Adding on to your home

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New residential construction, which generally would include additions, will likely cost anywhere between $100 to $300 per square foot, or more, depending on the complexity of your project, site conditions, the quality and standard to which you build, your choice of materials, and how hungry your contractors are. So a 1000-square foot addition could be $100,000 and up..
I was quoted $10k to put in a sidewalk. It's outrageous. In order to do the sidewalk I have to change the materials from bricks (to match the existing sidewalks) to tar, which I don't care for, just to get the price down to where I MIGHT consider doing it.
And contractors wonder why there are so many DIYers out there.
I know some local mason's I've known for years who are out of work right now due to the economy.
Maybe I should send them your way!
My friend hired a contractor who put in a double wide driveway that pitched to the road about 120 ft long and I believe 8 in. of crushed stone. He told me it cost him under $7,000.00 for the shabang!

New residential construction, which generally would include additions, will likely cost anywhere between $100 to $300 per square foot, or more, depending on the complexity of your project, site conditions, the quality and standard to which you build, your choice of materials, and how hungry your contractors are. So a 1000-square foot addition could be $100,000 and up..
I was quoted $10k to put in a sidewalk. It's outrageous. In order to do the sidewalk I have to change the materials from bricks (to match the existing sidewalks) to tar, which I don't care for, just to get the price down to where I MIGHT consider doing it.
I know some local mason's I've known for years who are out of work right now due to the economy.
My friend hired a contractor who put in a double wide driveway that pitched to the road about 120 ft long and I believe 8 in. of crushed stone. He told me it cost him under $7,000.00 for the shabang!
We are in the process of resurfacing the entire parking lot + driveway. Filling holes and cracks first then, if the weather cooperates next week, doing the resurfacing. Ourselves. I once did my entire driveway myself but that was then and this is now. NOT looking forward to this but it needs to be done.
We hope to finish in 2 days, drying time included.

We are in the process of resurfacing the entire parking lot + driveway. Filling holes and cracks first then, if the weather cooperates next week, doing the resurfacing. Ourselves. I once did my entire driveway myself but that was then and this is now. NOT looking forward to this but it needs to be done.
We hope to finish in 2 days, drying time included.
I hear ya when you say that was then and this is now!!!!
Is your driveway and parking lot blacktop or concrete?

There IS no range. Each area has its own costs and it depends on what is happening or has happened as to what the construction costs will be. Pre-2006 costs were reasonable. After Katrina the cost of building supplies hit the stratosphere and has yet to return to Earth. Hurricanes, floods, tornadoes all affect prices. Boom or bust affects prices too. Are people so hard up that they do not have money for construction/remodel - then contractors are starving too but if it is boom they can charge whatever and you say yes sir and get in line. I am probably going to be getting in line for my roof now that the appraisers have screwed around with a loan that was supposed to already have closed. And I do not know if the quote I was given in December is worth squat now..
True--timing is everything! We added a porch just after Katrina. The cost for the porch roof was what we had paid to put a roof on our garage a year earlier--but was only 1/3 the size!

As said, there is absolutely no way to ball park what an addition costs. I have to laugh, sorry, it is pretty funny. Size matter. Construction materials, matter. Location, matters. Permits, plans, matter. The answer to all of them is "A LOT" it costs a lot.

As said, there is absolutely no way to ball park what an addition costs. I have to laugh, sorry, it is pretty funny. Size matter. Construction materials, matter. Location, matters. Permits, plans, matter. The answer to all of them is "A LOT" it costs a lot..
Joey Bloggs said:
"A LOT" it costs a lot.
And then multiply that by 1.5, cause it will almost always cost more.
Don't forget that after you've built the addition, you will need to furnish and decorate it!

As said, there is absolutely no way to ball park what an addition costs. I have to laugh, sorry, it is pretty funny. Size matter. Construction materials, matter. Location, matters. Permits, plans, matter. The answer to all of them is "A LOT" it costs a lot..
Joey Bloggs said:
As said, there is absolutely no way to ball park what an addition costs.
You know, when I start a project, no matter how big or small, I want to know what I'm getting into first...and I think Olga is just looking for that factor of 10 guestimate. Is it going to cost 1,000 or 10,000 or 100,000 or 1,000,000. Of course, once you are serious, you need to get better estimates.
Olga, when I was looking at buying a house that needed a new roof, I did the same thing, even before going to see the house, I looked up online to see what the range of costs might be in my area for putting that roof on before I even considered going to see the house.
There are some online construction cost estimators that may be useful to you that give cost ranges by area of the country you may be in (just google it). These may provide some additional info that you can not get in an innkeeper forum.
It does vary. I'm building my inn, in another country, and its cost from groundbreaking to furnishing will be much less, probably by a factor of 5 or 6, than if I were to build in the US.

Joey Bloggs said:
You know, when I start a project, no matter how big or small, I want to know what I'm getting into first...and I think Olga is just looking for that factor of 10 guestimate. Is it going to cost 1,000 or 10,000 or 100,000 or 1,000,000. Of course, once you are serious, you need to get better estimates.
Olga, when I was looking at buying a house that needed a new roof, I did the same thing, even before going to see the house, I looked up online to see what the range of costs might be in my area for putting that roof on before I even considered going to see the house.
There are some online construction cost estimators that may be useful to you that give cost ranges by area of the country you may be in (just google it). These may provide some additional info that you can not get in an innkeeper forum.
It does vary. I'm building my inn, in another country, and its cost from groundbreaking to furnishing will be much less, probably by a factor of 5 or 6, than if I were to build in the US.
Costs in the same area differ by contractor also. Estimates for the new roof for my house have been from $10k to $28k - same house w/tin roof.

This is a huge question!! We did 3 major construction projects to our c.1910 house, just to upgrade it for a family home, before we decided to open a B&B. It took a year longer and cost about $25K more than we thought it would. We did a lot of the work ourselves.
This is the kind of question that really depends on where you live, what other kinds of houses (or businesses) are in the area, and what kind of ROI you expect to get on your investment. However, imvvho you can never go wrong with updating kitchens and baths, as long as you don't go cRaZy if your area doesn't warrant it. In our neighborhood of historic homes, people now are looking for houses that are impeccably maintained and have modern baths and kitchens, and storage space if you want to get a good price. Otherwise, they want to pay rock bottom prices if there's a lot of work to do.

Joey Bloggs said:
CafeMae said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Thank you so much :) That is exactly it. No point in even considering a project if I know before hand it's gonna be too much for me to handle ie: time wise, money wise, patience wise. But if it's something that I might find worth it, I just might.
I'll look up some cost calculators for the area I've been looking at. :)

Colleen848 said:
Even with people out of work due to the economy we had to wait over a month for our plumber to show up after paying him a deposit of $2500 for the addition (two bathrooms and a sink in the tasting room and set up for the other two unfinished baths. He would not answer our calls to come and do the finish work for our inspection and we had to find another plumber that would even answer our calls. Found one 45 minutes north of our town
RIki

Joey Bloggs said:
Costs in the same area differ by contractor also. Estimates for the new roof for my house have been from $10k to $28k - same house w/tin roof.
If I would have those money I would probably build an addition to my home, but otherwise I think it is much wiser to just improve what you already have these days. I also live in an old house and although I would like it to be more spacious I decided that restoring it is more budget appropriate, I have already found some lovely bathroom vanity cabinets to improve the bathrooms and the rest of the house will be improved gradually over the year.

Back