed. The local sister booked a suite this weekend with this voucher. So far, so good. Now, this woman and her family live in my town and are active in county politics, know everyone etc.
At this time, she has gone home, brought her 2 kids (under age 12) back with her and they are playing in the jacuzzi in her suite.
Would you say something or not? They are the only ones in that area of the Inn for the time being. Thoughts?

I think they're pushing it if you don't allow kids. Are the kids going home or are they staying over? I find it rude when guests think it's ok to bring kids in to 'play' in the jetted tubs. It's not a swimming pool.

I do believe I would have to point out that "this inn is a no children facility. I am sorry but I must request that the children be taken home."

Difficult to do once it is in progress, but if she came in boasting about what she planned to do with the kids in tow, then is the time to put a halt to it. I would however, provide her with your policies as she leaves so she knows for the future.
If you have a no children policy and she does not leave to take the children home, I would darken her door with the policy in hand. Yes, you risk the bad word of mouth, but if she tells them the real story about having children there, most would raise an eyebrow and do their own investigating if/when they need your services.

I am keeping my eye on them. I suspect the kids will be taken home as there is only a queen size bed in that room. I think that she is a first time B & B goer and is basically clueless. I will out there in a flash at the first hint of noise or bad manners. I can hear them through the kitchen pantry and so far the kids are on their best behavior.

I think that since they're not disturbing anyone, I'd let it go for now. For now.
As long as the kids are gone before anyone else gets there, no harm done. Especially if she's very active in the community, it sounds like she's someone you would like to keep in good graces.
But at some point, I'd find a way to let her know that I let it go since they were having such a good time. But that she should know for the future that the inn is not kid-friendly (if it's not) and that occupancy limits are usually strictly enforced.
My first concern would be that she would trash you if the conversation isn't handled with kid gloves. My second concern would be that she'd blab to the community that the kids were welcome and that it's easy to get around the inn's policies. Either way, the issue does need to be addressed. Just carefully.
It's possible that she has no idea that she'd doing anything wrong. I'd sure give her the benefit of the doubt on that one.
But I'd also make sure she knows that you've really done her a big favor by letting it go as long as you did.

I think that since they're not disturbing anyone, I'd let it go for now. For now.
As long as the kids are gone before anyone else gets there, no harm done. Especially if she's very active in the community, it sounds like she's someone you would like to keep in good graces.
But at some point, I'd find a way to let her know that I let it go since they were having such a good time. But that she should know for the future that the inn is not kid-friendly (if it's not) and that occupancy limits are usually strictly enforced.
My first concern would be that she would trash you if the conversation isn't handled with kid gloves. My second concern would be that she'd blab to the community that the kids were welcome and that it's easy to get around the inn's policies. Either way, the issue does need to be addressed. Just carefully.
It's possible that she has no idea that she'd doing anything wrong. I'd sure give her the benefit of the doubt on that one.
But I'd also make sure she knows that you've really done her a big favor by letting it go as long as you did..
Innkeeper To Go said:
But I'd also make sure she knows that you've really done her a big favor by letting it go as long as you did.
I shmoozed her a little when she checked out and told her that we were delighted that she could share a B & B experience with her children as many B & B's are 'child free zones'. She had no idea and appreciated being told. She said that going forward, staying at a B & B was not something that she had ever considered doing but would again as she really enjoyed herself. She said she would recommend us, so it all worked out in the end. I love a happy ending!

But I'd also make sure she knows that you've really done her a big favor by letting it go as long as you did..
Innkeeper To Go said:
I shmoozed her a little when she checked out and told her that we were delighted that she could share a B & B experience with her children as many B & B's are 'child free zones'. She had no idea and appreciated being told. She said that going forward, staying at a B & B was not something that she had ever considered doing but would again as she really enjoyed herself. She said she would recommend us, so it all worked out in the end. I love a happy ending!
Sounds like you handled it brilliantly!
And yes, happy endings are always nice.

Innkeeper To Go said:
That was a really nice way to handle it, good for you! Very gracious and yet you still were able to let her know that it wasn't quite "kosher" that her kids were playing in the whirlpool...the level of cluelessness in people is just mind-bending!

Innkeeper To Go said:
Glad it worked out. We "think" we know how we would handle things, but really do not until the situation arises. It was a very ticklish situation. Good show!

Back