Accepting Babies (again) - NO

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a few inquiries from people with young or small children. I tell them that we have no kid equipment, are not child-proof, and that we have a historic property with antiques. One prospective guest wrote how her 5 year old was like a little adult and would we make an exception to our "rule"?
I added this to my reply: "We find that parents usually don't think that a traditional bed and breakfast is suited for younger children than around 12 years old as we are in historic buildings with stairs, have antiques, and are not child-proof. We also serve a plated 3 course sit-down breakfast. If you think that your child would enjoy this experience and that other guests would enjoy her company as well, we'd be happy to have you join us."
I don't hear back from folks..
Samster said:
I have had a few inquiries from people with young or small children. I tell them that we have no kid equipment, are not child-proof, and that we have a historic property with antiques. One prospective guest wrote how her 5 year old was like a little adult and would we make an exception to our "rule"?
I added this to my reply: "We find that parents usually don't think that a traditional bed and breakfast is suited for younger children than around 12 years old as we are in historic buildings with stairs, have antiques, and are not child-proof. We also serve a plated 3 course sit-down breakfast. If you think that your child would enjoy this experience and that other guests would enjoy her company as well, we'd be happy to have you join us."
I don't hear back from folks.
Yeah, I think the 'sit down' part is what trips them up every time.
haha!

Samster said:
Samster you are brilliant :) :) :)

Samster said:
Samster you are brilliant :) :) :)
Well, I don't know about that! This could easily backfire. haha!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I don't take kids, either, especially babies...no way Jose, not any day! I never wanted to be around babies when I was a kid, nor as an adult and I never had any myself...no regrets...but that's me. So, I don't want them here either. We have a lot of very expensive equipment here that most kids just wouldn't comprehend. For example, the toilets are over $1,000 each. Break that and you will wish you were dead.
Kids like to put marbles down the toilet because they think it makes a neat sound. Put marbles in your garbage disposal, and you'll get the picture.
Kids also like to push buttons and pull levers when no one's looking, after they've been told not to touch it. If someone pulls the Halon lever which is for use only during a fire, to be pulled by the last man out, you can instantly kill the occupants who may be in any of those engine compartments - those persons who might be in there would only be crew - that means ME.
So, anyone can blast me all they want for telling them that their kids are not welcome here, and it won't bother me at all. What I tell folks is that we are not equipped from a US Coast Guard aspect to accept kids (meaning I don't have kid-sized life vests and other similar safety equipment), and that's why we don't. Perhaps that sounds more like I'm concerned about the safety of their children rather than what their children might do to my property. The real reason I won't outfit the boat with kid sized stuff is as I mentioned above.

well I checked around and not one other b & b in our area allows children either.
What pleasant letters I received from that woman... they don't deserve a response.
There are many places that don't allow children and for good reason. My experience with them at my B&B is
reason enough. And it's not fair to other guests if they have to put up
with a crying baby. No, not all children are brats and there are many reasons why babies cry.,
but I can't pick and choose. All must be treated equally.
I'm Ignoring her letters. We wouldn't hear from the Better Business Bureau
even if she did "report" us. They'd probably agree with me.
I love all your ideas and I'm going to have them pasted on my desk so I can be prepared for the next inquiry about bringing a small child.
You are all great! Really.

well I checked around and not one other b & b in our area allows children either.
What pleasant letters I received from that woman... they don't deserve a response.
There are many places that don't allow children and for good reason. My experience with them at my B&B is
with a crying baby. No, not all children are brats and there are many reasons why babies cry.,
I love all your ideas and I'm going to have them pasted on my desk so I can be prepared for the next inquiry about bringing a small child.
You are all great! Really..
knowlesl said:
Lo, forget about the kid disrupting the B&B the mother is hell on wheels! I can't believe that! I mean, BITE YOUR TONGUE - or mouse, whatever you want to call it, it would be way way too easy to reply to her with an "Okay the real reason is I don't want YOU here!"
It just CONFIRMS what we always say, when you see a kid acting up turn around and slug the parent! Can you imagine how that kid WOULD behave now that the parent has shown her psycho-true-colors? Sheesh! Run run away from that one. Stick to your policies - it is ALWAYS TRUE I don't care how many times we talk about it, the well behaved parents with well behaved kids would totally understand and NEVER force themselves on others.

knowlesl said:
Lo, forget about the kid disrupting the B&B the mother is hell on wheels! I can't believe that! I mean, BITE YOUR TONGUE - or mouse, whatever you want to call it, it would be way way too easy to reply to her with an "Okay the real reason is I don't want YOU here!"
It just CONFIRMS what we always say, when you see a kid acting up turn around and slug the parent! Can you imagine how that kid WOULD behave now that the parent has shown her psycho-true-colors? Sheesh! Run run away from that one. Stick to your policies - it is ALWAYS TRUE I don't care how many times we talk about it, the well behaved parents with well behaved kids would totally understand and NEVER force themselves on others.
A guest had a good sock-the-parent story about her shop...3 yo running wild, would not stop grabbing everything in sight (which kids do, no matter what) and finally latched onto a mallet from a croquet set. Swung it wildly around and parent could not get mallet away from child for love nor money. So, parting with money, parent bought whole croquest set (to the tune of $100) and left store with perfectly happy little monster.
We discussed quite a few similar events that happened at her store and she said she doesn't mind pets and kids, it's the adults she could do without!

Well I must brag about my 2-legged animals.
Just before the wedding I went to a shoe store to get new shoes for #1 son who was going to be best man. Of course all 6 were present. Since he was in men's sizes there were not enough chairs for all there so #1 daughter took the others to the rear of the store to sit until purchase completed.
As we checked out, the clerk remarked that she could not believe there were 6 kids in the store - that she sometimes had 1 kid in that was a total upheaval. yes, I strutted out of that store with my brood.
Tantrums, fits, and outbursts were reserved for OUR side of the front door.

No, never say you don't take children or babies. Say you have nothing available. Even if you've said you have you can "Oops, just looked at the wrong month. I have nothing at all available." It is not legal to discriminate against children - at least not in Canada.

knowlesl said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
...the well behaved parents with well behaved kids would totally understand and NEVER force themselves on others.
Thank you, and YES!! When I travel I read the policies. No kids, I don't even call or email. Unclear, I call. Heck, I've called even when the website says they take kids just to make sure they'll take twins!
This lady... no way!
=)
Kk.

No, never say you don't take children or babies. Say you have nothing available. Even if you've said you have you can "Oops, just looked at the wrong month. I have nothing at all available." It is not legal to discriminate against children - at least not in Canada..
ginocat said:
No, never say you don't take children or babies. Say you have nothing available. Even if you've said you have you can "Oops, just looked at the wrong month. I have nothing at all available." It is not legal to discriminate against children - at least not in Canada.
Good. Thanks for posting that, we (US side of the border) didn't know what your rules were. Here it really depends on the city/county/state what is allowed.
Many avoid the situation by not having enough 'bed space' for more than 2 per room, as deemed safe by the fire dept.

No, never say you don't take children or babies. Say you have nothing available. Even if you've said you have you can "Oops, just looked at the wrong month. I have nothing at all available." It is not legal to discriminate against children - at least not in Canada..
ginocat said:
Good. Thanks for posting that, we (US side of the border) didn't know what your rules were. Here it really depends on the city/county/state what is allowed.
Many avoid the situation by not having enough 'bed space' for more than 2 per room, as deemed safe by the fire dept.
I will do that sometimes if there are older children and they want to put them in one room. In fact I am licensed and insured for X number of people so I am not lying about the 2 per room policy. Some will still do the 2 rooms and put baby and mom in one room and dad in another (in theory).

ginocat said:
I will do that sometimes if there are older children and they want to put them in one room. In fact I am licensed and insured for X number of people so I am not lying about the 2 per room policy. Some will still do the 2 rooms and put baby and mom in one room and dad in another (in theory).
ginocat said:
Yeah, the 'theory' part worries me! I've had parents want to put youngsters (under age 7) in a room on a completely different floor from the parents. OK, yes, this is a house, not a hotel but what if the kid needed the parent in the middle of the night? If I can't get parents and kids into the same room and the kids are young, I just won't accept them. But I'm set up for parents & kids in the sense that I have the space. I have a couple of games and lots of books, but nothing else kids like such as a pool or TV. So they have to be in the room with the parents.
We did have a family last summer from Belgium and the kids had one room downstairs and the parents were upstairs, but the kids were 12 and up.

Back