adding a bathroom and a fireplace

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Hi ya'll!
I am planning to add a bathroom in one of my guest rooms that currently has a shared bath in the hall. This will then give all my rooms private in suite baths, with only one private bath in the hall (strictly used for that one room only). We were told it will cost us between $2,000. and $5,000. to do this.
I'm also thinking of adding a fireplace with a pretty mantel and mirror over head and it matches the one in our library (except its electric) for both heat and looks (there are 5 large windows in that room and it does tend to get a bit chilly in there).
I really think this will help increase bookings. Just the past two days I have lost 4 potential reservations because of a shared bath! Even though I tried hard to sell them and help the guests see they would still get all the same amenitites!
This will then be my bigest and nicest room and I will definately raise the price to reflect it (not to mention gain back my expenses).
Do you think it would be worth it to make these changes? would it bring in the reservations? I really think it would.

yes, i do! the owner got her investment back, and then some, the first year.
speaking from experience, we added big showers to 1/2 baths in two rooms ... so they went from sink and toilet and having to share shower in the hall bathroom, to private bath (no room for tub). just in those two rooms, occupancy jumped ... also, we had a nice room with water view but no bathroom ... converted the closet and some more room space to a private bathroom (again, no room for tub) and that room occupancy jumped as well.
being able to offer 5 rooms with private baths made SUCH a difference. i did not have to 'sell' those rooms, people booked them. i was totally honest about the size of the rooms because we lost room space ... and those rooms booked up solid. a nice, bigger room with two windows, and 'private' bathroom in hall next to the room was my plague room ... people didn't want that room and i had to price it quite a bit lower to get the 'bargain hunters'.
i put those little dimplex stoves in the two biggest rooms and people LOVED them. fireplace means romance for a lot of people. they have the option to just look like fire (and they do look real) or to throw heat. the only thing missing was a crackling sound.

If I could add working fireplaces to my rooms I would definitely do it. And in this day and age everyone wants a private bath so yes, I think you'll be very happy with the upgrades if you decide to make them.

YES! YES! YESSSS!!!!! Absolutely worth it! With the increase in room rate and the increase in bookings, you will make your investment back quickly.

Oh my gosh, yes! Congratulations! Not only will that bathroom pay for itself in a matter of months, the stress that you probably had worrying about guests sharing a bath will be gone! That's worth the money right there!

ABSOLUTELY YES! You can never go wrong with adding a private bath. Adding a fireplace is also great for ambiance. Not woodburning..I would probably go with an electric one so that they could still experience the flame and romantic atmosphere without the heat during summer months. And you wouldn't have to worry about them running the air conditioner while a gas fireplace was running. :) GOod luck..go for it!

Private baths all the way...no turning back. It is 2010 guests expect a private bath or they will stay at a hotel where all the baths are private.

It took me 10 YEARS to convince DH to sign the loan papers for the private bath. ABSOLUTELY do the bathroom. Fireplace is a nice if you can (it WILL book the room and an even higher price for a room w/fireplace) but would make the bathroom a MUST and fireplace a nice. W the private bath - occupancy AND revenues went up a LOT.
With 3/w shared I would say, "I know it is a disappointment, but no streakers are allowed - there are robes in the closets in each room." Then it got to the point people had no idea what I was talking about. Streakers? That line DID get me bookings though.
I could have made the original bathroom into 2 small bathrooms but chose to keep it a very large shared. It is priced $34 less than the private bath which still gets booked first although it is offered as a guaranteed private detached for an extra $30 (I dfo not rent the 3rd room then). At shared rate the other room is up for rent.
Edited to add: I never had a worry w/shared bath then or now. It has a deadbolt lock and I have the ONLY keys.

Sunshine said:
Do you think it would be worth it to make these changes? would it bring in the reservations? I really think it would.
I think your guests answered the question very nicely for you. WIth your new website getting more callers, you're really seeing what the issues could be.

As always there will be all viewpoints on this forum. Unless you are operating a hostel you will be hard pressed to find people who want to share a bath. If the price is $45 then you would have some folks who don't mind sharing, in a recreation area or such.
Again getting back to price point, a shared bath should not be a little less than a private bath, it should be a lot less. My opinion. But I would stay at a hotel before sharing a bath. BUT...Even in a hotel if our family of four is in one room while traveling, it is too many for that bathroom, TOO MANY! Think about the times you shared a bath with your family either growing up or now? Is it fair to the guests for them to not bathe or otherwise as they normally would in fear of other guests walking in right behind them?
If you must...
In the least, having a separate toilet FROM the bathroom, solves 65% of those issues. This is how it is overseas, one reason many don't mind a shared bath as much o/s, the bathroom is a bathroom, the toilet is on it's own in another small room.
Having a sink in the room, solves another 20% of those issues.

As always there will be all viewpoints on this forum. Unless you are operating a hostel you will be hard pressed to find people who want to share a bath. If the price is $45 then you would have some folks who don't mind sharing, in a recreation area or such.
Again getting back to price point, a shared bath should not be a little less than a private bath, it should be a lot less. My opinion. But I would stay at a hotel before sharing a bath. BUT...Even in a hotel if our family of four is in one room while traveling, it is too many for that bathroom, TOO MANY! Think about the times you shared a bath with your family either growing up or now? Is it fair to the guests for them to not bathe or otherwise as they normally would in fear of other guests walking in right behind them?
If you must...
In the least, having a separate toilet FROM the bathroom, solves 65% of those issues. This is how it is overseas, one reason many don't mind a shared bath as much o/s, the bathroom is a bathroom, the toilet is on it's own in another small room.
Having a sink in the room, solves another 20% of those issues..
Interesting. I have one room with the sink in the room and a fair number of guests have asked if the bathroom is down the hall. Now I know why.
I totally do not understand the folks who want to save so much money they will put 4 women in one room. I don't mind sharing with one friend when I'm on vacation, but I STILL worry that I'll be in the shower when she needs the toilet. But to share with THREE other grown ups? No thanks. And some will push it to 5.
And not a single one of them will take 2 rooms even at a discount. They want to pay $50/each and that is IT.

I think it is probably the same in the USA as in the UK if you say private bathroom not ensuite they cannot compute this. We are trying to figure out how to widen the landing on the top floor landing so we can make the two single rooms ensuite but it will take a ton of mess and building work to do as we would have to move the hot water tank up into the loft and building work on the landing to extend it out over the stairwell (this is how our neighbour did it looks really good but he was gutting his place so a bit different) I think most people assume everywhere is insuite now adays unless you point it out to them. I had one chap who must of asked me if his bathroom was shared 3 times during my showing him to his room.

Oh my gosh, yes! Congratulations! Not only will that bathroom pay for itself in a matter of months, the stress that you probably had worrying about guests sharing a bath will be gone! That's worth the money right there!.
Banana said:
Oh my gosh, yes! Congratulations! Not only will that bathroom pay for itself in a matter of months, the stress that you probably had worrying about guests sharing a bath will be gone! That's worth the money right there!
Absolutely! Last week, it was very humid and when it gets humid the doors stick a little. Had a guest in the shower of the shared bath. Another guest goes up and tries to enter. Hmmm door doesn't open so she bangs and bangs it and (must have also body slammed it) and broke the lock to get in!!!! Luckily the one in the shower heard her and grabbed a towel!
1. The door NEVER sticks that bad
2. You can hear the shower running (if she was like 80 maybe deaf but she was in early 40 or late 30s!).
3. I wanted to tell her we charge extra for Peep shows!!! Oh my gosh!!!

Oh my gosh, yes! Congratulations! Not only will that bathroom pay for itself in a matter of months, the stress that you probably had worrying about guests sharing a bath will be gone! That's worth the money right there!.
Banana said:
Absolutely! Last week, it was very humid and when it gets humid the doors stick a little. Had a guest in the shower of the shared bath. Another guest goes up and tries to enter. Hmmm door doesn't open so she bangs and bangs it and (must have also body slammed it) and broke the lock to get in!!!! Luckily the one in the shower heard her and grabbed a towel!
2. You can hear the shower running (if she was like 80 maybe deaf but she was in early 40 or late 30s!).
Idjit...

It took me 10 YEARS to convince DH to sign the loan papers for the private bath. ABSOLUTELY do the bathroom. Fireplace is a nice if you can (it WILL book the room and an even higher price for a room w/fireplace) but would make the bathroom a MUST and fireplace a nice. W the private bath - occupancy AND revenues went up a LOT.
With 3/w shared I would say, "I know it is a disappointment, but no streakers are allowed - there are robes in the closets in each room." Then it got to the point people had no idea what I was talking about. Streakers? That line DID get me bookings though.
I could have made the original bathroom into 2 small bathrooms but chose to keep it a very large shared. It is priced $34 less than the private bath which still gets booked first although it is offered as a guaranteed private detached for an extra $30 (I dfo not rent the 3rd room then). At shared rate the other room is up for rent.
Edited to add: I never had a worry w/shared bath then or now. It has a deadbolt lock and I have the ONLY keys..
gillumhouse said:
Edited to add: I never had a worry w/shared bath then or now. It has a deadbolt lock and I have the ONLY keys.
Yep... its taken two years to convince my DH. He wants to keep everything "original and historic". Well I have been winning him over slowly (of course I point out that he doesn't use an out house anymore
wink_smile.gif
and he doesn't have to cook outside either, and we would have to get rid of the AC if we are going to keep everything original... I think the AC thing did it. He hates the heat and humidity!).
Boy I can't wait to get started but I do have to wait for my slower months! That room is pretty booked up through Oct (yes... even with the shared bath.). People love that room and it is the most requested room until they find out it is a shared bath!

Detached bath is still the same thing as shared, people going in and out of their rooms, opening and closing doors at all hours. That is me, when I stay at a place with a shared hall bath or detached I hear the others going in and out and doors closing, locks turning etc.

Wow.. 12 rooms! I don't know If I could do that many! We have 3 and its just right! Of course its just me and DH and we both also still work "real paying" jobs!
I love shopping for the "right" piece of furniture too! I'm already looking for the "right" VIctorian sink and vanity for the bathroom!

Detached bath is still the same thing as shared, people going in and out of their rooms, opening and closing doors at all hours. That is me, when I stay at a place with a shared hall bath or detached I hear the others going in and out and doors closing, locks turning etc..
Joey Bloggs said:
Detached bath is still the same thing as shared, people going in and out of their rooms, opening and closing doors at all hours. That is me, when I stay at a place with a shared hall bath or detached I hear the others going in and out and doors closing, locks turning etc.
yep! Me too! I don't like that either! "People .... just stay in your rooms already!!!" wouldn't that be nice!
I have found that older people do tend to book the room with ensuite bath because they know they will be up several times a night!
Oh and the new bath ensuite will be so much better for the older folk as there won't be any "stepping" into the tub... and no steps to go down at night. The current room with the 'ensuite' bath has two steps you step down into the bathroom (it was made out of attic space).

Banana said:
Absolutely! Last week, it was very humid and when it gets humid the doors stick a little. Had a guest in the shower of the shared bath. Another guest goes up and tries to enter. Hmmm door doesn't open so she bangs and bangs it and (must have also body slammed it) and broke the lock to get in!!!!
Solution!! IF the guests remember to use it. I put a biz card on a string tied to the hook on the back of the bathroom door. When in use, the guest is supposed to toss the card over the door as an occupied sign. I tell the guests to use the "occupied sign" so no one is startled as they are lost in thought enthroned and fall off.

Edited to add: I never had a worry w/shared bath then or now. It has a deadbolt lock and I have the ONLY keys..
gillumhouse said:
Yep... its taken two years to convince my DH. He wants to keep everything "original and historic". Well I have been winning him over slowly (of course I point out that he doesn't use an out house anymore
wink_smile.gif
and he doesn't have to cook outside either, and we would have to get rid of the AC if we are going to keep everything original... I think the AC thing did it. He hates the heat and humidity!).
Boy I can't wait to get started but I do have to wait for my slower months! That room is pretty booked up through Oct (yes... even with the shared bath.). People love that room and it is the most requested room until they find out it is a shared bath!
Tell him if he also wants original and historic he will need to put the outhouses back in and use them himself! AND the gas lights. AND the housekeeper. AND the parlor maid. Oh the list goes on.

Back