Add-On or Package

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Well, as some of you know, I made home made macarons. Until now, either we have given a few away as a special treat or we have sold them as part of a package that includes flowers or more. But of course, I have been wondering if I should actually sell them as a stand-alone add-on instead of just part of a package.
Normally they sell for $1.50 each in the stores, for the commercially made. But we have only put them together with flowers or roses. The current packages are a colourful bouquet plus half a dozen for $30 or $39 with red roses. The bigger package adds a bottle of sparkling wine and an extra half dozen for $65 or $73 with red roses.
Do you think that maybe I should offer them as a stand-alone add-on? In that case, do I sell them each or in pairs or in half dozens (assorted pairs). Or does someone else have any other ideas. (I just don't want to specify which flavours, since it's based on what we have in stock.)
Opinions?

Can you offer them for sale somewhere in the inn? I guess I'm having a hard time thinking I would pay for cookies as an add on. Definitely up the price on a pkg by adding them in there.
Maybe even make them exclusive to a pkg instead of having them as an add on. 'Available only with...our world famous macarons!'

We haven't really promoted them here. But a few people have mentioned them online and I had a guest recently book the package because they wanted the macarons. I'm just wondering if I would sell more than way, alone. And maybe offer them cheaper if pre-ordered or something.

Can you offer them for sale somewhere in the inn? I guess I'm having a hard time thinking I would pay for cookies as an add on. Definitely up the price on a pkg by adding them in there.
Maybe even make them exclusive to a pkg instead of having them as an add on. 'Available only with...our world famous macarons!'.
I guess that's my point. At the moment they are only available as part of a package. But unlike flowers or wine, I don't have to go out and get them, they are here and ready in the freezer. And people who like macarons know the prices are from $1.50 and up anywhere else in twon.
I'm just wondering if maybe putting them as a stand-alone would make them sell. Or should I actually put up a sign and offer them in house. We don't really do much in-house marketing of things like that.

Maybe even make them exclusive to a pkg instead of having them as an add on. 'Available only with...our world famous macarons!'.
I guess that's my point. At the moment they are only available as part of a package. But unlike flowers or wine, I don't have to go out and get them, they are here and ready in the freezer. And people who like macarons know the prices are from $1.50 and up anywhere else in twon.
I'm just wondering if maybe putting them as a stand-alone would make them sell. Or should I actually put up a sign and offer them in house. We don't really do much in-house marketing of things like that.
Seems kind of tacky to charge the guest for a cookie. But if you serve them to your guests and someone really likes them, maybe you could have packages of say half dozen, or a dozen, made up in a nicely packaged and decorated box with bow etc and sell them that way. Maybe a cute sign saying Macaroons for sale. with a nicely decorated box of them. Might make a nice take away gift for someone.
Google for some ideas:
http://macaroncafe.com/ship-nationwide/medium-luxury-gift-box-delivery.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/butteravenue/524736354
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/9kCJuKuq3NuAI6MJ9KF_eA?select=kyxh0GLY4FqbsLEVnMh36g#kyxh0GLY4FqbsLEVnMh36g
http://www.arayachocolate.com/products/Small-Macaroon-Gift-Box.html

I agree with Catlady about charging a customer for a cookie. Do you limit the amount of them they can eat while staying (ie: they could eat a dozen while there vs. buying a dozen)?
I would recommend selling them as a separate item. If they purchase in advance, you can have them ready to take home when they come. If they want them any other time of the year when they aren't staying, would you be willing to ship them? (I sent someone a dozen of my Oatmeal Creme Pies overnight - because they're the best the day after I make them - and it cost me $25 in shipping!!!)

If you don't serve these to your guests daily, then I would package them up for sale and see how many you sell. You might want to do like a lot of specialty stores do and cut up 1 or two in small pieces so they can sample and see if they like them.
I would offer them only for sale, whether they are part of an add-on package or buy by the bag on a little display. That way they are more special.

Seems kind of tacky to charge the guest for a cookie. But if you serve them to your guests and someone really likes them, maybe you could have packages of say half dozen, or a dozen, made up in a nicely packaged and decorated box with bow etc and sell them that way. Maybe a cute sign saying Macaroons for sale. with a nicely decorated box of them. Might make a nice take away gift for someone.
Google for some ideas:
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/9kCJuKuq3NuAI6MJ9KF_eA?select=kyxh0GLY4FqbsLEVnMh36g#kyxh0GLY4FqbsLEVnMh36g
We make mini ones that we sometimes put up for breakfast, but not the full size or assortment. It's one of these "French" treats and so far we have only offered them up as part of the package. For example, we offered the mini from time to time as a treat in coffee & anis flavour. But when guests order them as part of a package they are 6 per tray. For the 6 you might get three different kinds in pairs. If they order 12, they get six different kinds in pairs. (We often slip an extra or two on the house.) We don't really market them other than a treat you can get here, because they really are 100% homemade. (And they are very hard to make.)
Haven't been able to find containers to actually be able to ship them. I just wondered if maybe I should put an add-on that specifically offers just 6 or 12 of the macaron as an in-room treat that they can add, rather than as a package which has flowers or wine, both of which I have to go out and get.
Someone suggesting putting one in the room for guests to try and that they can order them in 6 or 12. I'm not sure about it, though. That's why I'm asking.

I agree with Catlady about charging a customer for a cookie. Do you limit the amount of them they can eat while staying (ie: they could eat a dozen while there vs. buying a dozen)?
I would recommend selling them as a separate item. If they purchase in advance, you can have them ready to take home when they come. If they want them any other time of the year when they aren't staying, would you be willing to ship them? (I sent someone a dozen of my Oatmeal Creme Pies overnight - because they're the best the day after I make them - and it cost me $25 in shipping!!!).
Macaron take several days to make. You have to age the egg whites before you start. Once you make the shells and fill them, they have to sit for 24 hours before you can consume them.
Oh and there are 32 steps to making just the shells, not to mention having to open the oven door every 2 minutes while they bake so that they don't get too humid. That's why they are so spectacular.

I would recommend selling them as a separate item. If they purchase in advance, you can have them ready to take home when they come. If they want them any other time of the year when they aren't staying, would you be willing to ship them? (I sent someone a dozen of my Oatmeal Creme Pies overnight - because they're the best the day after I make them - and it cost me $25 in shipping!!!).
Macaron take several days to make. You have to age the egg whites before you start. Once you make the shells and fill them, they have to sit for 24 hours before you can consume them.
Oh and there are 32 steps to making just the shells, not to mention having to open the oven door every 2 minutes while they bake so that they don't get too humid. That's why they are so spectacular.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
With all that labor it takes to make them, can you really make enough profit to make it worth all your time and energy?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
With all that labor it takes to make them, can you really make enough profit to make it worth all your time and energy?
It's not really a big profit centre, but it is something that makes me different than all the other 100s of places to stay in the city.
That said, I make large batches (about 100 or so at one time) and they are kept frozen and ready. They need about an hour to defrost. But I would like to sell more so that I can rotate them more.
And people do seem to love them. They have even written about them in their online reviews.

Google for some ideas:
We make mini ones that we sometimes put up for breakfast, but not the full size or assortment. It's one of these "French" treats and so far we have only offered them up as part of the package. For example, we offered the mini from time to time as a treat in coffee & anis flavour. But when guests order them as part of a package they are 6 per tray. For the 6 you might get three different kinds in pairs. If they order 12, they get six different kinds in pairs. (We often slip an extra or two on the house.) We don't really market them other than a treat you can get here, because they really are 100% homemade. (And they are very hard to make.)
Haven't been able to find containers to actually be able to ship them. I just wondered if maybe I should put an add-on that specifically offers just 6 or 12 of the macaron as an in-room treat that they can add, rather than as a package which has flowers or wine, both of which I have to go out and get.
Someone suggesting putting one in the room for guests to try and that they can order them in 6 or 12. I'm not sure about it, though. That's why I'm asking.
Google for containers.did you see the links i posted? There are tons of packaging options available. you do not have to have something for shipping if you are sellingjuat to your guests. Sellingby order puts you into a new business category I would think. there are lots on line for sale already.

Google for some ideas:
Google for containers.did you see the links i posted? There are tons of packaging options available. you do not have to have something for shipping if you are sellingjuat to your guests. Sellingby order puts you into a new business category I would think. there are lots on line for sale already.
I've tried finding around here. Nothing really great. But more interested in selling to guest to enjoy while here (or take home). I have found a few different packages that would work with tissue paper.
What do you think of the idea of putting one in the room for the guest to enjoy with a sign that says the are available in packages of multiples of 6 to enjoy here or to take home? Do you think I should offer them as a pre-order online for a cheaper price than in the room? I'm just so torn on this.

Google for some ideas:
I've tried finding around here. Nothing really great. But more interested in selling to guest to enjoy while here (or take home). I have found a few different packages that would work with tissue paper.
What do you think of the idea of putting one in the room for the guest to enjoy with a sign that says the are available in packages of multiples of 6 to enjoy here or to take home? Do you think I should offer them as a pre-order online for a cheaper price than in the room? I'm just so torn on this.
Heres a quick idea. I just grabbed an image on line. I know it is a no no..but just as an example for you.
sign.jpg

I would not charge for the cookies. We have tried things like this in the past and its not worth it. That said. We have found that by offering things like cookies, brownies, cakes, pies ext.......we are making our profit off of those with word of mouth and repeat customers. People like free! I like that they are telling people and returning. So I am making much more than $1.50 per cookie. We have built a whole cabin just for all of the free drinks and snacks. So, yes I am making big profit off of these goodies. The guests just don't realize it. Its how you look at the big picture. If you have them in a package just charge for the package. You might have someone that might get mad because you charge for a cookie. I can read it now on TA "Nice place, but can you believe they charge extra just to have a cookie?"

Back