Active vacations are good for the heart

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
Excerpt from the article:
"In the Framingham Heart Study, a multi-generational study of cardiovascular disease, women who took infrequent vacations (once every six years) were found to have a 50% higher incidence of heart disease than those who took at least two vacations annually. And among men, a 2000 study published in the American Psychosomatic Society journal found infrequent vacationers had a 20% greater risk of dying from any cause and a 50% greater chance of dying from a heart attack when compared with those who vacationed regularly."
http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=1769421
I just posted the link on my facebook page and will possibly blog about this. People see vacations as being luxuries and are cutting their vacay budgets. Gotta remind them how essential a little getaway is to physical and mental well-being.

Very interesting. If you don't mind, I'll be blogging about that as well.

In our previous lives hubs was the non-vacationing half of the duo. I used every last hour of my vacation time and he'd end the year with 3 weeks left over. When we got married our work friends joked that hubs would have to go on the honeymoon by himself because I'd be out of vacation days by the time we got married!
We were in the pool at our hotel in Jamaica (for our daughter's wedding...3 nights we were there) and a couple from the UK told hubs he was stupid to not take his vacation time (I cheered from the other end of the pool) and then they called us 'rich Americans' because we could afford the airfare for a 3 night vacation. Truth be told, we could barely afford the hotel ROOM which is why we only stayed the 3 nights, the airfare was cheap in comparison.
We do go away with friends every year now, but it's a quick weekend, not a 'real' vacation.

[COLOR= rgb(102, 102, 102)]"[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]That's when I decided to follow [/COLOR]Dr. Leo Marvin's advice" from What About Bob and "take a vacation - from my problems!" (from my blog today)
[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(102, 102, 102)][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Another great reason to take a vacation. [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(102, 102, 102)][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]When y'all get the blog articles up there can I borrow one or two? (with links and credit given to YOU of course) LINK LOVE BAYYYYYYYYBEEEE[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(102, 102, 102)][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Sorry too late, have I mentioned I have Innkeepers ADD? I already added the info - it melded right into the What About Bob article, whowouldathunkit?[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Anyone want to swap blog links tho, let me know. :)

In our previous lives hubs was the non-vacationing half of the duo. I used every last hour of my vacation time and he'd end the year with 3 weeks left over. When we got married our work friends joked that hubs would have to go on the honeymoon by himself because I'd be out of vacation days by the time we got married!
We were in the pool at our hotel in Jamaica (for our daughter's wedding...3 nights we were there) and a couple from the UK told hubs he was stupid to not take his vacation time (I cheered from the other end of the pool) and then they called us 'rich Americans' because we could afford the airfare for a 3 night vacation. Truth be told, we could barely afford the hotel ROOM which is why we only stayed the 3 nights, the airfare was cheap in comparison.
We do go away with friends every year now, but it's a quick weekend, not a 'real' vacation..
Quick vacations are OK. Hubby and I recently took a mid-week Escape at an Inn and Spa two towns over from us. We were gone just overnight but we came back relaxed and rejuvenated and ready to face guests. We checked in at 3 PM, had massages scheduled for 3:15. Took a little rest, hubby read on the deck because he had had a deep tissue massage, I had a Swedish massage so I went to sleep. Then we went out for drinks and dinner. They didn't have WIFI so the laptop was left at home. The next morning it was Continental breakfast but that was OK. The weather was being good (no rain) so we took a leisurely drive along the shore and then a boat ride amongest the off shore islands.
We have now told the kids for any special occassions we would like gift certificates to this place.

We do go away with friends every year now, but it's a quick weekend, not a 'real' vacation..
Quick vacations are OK. Hubby and I recently took a mid-week Escape at an Inn and Spa two towns over from us. We were gone just overnight but we came back relaxed and rejuvenated and ready to face guests. We checked in at 3 PM, had massages scheduled for 3:15. Took a little rest, hubby read on the deck because he had had a deep tissue massage, I had a Swedish massage so I went to sleep. Then we went out for drinks and dinner. They didn't have WIFI so the laptop was left at home. The next morning it was Continental breakfast but that was OK. The weather was being good (no rain) so we took a leisurely drive along the shore and then a boat ride amongest the off shore islands.
We have now told the kids for any special occassions we would like gift certificates to this place.
I need at least two days to decompress. Especially if I have to drive any distance to get to my destination. I hope you didn't have to check guests out, go for your overnight and then come back the next day to check guests in? That really is no vacation to me at all :)

I need at least two days to decompress. Especially if I have to drive any distance to get to my destination. I hope you didn't have to check guests out, go for your overnight and then come back the next day to check guests in? That really is no vacation to me at all :)
No. We had closed for three days, Sun, Mon. Tues. That gave us two whole days without guests leaving or arriving. Went to the Spa on Mon, came back Tues and guests did not arrive until Wed. Duh, after almost 10 years in business we are now realizing that the minimum time to take off to be able to decompress is 3 days. This weekend we are closed Fri Sat & Sun. We were supposed to have out of state friends come but they can't. Are we putting those days back in inventory? NOT!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of healthy living...Have you seen the Evian breakdancing babies? click here
and then unhealthy living in the snuggy click here.
I love the breakdancing babies. It is an amazing piece of work. I heard that the only part of the actual babies they used were their heads. The rest is all computer-generated.
The thing I can't understand about the Snuggie is why it became so successful while its competitor the Slanket; an identical product did not. I think it has to do with the name not sounding as comfortable. I heard college kids would actually go bar hopping wearing the Snuggie. We did some strange things in college, but never anything like that.

I'm halfway to my heart attack.
omg_smile.gif

Samster said:
That's why I can't understand all the one-nighters we get. They arrive at 3p.m., look around for an hour then go to dinner, then to bed, have breakfast and leave. Vacation???

I heard the airheads on the news the other day telling people not to go out to restaurants for dinner - to eat at home. Great! Just what the restaurant industry needs. Don't these idiots realize that every time they open their mouths they hurt another segment of the "used to be" employed? They have no clue because all they do is open their mouths and read what some guru wrote and all of them are getting paid no matter what.

Back