Adding a modem

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Our range expander died. Can we put a second modem on the same phone line instead of buying a new range expander? How does that work?

DSL Modem? Probably not. I don't think they can add another DSL modem on the same line. I'd go with another range expander. Otherwise you'll have two different wifi signals showing up which may get confusing. (if you did they'd have different names but using the same encryption key / pasword.

DSL Modem? Probably not. I don't think they can add another DSL modem on the same line. I'd go with another range expander. Otherwise you'll have two different wifi signals showing up which may get confusing. (if you did they'd have different names but using the same encryption key / pasword..
So the signals might get confused? Overlap and compete? Could we just encrypt one and leave the other open? Just trying to figure out if we could get away with not buying something!

we have two lines (one has the fax and Card machine on) and the other phone we had to but a modem on each to get enough range for our wifi. it seems to work fine.

DSL Modem? Probably not. I don't think they can add another DSL modem on the same line. I'd go with another range expander. Otherwise you'll have two different wifi signals showing up which may get confusing. (if you did they'd have different names but using the same encryption key / pasword..
So the signals might get confused? Overlap and compete? Could we just encrypt one and leave the other open? Just trying to figure out if we could get away with not buying something!
No the signals wond't get confused, the people would LOL
If your current wifi is not ecncrypted then you could add a second one that is not encrupted ... but you'd need a second DSL modem and a second wifi router.... so it sounds like you'd have to buy something anyway. Unless you have extras of these sitting around collecting dust.

If your current wifi is not ecncrypted then you could add a second one that is not encrupted ... but you'd need a second DSL modem and a second wifi router.... so it sounds like you'd have to buy something anyway. Unless you have extras of these sitting around collecting dust.
We had the second modem, not the router. The router died. But, the 2 modems we have don't have the correct input ports on them. Sooo, we ended up just buying the router and will look at the 2 modems down the line.

swirt said:
Some of them are! LOL too funny!

Back