Additional Guest Fee

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HmBrdIn

Reaction score
I apologize if this topic has been discussed elsewhere but my searches didn't result in what I'm looking for.

We have a few guest rooms that can sleep more than 2 people. All our standard rates are based on double occupancy. If, however, an additional guest is going to stay in the room, I'm curious as to what people are charging for the additional guest.

I did a web search and it shows the average is $25-$50/night.

Looking for input from others and/or a link to the discussion on here if there is one I didn't see.

I charge $18 per person per night for guests 3 and 4. For that they get an air mattress on the floor. But I don't serve breakfast so this is just for air mattress and use of the bathroom.

We charge $25 for an extra person, includes breakfast. They get a separate full queen or a roll-away twin for that. Children under ... well, it depends how you sound on the phone because we normally don't allow children under 12 unless you call (and we're not busy). Not too much extra cost if I am in a good mood, and I am usually in a good mood (Morticia, queen of not in a good mood, are you still here?)
We are toying with charging maybe $10 to put up an extra bed for 2 people not sharing one of our king beds (in every room!). Haven't, because, in the grand scheme of things, it's less than 15 minutes of my time and happens less than a dozen times a year. And we get a lot of mom/daughter or sisters who share.
I think, after 13 years, I'm aiming for simplicity. I could pick up a few hundred dollars, but I want to keep it simple, for me.
Maybe I should post about my revised business plan. Going out with your boots on and they still fit well!

I'm the odd one, our rooms sleep, 2, 4, or 5 [no breakfast]. Small, medium, large and prices about $10 apart, for a toddler and extra person adds $10. This fee is really just to encourage guests to choose the room to fit their needs. An extra adult adds a larger fee, large enough to discourage adding that extra adult, I hope. Like Tom, I'm more interested in keeping things simple, easy life means more than money.

We charge $25 for the third person. We do serve breakfast. But there’s extra sheets and towels, extra water usuage and more time to ,pay housekeepers. We have two rooms that can accommodate a third person. we Used to offer a rollaway in one room but we stopped. It crowds the room and isn’t that comfortable. We are selling, in part, a relaxing getaway and decided a crowded room didn’t fit that goal.

Last edited:
It sounds like I have been charging too little. We have one room that has two full-size beds in it. I have been charging $15 for a third or fourth person in the room. We do serve breakfast, and that's more expensive than it used to be....... There are, of course, extra towels to wash as well.

I charge $25 per extra guest per night. We absolutely do NOT do a roll away... too much work. And we have been putting in more and more limits to the number of guests. We could do 4 in some rooms... we capped it at 3.

Agree with capping guest limits. We have two suites big enough to handle 6 with a sleeper sofa and 2 rollaways. We found when we cut maximum occupancy down to 5 it reduced the number of headaches exponentially.

I helped at an inn in coastal Mass, and the fee is $45 for an additional guest in a room that can handle the third. (standard occupancy is 2). This includes breakfast and all amenities including evening treats and unlimited make your own tea/coffee/cocoa. We put in an extra bathrobe, towels, pillows and toiletries. We have some rollaway beds, some people all pile into a king bed. Breakfast Seating has to be rearranged to accommodate everyone comfortably. Sometimes that third person using the shower makes for an unpleasant washing up so someone will buzz in and do a quick clean between guest 2&3 if need be. Everything is more work …. More trash, more dirty mugs and dishes, more towels! and laundry. Just more of everything. If the stay is more than one night, the bathroom needs a lot of attention. Staff are appropriately compensated for the extra work of an add-on. You wouldn’t think there’s so much more to do for three than two in a room … sometimes it’s barely noticeable, sometimes a lot! It’s still a lot less money for the guests than booking a second room.

I helped at an inn in coastal Mass, and the fee is $45 for an additional guest in a room that can handle the third. (standard occupancy is 2). This includes breakfast and all amenities including evening treats and unlimited make your own tea/coffee/cocoa. We put in an extra bathrobe, towels, pillows and toiletries. We have some rollaway beds, some people all pile into a king bed. Breakfast Seating has to be rearranged to accommodate everyone comfortably. Sometimes that third person using the shower makes for an unpleasant washing up so someone will buzz in and do a quick clean between guest 2&3 if need be. Everything is more work …. More trash, more dirty mugs and dishes, more towels! and laundry. Just more of everything. If the stay is more than one night, the bathroom needs a lot of attention. Staff are appropriately compensated for the extra work of an add-on. You wouldn’t think there’s so much more to do for three than two in a room … sometimes it’s barely noticeable, sometimes a lot! It’s still a lot less money for the guests than booking a second room.

I notice it most in the DISHES. My place settings have a lot of goblets & dishes plus chargers and silverware. And that setting up and taking down of the spring-loaded cot - not as strong as I used to be.

...setting up and taking down of the spring-loaded cot - not as strong as I used to be.
I used to have sofa beds, but a) the "works" chew holes in the sheets when people fold up and unfold the bed with the sheets on it and b) the "works" stopped working in all my sofa beds after about 3 years. They pretty much fell apart. Maybe I was supposed to oil them.

I switched to air mattresses. Let the electric pump air it up. I like them better than the sofa beds, and the guests say they are more comfortable. And, when the air is out and they're folded up, they take up almost no storage space.

We just increased our additional guest charge to $50 from $30. As mentioned by others, the additional cleaning, linens etc all add up noticeably.
Some of our rooms have Murphy beds that require staff to set up, and result in double bed linens for the room. To be honest, I’ve also started charging this fee for the Murphy bed even it it’s only 2 guests. No complaints I’ve heard of so far.

I’ve also started charging this fee for the Murphy bed even it it’s only 2 guests. No complaints I’ve heard of so far.
Absolutely. If there are 2 guests in a room and they don't want to share the king sized bed, they'll pay extra for me to set up an air mattress, sheets, blanket and pillow. It's a lot of extra trouble, and charging for it only helps me feel a little bit better!

I like the air mattress solution
I’ve slept on one and found it comfortable, much better than the rollaways hopefully getting donated out. I nearly took off half a finger in the spring latch of a fold up bed

Any recommendations for brand?
Built in pump but not the pillow…
high weight capacity ..
no stand …

Kingkoil looks good online

We charged $50 per night. We stopped doing the rollout beds as it was too much hassle and not the experience we wanted to promote.

Back