Additional Guest Fee

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have sofa beds, but a) the "works" chew holes in the sheets when people fold up and unfold the bed with the sheets on it and b) the "works" stopped working in all my sofa beds after about 3 years. They pretty much fell apart. Maybe I was supposed to oil them.

I switched to air mattresses. Let the electric pump air it up. I like them better than the sofa beds, and the guests say they are more comfortable. And, when the air is out and they're folded up, they take up almost no storage space.
Our sofa sleepers have seen better days as well. We have just put in our first Murphy bed. We'll see how that goes and phase out the sleepers if guests can handle pulling the bed down. :)

Our sofa sleepers have seen better days as well. We have just put in our first Murphy bed. We'll see how that goes and phase out the sleepers if guests can handle pulling the bed down. :)
Dying to hear how this goes. I have been trying to convince my SO to put a Murphy bed in our "flex" room that we use for overflow for 10 years. Only this year have I convinced her to leave the SleepNumber bed there set up, rather than have me drag it up from the basement and assemble it every time we had need of our extra room.

We have just put in our first Murphy bed. :)
I’ve been looking at Murphy beds for months. So expensive for so cheaply made. Complicated to install. Probably impossible for me on my own. But I can hire it done and maybe give away the existing sleeper sofa.
Please share brand and model if anyone has found a queen Murphy bed worth buying. 🤞

We used to offer a rollaway in one room but we stopped. It crowds the room and isn’t that comfortable.
same here. I’ve dropped full dinners too as of this year. Simple suppers only. An evening meal is still available but the full white table cloth and wine thing is too stressful.

same here. I’ve dropped full dinners too as of this year. Simple suppers only. An evening meal is still available but the full white table cloth and wine thing is too stressful.
I dropped that LONG ago - Himself was still here, that is how long ago. By the time they finished eating - and talking - it would be 10/11 o'clock then it would be clean-up before we could go to bed to get up for their early breakfast. Not worth it.

The Warehouse Club here sells Bestar brand. From $1200. I think they also carry them on the US website.

I’ve been looking at Murphy beds for months. So expensive for so cheaply made. Complicated to install. Probably impossible for me on my own. But I can hire it done and maybe give away the existing sleeper sofa.
Please share brand and model if anyone has found a queen Murphy bed worth buying. 🤞
We have only used it once and that was with my grandkids. We got the queen bed with cabinet and the sofa. I don't recommend the sofa. It is designed to keep the frame of the sofa in place and remove the cushions to put the bed down right over the sofa. However, the cushions are large and take up half the room once they are off the sofa frame. They also have heavy duty velcro that will, over time, wreck your carpet since guests would put the cushions on the floor. We thought the cushions would go on the floor under the bed but they are too thick to fit. Also, as a 60 something grandma, getting in the bed was awkward. The arms of the sofa plus the depth of the wall box meant getting into the bed too far down and necessitated skootching to get higher up on the bed. Fortunately the sofa is not attached to the murphy box so we just rearranged the room with the sofa in a different location. As we get into our busier season we will see how it holds up and how are guests handle opening and closing it. I will keep you posted! Oh and it was a massive task to assemble - not a couple of hour project - more like a couple of days! Definitely a two person job!!! Ours came from Wayfair.

I’ve been looking at Murphy beds for months. So expensive for so cheaply made.
Yes I was shocked at how much they cost. And they take quite a bit of space even when closed up. I prefer the air mattresses. Only put them out when needed, which, thankfully, is rarely.

I have a BBQ grill out back, available for guests if they want. Had a guest leave a note the other day saying grill needs to be cleaned. I decided, easier to just remove it! Very few use it anyway, and I'm about making things easier for me and my housekeepers.

Similarly, I had a guest through Air complain that there were no cookies and other snacks available "for the price." No way. My housekeepers already have about 30 things to replenish after each stay. I'm not messing with snacks too! They can get their own snacks.

I dropped that LONG ago - Himself was still here, that is how long ago. By the time they finished eating - and talking - it would be 10/11 o'clock then it would be clean-up before we could go to bed to get up for their early breakfast. Not worth it.
AMEN!

I‘m slow, but finally figured that out. 🤣

Back