ADA-Service Dogs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Service animals are not a problem. The problem are the PITAs who cannot stand to be without their stupid dog and KNOW we have no rights in this matter. All they have to do is SAY it is a service animal.
We have discussed this in the past. Even if YOU or a member of your in-house family will hav ea reaction that will create illness, you cannot refuse the. THAT is what stinks in my not very humble opinion! I guess it also does not matter if another guest will have a problem that will cost you revenue (and perhaps a law suit since they booked because you did not have pets or allow them)..... We are in the wringer and at the mercy of the I GET WHAT I WANT TYRANTS.

I had service animals (dogs) stay at my place about 5 times. no problem whatsoever. i worried about all the issues you mentioned. we did not take pets. but they were impeccably groomed, silent and did no mess of any kind in the house. as has been said, they are amazing and, if they are true service animals, you will have no problem.
four of them i knew about in advance. the 5th was a complete surprise and the guests were hostile at checkin, waving a paper in front of me that they had a service dog and i had to take them. it would have been courteous and proper to tell me ahead of time.
but anyway ... i wondered if it was a true service animal until i watched it interact with the owner. it was a man who wore it on his person in like a baby carrier all the time. the man wore white knee high socks and sandal slippers and had serious issues communicating with people. one morning he all but broke the door down trying to get out of the room, pulled off the doorknob from inside and could not put the doorknob back on.
i was going to go in through a window (ground floor room thankfully) to open the door from inside. i stood at one of the windows trying to calm him down, telling him i would remove the huge screen so he could just step out. his wife was already over the edge dealing with whatever was going on in his mind.
in any case, he pounded and yelled and yanked on the door. shouted and stamped his feet. ran to the window and tried to keep me out! she sat in a chair and rocked. i was at the window trying to calm him down. my son was on the other side of the room door, taking off the hardware to open the door, using tools and making a lot of racket.
the little dog in his/her carrier was completely silent and unphased by the whole thing..
I'm sorry, gonna sway from the service dog topic here.
This was just way too much to have to deal with. That person has no business traveling about and the person with him/her is the person that should be responsible to handle the situation instead they blocked it out. And what about the service dog, brought I presume to calm him/her down? It was in it's carrier, not doing its job - not it's fault but that is the problem.
I do not mind and would not have a problem with a service dog serving a blind person and other physically challenging needs; but when it is emotional need it may be even too great of a problem for a pet... as your example shows. And where is the line to be drawn, how far are we as business owners supose bend when it affects other guests that paid for a quiet, peaceful stay?

How many rooms do you have? I know that we are exempt from the act because we are considered a residence and not a commercial establishment. I think in the US you can call 800-514-0301 with questions about the ADA and get direct answers on compliance issues.
I've had a guests ask me about ADA compliance. I have to remind them that the first A, stopped at the border..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
How many rooms do you have? I know that we are exempt from the act because we are considered a residence and not a commercial establishment. I think in the US you can call 800-514-0301 with questions about the ADA and get direct answers on compliance issues.
I've had a guests ask me about ADA compliance. I have to remind them that the first A, stopped at the border.
Called ADA. We're screwed. We have to comply.
Well, then treat them well. These dogs are usually extremely well behaved. And if you are like me, enjoy taking antihistimines for the duration of their stay and a day or two afterward. I find that taking the 24 hour kind before bed works best, because it beats any drowsy feelings you may have by being during your sleep period in any case.
I think there is an exception if you are considered residential and 5 rooms and under, but otherwise you are stuck.
My favourite sign at a local store says "No Aminals Except Service Dogs" because if the blind man can't read the sign, the service dog ain't going to be helping him read it.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, then treat them well. These dogs are usually extremely well behaved. And if you are like me, enjoy taking antihistimines for the duration of their stay and a day or two afterward. I find that taking the 24 hour kind before bed works best, because it beats any drowsy feelings you may have by being during your sleep period in any case.
I think there is an exception if you are considered residential and 5 rooms and under, but otherwise you are stuck.
My favourite sign at a local store says "No Aminals Except Service Dogs" because if the blind man can't read the sign, the service dog ain't going to be helping him read it.
The ADA Guidelines changed in 2011. There is NO EXCEPTION.
[/quote]
The guidelines did change in 2011 but it still says if you are owner occupied and 5 rooms or less you are exempt from ADA. Not sure what that really means with service animals...it is quite cloudy if you ask me.
I would love to see a well trained service animal but so far the people trying to stay with me have all been scammers. I didn't know any better at the time. I was just taken aback by these people showing up with out even mentioning it in advance. I took them and their dog which made a mess of hair in the bed and all over the room. I think something should be done about this on a national level to curtail people taking advantage of others.

[/QUOTE]
[/quote]
The guidelines did change in 2011 but it still says if you are owner occupied and 5 rooms or less you are exempt from ADA. Not sure what that really means with service animals...it is quite cloudy if you ask me.
I would love to see a well trained service animal but so far the people trying to stay with me have all been scammers. I didn't know any better at the time. I was just taken aback by these people showing up with out even mentioning it in advance. I took them and their dog which made a mess of hair in the bed and all over the room. I think something should be done about this on a national level to curtail people taking advantage of others.
[/quote] I didn't see that exemption anywhere in the regs. Can you cite that? I spoke with the ADA and described our B&B (2 rooms) we still have to comply.

I had service animals (dogs) stay at my place about 5 times. no problem whatsoever. i worried about all the issues you mentioned. we did not take pets. but they were impeccably groomed, silent and did no mess of any kind in the house. as has been said, they are amazing and, if they are true service animals, you will have no problem.
four of them i knew about in advance. the 5th was a complete surprise and the guests were hostile at checkin, waving a paper in front of me that they had a service dog and i had to take them. it would have been courteous and proper to tell me ahead of time.
but anyway ... i wondered if it was a true service animal until i watched it interact with the owner. it was a man who wore it on his person in like a baby carrier all the time. the man wore white knee high socks and sandal slippers and had serious issues communicating with people. one morning he all but broke the door down trying to get out of the room, pulled off the doorknob from inside and could not put the doorknob back on.
i was going to go in through a window (ground floor room thankfully) to open the door from inside. i stood at one of the windows trying to calm him down, telling him i would remove the huge screen so he could just step out. his wife was already over the edge dealing with whatever was going on in his mind.
in any case, he pounded and yelled and yanked on the door. shouted and stamped his feet. ran to the window and tried to keep me out! she sat in a chair and rocked. i was at the window trying to calm him down. my son was on the other side of the room door, taking off the hardware to open the door, using tools and making a lot of racket.
the little dog in his/her carrier was completely silent and unphased by the whole thing..
I'm sorry, gonna sway from the service dog topic here.
This was just way too much to have to deal with. That person has no business traveling about and the person with him/her is the person that should be responsible to handle the situation instead they blocked it out. And what about the service dog, brought I presume to calm him/her down? It was in it's carrier, not doing its job - not it's fault but that is the problem.
I do not mind and would not have a problem with a service dog serving a blind person and other physically challenging needs; but when it is emotional need it may be even too great of a problem for a pet... as your example shows. And where is the line to be drawn, how far are we as business owners supose bend when it affects other guests that paid for a quiet, peaceful stay?
copperhead said:
And what about the service dog, brought I presume to calm him/her down? It was in it's carrier, not doing its job - not it's fault but that is the problem.
I just want to clarify. When I say carrier, I mean the man wore like a baby snugglie carrier thing strapped to his body and wore the dog in that carrier against his chest ... he stroked the dog a lot. So the dog was doing his/her job. I suppose it helped calm the man, but all I could think of was, poor dog!
Luckily, the lock in panic happened at breakfast time so guests weren't awakened by the panic attack which I believe this was. MAJOR panic attack.

The guests probably liked what you had to offer and that's why they wanted to stay with you.
I have a friend who has an insulin pump and is a very brittle diabetic. She has a service dog who alerts her when her blood sugar is low. It's an amazing thing! But, she's a young woman in her 30's who has had to adjust her life dramatically to accommodate the necessity of having a service animal with her 24/7. She can't go anywhere without the dog.
Just sayin' to think about the other side of the coin on this one....

I've had a guests ask me about ADA compliance. I have to remind them that the first A, stopped at the border..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I've had a guests ask me about ADA compliance. I have to remind them that the first A, stopped at the border.
Eric Arthur Blair said:

[/QUOTE]
[/quote]
[/quote] I didn't see that exemption anywhere in the regs. Can you cite that? I spoke with the ADA and described our B&B (2 rooms) we still have to comply.

[/QUOTE]
Proud Texan said:
[/quote]
Try to go to this site http://www.ada.gov/statute.html Go to section 301 and item number 7 then letter A. It doesn't say anything about service animals but does say it is exempt from ADA compliance so we don't have to alter the building for wheel chair access etc. I would think that service animals would fall under that category. I called the state bed and breakfast association and they told me I was exempt from taking the animals as well. When I called the toll free ADA number they did tell me I didn't have to take the animals but I can't get anything in writing from anyone. I wish they would make it easier for bed and breakfasts with 5 rooms or less to deal with this issue. It would be nice to get something in writing.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
[/quote]

[/QUOTE]
Proud Texan said:
[/quote]
Try to go to this site http://www.ada.gov/statute.html Go to section 301 and item number 7 then letter A. It doesn't say anything about service animals but does say it is exempt from ADA compliance so we don't have to alter the building for wheel chair access etc. I would think that service animals would fall under that category. I called the state bed and breakfast association and they told me I was exempt from taking the animals as well. When I called the toll free ADA number they did tell me I didn't have to take the animals but I can't get anything in writing from anyone. I wish they would make it easier for bed and breakfasts with 5 rooms or less to deal with this issue. It would be nice to get something in writing.

[/QUOTE]
To my understanding the exemption is only for things such as wheelchair ramps etc. We are NOT exempt from accepting the service animals. And I would not want to go to the expense of the legal fees to fight any of this.
RIki

Proud Texan -
Service animals are better house guests than most people. They go through thousands of hours of training to ignore and endure unpleasant conditions and focus solely on their disabled handler.
I am flabbergasted by your complete insensitivity towards your disabled guest. I hope you provided the name of your B&B so I can be sure I don't visit.
Let me restate what you have said, with a minor substitution to illustrate how offensive and distasteful your post was. "we are a 'no blacks' facility. The reasons are: (1) this is an area where former KKK members may be lurking and we are concerned for the safety (2) many of our guests are allergic to their hair products and may be uncomfortable at their presence and (3) I am concerned about cleaning up after them when they leave. What if their hair sheds on my floor? What if they steal stuff? .... Besides, other places in town are ok with blacks, so why can't they just go there?' completely absurd... Your reasons make you sound paranoid and petty, not traits one wants in a B&B host.
I am a B&B owner and welcome service animals because I do not discrimate against people with disabilities.

Proud Texan -
Service animals are better house guests than most people. They go through thousands of hours of training to ignore and endure unpleasant conditions and focus solely on their disabled handler.
I am flabbergasted by your complete insensitivity towards your disabled guest. I hope you provided the name of your B&B so I can be sure I don't visit.
Let me restate what you have said, with a minor substitution to illustrate how offensive and distasteful your post was. "we are a 'no blacks' facility. The reasons are: (1) this is an area where former KKK members may be lurking and we are concerned for the safety (2) many of our guests are allergic to their hair products and may be uncomfortable at their presence and (3) I am concerned about cleaning up after them when they leave. What if their hair sheds on my floor? What if they steal stuff? .... Besides, other places in town are ok with blacks, so why can't they just go there?' completely absurd... Your reasons make you sound paranoid and petty, not traits one wants in a B&B host.
I am a B&B owner and welcome service animals because I do not discrimate against people with disabilities..
Behaviour of a true service animal is never a problem - and none of the owners we have ever encountered have ever asked us to pick up poo - I would however make a point of saying this is where it goes ie if people don't know what to do this can then become a problem.
The way to think about the dog is like a piece of equipment like a breathing machine for sleep apnoea that they can't do without.
What sours the barrel for me is people trying to pass off dogs as service animals when they aren't - it means if they misbehave then it looks like all service animals are like that which they aren't. - I would say however we do, do an extra deep clean after the very rare times we have had a dog stay and have not had a problem with allergies.

Proud Texan -
I am a B&B owner and welcome service animals because I do not discrimate against people with disabilities..
It is considered rude to necropost... to post a reply to a long dead thread. In this case, over 2 years old and long dead. If you want to talk about the subject, you are welcome to start a new thread. Introducing yourself before going into a tirade would have also been a nice courtesy.
In any case, welcome. But please introduce yourself and please don't post on dead threads, start a new one.

Proud Texan -
and just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Proud Texan -
and just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
That's why I pipe in every time someone new doesn't look at the posting dates. Who needs to bring up all this old stuff again? Start a new thread if you are new here please.

Proud Texan -
panda1 said:
Proud Texan -
I am a B&B owner and welcome service animals because I do not discrimate against people with disabilities.
Panda, pull in your claws. Your example is worse than ridiculous. And I have had "service animals" that are nothing more than pets that barely touch the floor with their feet - just long enough to pee on BOTH of my bathroom rugs. I would have NO problem with a real Service Animal (unless it was a miniature horse). Before you go condemning anyone here, you should spend some time getting to know who they are and WHERE they are. PT really does have wild critters that would love the opportunity to experience a delicacy for lunch or dinner. Try again - civility reigns here in case you were unaware since you barged in shooting off. We DO give second chances - not to speak for all, I will give you a second chance.

Back