Ack! Parking!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Handed Jill

Reaction score
I never thought this would be an issue for us! We have great parking...if only, we could get people to use it!
Here's the deal: We have more than ample guest parking - paved - on the side of the house. We, however, park in back of the house (there is a short driveway to our parking; guests can park in the lot directly form the street). We don't want guests parking back in our space. Why?
  1. When it rains (and while we do have dry spells, it can POUR here), they have to walk a very long way through the lawn before getting to the porch. If they use guest parking, maybe 8 feet in the rain...and it's all sidewalk.
  2. Meh, maybe there's a little privacy thing. It's part of our space.
  3. Our kids play back there. They're good kids, but they're kids. Sometimes they do stuff like...throw rocks. Believe me, it'll be bad enough if they damage our car. Oy.
Anyway, when we moved here, it was no problem because there was a tree in the middle of the guest parking and people seemed to "see" the parking lot. But the tree was old and decrepit and dangerous so it went the way of old, dangerous trees. And now...no one can SEE the parking.
We have put lights all around the lot to define it. Nope.
I finally bought (and this is lovely, let me tell you </sarcasm>) orange safety cones to put in the turn in for our personal driveway. THAT works. They see the cones, they park where they're supposed to. Or maybe, they just can't park where they want to.
Yesterday, we put in 8 bushes which I'm hoping, as they grow, will create a natural "wall" that will indicate, "the space beyond this is different, and not part of where the public - you - should go."
Eventually, we plan to pull out the nasty, torn up macadam that is there and put down a nice brick parking lot. But that is a big project and it is far down our priority list. I guess we'll stick with the orange cones for now. Blech.

Hey, the cones work. Use them with glee. Better than a sawhorse with 'KEEP OUT'. We have people park on the patio. RIght next to the chairs. Does this REALLY look like a place for your CAR? Why, yes, it does because that way I can walk right in the door. To hell with anyone who would like to enjoy just SITTING there.
Yikes.
I do tell them to move their cars and they all say, 'When we go out for dinner,' which could mean the other guests are struggling to get past the car with luggage OR that they will try to squeeze in alongside. No dice. Move it now.

Tell me about it we have them park sideways accross 4 spaces on a regular basis when they ring the bell I have to go out and check they have parked properly!

I would have to see it to get the gist, but I do know the "shortest path of resistence" applies to people in cars. They will park on the lawn to be nearer what they 'think' is the best way in. Guets parking is a enigma to me, I can't understand it, where our sign says guest parking they will park down the street, where it says parking in rear they will have no idea how to get to the rear so park out front and complain about it.
All I can say is be bold, use cones, a wooden work horse out there or anything you need to, round em up crack that whip! But in the end laugh as no one thinks like we do, ahem, common sense. We try to make it easier for them.
smileystooges.gif

I would have to see it to get the gist, but I do know the "shortest path of resistence" applies to people in cars. They will park on the lawn to be nearer what they 'think' is the best way in. Guets parking is a enigma to me, I can't understand it, where our sign says guest parking they will park down the street, where it says parking in rear they will have no idea how to get to the rear so park out front and complain about it.
All I can say is be bold, use cones, a wooden work horse out there or anything you need to, round em up crack that whip! But in the end laugh as no one thinks like we do, ahem, common sense. We try to make it easier for them.
smileystooges.gif
I had the perfect 'guest moment' when spouse and I pulled in at a B&B. He parked across what looked like 2 spaces. I suggested he move the car over to take one space. He looked around and said, 'I think we're the only ones here.'

smileystooges.gif
I had the perfect 'guest moment' when spouse and I pulled in at a B&B. He parked across what looked like 2 spaces. I suggested he move the car over to take one space. He looked around and said, 'I think we're the only ones here.'
'I think we're the only ones here.'
ROTFLMBO

smileystooges.gif
Alibi Ike said:
He looked around and said, 'I think we're the only ones here.'
I remember a similar silly comment one weekend when we seemed to have mostly guests from our own state. The guest said something to that effect, so you only get people from around here. There is just no way to explain to people, but no, we don't, in fact we don't get people from around here, usually.
Or the guest who turned off all the lights, bless her heart, because they were the only ones here. Until the other rooms CHECKED IN!

smileystooges.gif
Alibi Ike said:
I remember a similar silly comment one weekend when we seemed to have mostly guests from our own state. The guest said something to that effect, so you only get people from around here. There is just no way to explain to people, but no, we don't, in fact we don't get people from around here, usually.
Or the guest who turned off all the lights, bless her heart, because they were the only ones here. Until the other rooms CHECKED IN!
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Most guests really think they can tell by the plates where the other guests are from. And most of the time the cars are rentals.

smileystooges.gif
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Most guests really think they can tell by the plates where the other guests are from. And most of the time the cars are rentals.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
For whatever reason 2/3 of the rental plates here say Florida or New York. They are never a southern state on the rental plate. Maybe someone here knows why? I always feel bad for our British guests who indelibly get the finger quite a bit when touring small town america in New York or Florida plates.

I have seen various places with signs that say, "Guest Parking" and "Owner/Private Parking". I don't have a really good picture, but the cutest guest parking spaces that I have seen were at a forum inn-mates B&B - little bird houses at each spot. Sweet!

smileystooges.gif
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
For whatever reason 2/3 of the rental plates here say Florida or New York. They are never a southern state on the rental plate. Maybe someone here knows why? I always feel bad for our British guests who indelibly get the finger quite a bit when touring small town america in New York or Florida plates.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
My theory on the plates? Your guests rent them after they have been returned to the airport by someone who drove from NY or FL. You know what's popular around here? VA, CA and TN!

What baffles me is (and I am sure I have said this before) they say can I leave my bag? (we get a lot come on the train so don't want to drag it round the conference with them on the last day) we are happy to do so. They say so ill keep my key to get in later then. Funnily enough no cos the next person will need it when they check in. Oh your busy tonight? how will i get in? Ring the bell like you did when you arrived! Dufus!

I saw this today and thought about our discussions on guests parking, and how they can't work it out. Sometimes not even parking on the paved lot but on the lawn...
318043_10150961744011178_1601173897_n.jpg

med_TG%202.JPG
We're lucky on that one. We're off a side street to the highway. The parking is in front of the B&B on a gravel strip that is separted from the lawn by a steel fence. Plenty of room for all the cars even if we're full up. No neighbor complaints. It would be awkward for them to park 'sideways', all they have to do is pull in. You have to walk from the parking to the B&B via a gate and a walkway. The cars stay in the parking area. We too, park in front, just way down at the end if we have guests coming. The potential for adequate and easy parking was an important part of the decision to buy this place.

Back