Additional Fee for Food Restrictions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My best guess would be in the res fields, set it up with a check box for what you are willing to offer for the added fee. If you do this, then you need to have a vegan repertoire in mind from the get go. You can have an open field to explain, but...to me it seems cut n dry. "Other" can be the " share adtl info here"
vegan would need to be cooked to charge the add on fee, or perhaps they are a "raw" diet.
ex: Rez key has the field for check in times, where you select one. You could do this and make it required.

BananaE29 said:
I am curious if any of you currently charge for guests with special food requests? I am getting more and more that can't have this, can't have that...and while that's all fine and good, it costs me money to go out and buy things to accommodate their special dietary needs. I don't expect to be paid more for the extra work, but money right out of my pocket is a different story. I am thinking a $5/day up charge, depending on the need.
If it is that much more then you would be better off adjusting your prices for all. Other wise I think it just might be discrimination.

BananaE29 said:
I am curious if any of you currently charge for guests with special food requests? I am getting more and more that can't have this, can't have that...and while that's all fine and good, it costs me money to go out and buy things to accommodate their special dietary needs. I don't expect to be paid more for the extra work, but money right out of my pocket is a different story. I am thinking a $5/day up charge, depending on the need.
If it is that much more then you would be better off adjusting your prices for all. Other wise I think it just might be discrimination..
I have to disagree. To me, it's comparable to someone wanting first class versus coach. If you can't have/don't want/don't like the "norm", then you pay for the additional service/goods. I don't consider it discrimination if I want to purchase a Coach purse instead of the one I bought at Sam's Club for $20. I expect to pay more when I want a better grade oil in my car than the normal grade they use when they do an oil change. These are things I choose.

A vegan chooses to eat that way. When the guest makes the choice, the burden/responsibility lies on them. If all guests pay for the one guest that requires additional attention, where do you draw the line? The next guest wants truffles with his eggs. The guest after him really likes to have steak with their eggs. See my point?

All should not have to pay for one. My opinion.

BananaE29 said:
If it is that much more then you would be better off adjusting your prices for all. Other wise I think it just might be discrimination..
I have to disagree. To me, it's comparable to someone wanting first class versus coach. If you can't have/don't want/don't like the "norm", then you pay for the additional service/goods. I don't consider it discrimination if I want to purchase a Coach purse instead of the one I bought at Sam's Club for $20. I expect to pay more when I want a better grade oil in my car than the normal grade they use when they do an oil change. These are things I choose.

A vegan chooses to eat that way. When the guest makes the choice, the burden/responsibility lies on them. If all guests pay for the one guest that requires additional attention, where do you draw the line? The next guest wants truffles with his eggs. The guest after him really likes to have steak with their eggs. See my point?

All should not have to pay for one. My opinion.
I agree with you whole heartily. I am tired of throwing out food . I just don't get enough guest to keep buying special produces for there fab diet.
I say on my web site: "However if there are unusual or expensive ingredients required for your restricted diet there may be a small surcharge. "
I think this has stopped a lot of requests for special wishes. Oh I get things like Please I donot like any cheese or yoghurt. Ok can deal with that. Or I don't like green peppers.

I know in the UK I had to pay for more than the complimentary continental, for example £5 more if I wanted the full english breakfast.

Can you not stock a gluten free muffin mix, a sugar free muffin mix for when you need them?
I know we aren't required to be handicapped accessible, but I wonder if charging extra for an alergy might be an issue under ADA. ??? No idea. Just chatting..
Gluten allergies aren't a major hassle - I've found I can do a lot for them without added expense, just extra work. Allergies aren't what is prompting my thinking of this - it's actually vegans. I know of things they CAN eat, but it usually involves buying extra for them.
BananaE29 said:
Gluten allergies aren't a major hassle - I've found I can do a lot for them without added expense, just extra work. Allergies aren't what is prompting my thinking of this - it's actually vegans. I know of things they CAN eat, but it usually involves buying extra for them.
Actually a Vegan is not difficult and the supplies are not a big deal to have on hand. Oatmeal, brown sugar, unsweetened applesauce, and keep a bag of frozen berries in the freezer.
Baked oatmeal = substitute water for the milk, substitute 2 tablespoons of water for each egg in the recipe. I always substitute unsweetened applesauce for the butter, oil, shortening in a recipe (cookies is the only thing will not work).
This morning I had one couple that eats anything and a walk-in (no shopping possible) with she = no bread and he is allergic to all grains and anything dairy. Eat anything gets my egg bake and English muffin bread. Can't eat couple get carrots, celery, zucchini, broccoli, and cauliflower boiled until softened with a couple sprigs of rosemary, then drained and cooled. Eggs beaten with garlic and regular chives from my herb garden, poured over the eggs and baked. Everyone had bacon and the fruit compote (fresh papaya, kiwi berries, white grapes, and red raspberries - had on hand as I had 3 couples booked in for the weekend but I always have fruit), and juices OJ and blueberry-pomegranate blend and Indian Mysore Nuggets coffee. 24 cup pot was DRAINED!!!
Except for "fad" diets, it really is not all that difficult to do most of the special diets. Keep Splenda and stevia on hand for the diabetics. Non-dairy creamer for the lactose and vegans. Another vegan breakfast isthe crock pot cereal on the recipes here. I keep a package of 5-grains and/or 7-frans on hand - mainly because I bought it when I found it.
So..oatmeal and fruit. I really like to cook/serve things that people don't normally eat at home, but I can fancy up some oatmeal. What do I do the other days they are here? Vegetables need some type of....egg to go with them, in my opinion. I can do a french toast, but with special bread (more $), almond milk (more $), and maybe egg substitute (but I think these actually have some of the egg in them). Special cereal (more $) and almond milk (more $). These aren't things I keep on hand. This is the South - people eat fatty things that aren't good for them. I don't keep "healthy" things on hand, because that's not my "normal" guest.
Why do you need special bread? Most basic breads are vegan by nature, just avoid any yellow breads (potato, challah, hamburger buns) and honey breads (although a lot of those don't have any actual honey in them).
Remember, too, that vegans are not expecting steak and eggs since, you know, they don't eat those things. Potatoes, vegan baked goods (there are lots of recipes that taste as good or better than the originals), roasted veggies, stuffed tomatoes or peppers and vegan meat products like morningstar that you can keep in the freezer. Energ is a good powdered egg replacer you can use for baking and it will keep in the cupboard.
That said, I am a vegetarian and I would absolutely pay an extra fee if it meant I was getting a meal made just for me.

Banana, how often do you get vegan guests?
Ever see the show "Portlandia"? Those are my guests, and I only get about 3 vegans a year, so for me, it's a little annoying if they don't appreciate it, but I can live with that.

Ever see the show "Portlandia"? Those are my guests, and I only get about 3 vegans a year, so for me, it's a little annoying if they don't appreciate it, but I can live with that..
Haha :) No, I have never seen it, but I'm originally from the NW area and quite familiar with Portland and the interesting people there. I assume that is what it is regarding?

I'm on the Gulf Coast of Texas and the closest beach vacation for a lot of large Texas cities, one of which is Austin. Their motto is "Keep Austin Weird". And they do. The people are an....interesting challenge for me, the lifestyle differences, and mindsets. The breakfast table is always lively when I have "Tree Hugging" Austinites and "Drill Baby Drill"Houstonians. I like the diversity. I get about one or two vegans a month.

Toss these in the freezer for when you need vegan. Of course they will not want cream cheese, but peanut butter and jelly go very well.
Thomas New York Style Bagels
Thomas New York Style Bagels are a popular American brand that has a number of vegan-friendly bagels including their blueberry, cinnamon swirl, everything, plain, cinnamon raisin and plain flavors. All of these bagels are low in fat and contain no trans fats or cholesterol. The brand is a product of the Bimbo Bakeries USA, which also owns the Stroehmann Company, which makes Dutch County soft potato and whole wheat bread---both vegan-friendly, according to PETA.
Read mhttp://www.livestrong.com/article/185769-which-brands-of-bread-are-vegan/ore: http://www.livestrong.com/article/185769-which-brands-of-bread-are-vegan/#ixzz2hoIpNJh3

Ever see the show "Portlandia"? Those are my guests, and I only get about 3 vegans a year, so for me, it's a little annoying if they don't appreciate it, but I can live with that..
Haha :) No, I have never seen it, but I'm originally from the NW area and quite familiar with Portland and the interesting people there. I assume that is what it is regarding?

I'm on the Gulf Coast of Texas and the closest beach vacation for a lot of large Texas cities, one of which is Austin. Their motto is "Keep Austin Weird". And they do. The people are an....interesting challenge for me, the lifestyle differences, and mindsets. The breakfast table is always lively when I have "Tree Hugging" Austinites and "Drill Baby Drill"Houstonians. I like the diversity. I get about one or two vegans a month.
BananaE29 said:

if you offered this you may get more! We cannot and should not try to be all things, we need to target our marketing. This may be an area that grows for you. I know of a proper Vegan B & B and I direct guests there and they are thrilled.
If word got out that this is a special " option" it may be a gold rush. I would eliminate the words, restrictions from all sources however. We use it here on the forum and it has a negative connotation. Vegan is a lifestyle , not a restriction.
heart.gif

More important than the food... Vegan Policy: No proselyting (and we won't either.)

I had a Vegan stay a few weeks back, we had a fairly short chat on what I had and it went well. From memory Breakfast Potatoes covered with Veggie Chilli and a fruit selection.
Unusual requirements, well I am 9 miles from the nearest supermarket, if they give me notice and I can I will. Nobody ever has.

I had a Vegan stay a few weeks back, we had a fairly short chat on what I had and it went well. From memory Breakfast Potatoes covered with Veggie Chilli and a fruit selection.
Unusual requirements, well I am 9 miles from the nearest supermarket, if they give me notice and I can I will. Nobody ever has.

Back