adding a bathroom and a fireplace

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Detached bath is still the same thing as shared, people going in and out of their rooms, opening and closing doors at all hours. That is me, when I stay at a place with a shared hall bath or detached I hear the others going in and out and doors closing, locks turning etc..
Joey Bloggs said:
Detached bath is still the same thing as shared, people going in and out of their rooms, opening and closing doors at all hours. That is me, when I stay at a place with a shared hall bath or detached I hear the others going in and out and doors closing, locks turning etc.
yep! Me too! I don't like that either! "People .... just stay in your rooms already!!!" wouldn't that be nice!
I have found that older people do tend to book the room with ensuite bath because they know they will be up several times a night!
Oh and the new bath ensuite will be so much better for the older folk as there won't be any "stepping" into the tub... and no steps to go down at night. The current room with the 'ensuite' bath has two steps you step down into the bathroom (it was made out of attic space).
Sunshine said:
yep! Me too! I don't like that either! "People .... just stay in your rooms already!!!" wouldn't that be nice!
Last night...one couple must have gone in and out of their room 10 times in 5 minutes. What the hell for? Open door, close door, open door, close door. And then one of them got locked out so they had to knock on the door for the other one to let them in. Every door slam jarred me.
One more open door, close door and I was going out there to ask if they needed help with something. Good grief leave the door OPEN for the amount of time they were gone and no other rooms anywhere near them.

Detached bath is still the same thing as shared, people going in and out of their rooms, opening and closing doors at all hours. That is me, when I stay at a place with a shared hall bath or detached I hear the others going in and out and doors closing, locks turning etc..
Joey Bloggs said:
Detached bath is still the same thing as shared, people going in and out of their rooms, opening and closing doors at all hours. That is me, when I stay at a place with a shared hall bath or detached I hear the others going in and out and doors closing, locks turning etc.
I have found that older people do tend to book the room with ensuite bath because they know they will be up several times a night!
Oh and the new bath ensuite will be so much better for the older folk as there won't be any "stepping" into the tub... and no steps to go down at night. The current room with the 'ensuite' bath has two steps you step down into the bathroom (it was made out of attic space).
Install handicap height toilets - they are a blessing!!!
Also tell your DH my revenues went up 33% the year after we created the private bath.
It is only because of the configuration of this house that I really did not do the two small bathrooms - one of them would still be "down the hall". This way I can either rent it as a private bath or satisfy the bargain hunters with cheaper room. The way it is now works great for families or friends traveling together. And there is a BIG difference in prices. I will have 3 different prices once I get a queen and flat screen in the room farthest from the bathroom. It has become the preferred of the 2 now even with no TV and a full-size. The rearrangement of bed & dresser made for more FLOOR-SPACE!

I think it is the faff of it. If you get up do you pack up your change of clothes and dash across in your PJ's or dress dash across and then wash and then put your clothes back on (English people will not dash in just a robe) etc it is a palava it is just ease of use. And one chap on 3 in a bed said it and I am trying not to be vulgar he said he couldn't go for a poo as he was worried it would smell for the next person and that he couldn't relax in case someone else wanted in. I would feel that I had to rush so as not to hold up the other people and that wouldn't add to my holiday/relaxing experience.

as for shared baths, as nice as you try to make them, you can't change the fact that they are shared. you can't predict how guests will behave or what their needs will be. some of the sharers will do their business and get in and get out, others will stay in there putting on makeup and fussing with their hair and whatever, while another guest knocks and is told 'just a minute' and waits and waits just to use the toilet.
i had blow dryers and mirrors with one side magnifying in each guestroom with a chair and tabletop space, whether they had a private bathroom or not, for hair and makeup .. it helped a little.
as a guest, i went in after one man who was in there forever and his toenail clippings were all over the floor and the closed toilet seat, shaving cream and whiskers in the sink, toothpaste on the hand towel, dirty clothes in a heap on the floor. thanks a lot. i would never have left a mess like that for some other guest who i was sharing a bathroom with! ... nor for a chambermaid to encounter either.

Back