Addressing Christmas card envelopes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your opinion, but we are doing this.
We don't have addresses for ALL our guests and we already had the cards printed. Basically it's just a simple, postcard-type card that's 3.5x8.5. It's being sent with our new brochure as a way to reach out to our existing clientele. It's our first year and we want to do this to encourage them to return. We've had very little return business from previous owners (maybe 10 in all), so this is important to us.
So, did you have a suggestion on how to address the envelope?.
We were going to do this as well. I loved the idea and we had a box of 250 Christmas cards left from the original owners that were just going to waste. The addressing part is tough. Because you do not have anyone's name except the person who made the rez (and WHY do they always do that???) address it to that person. And next year? ASK for the other person's name at check-in. ('And you are...?')
Why we didn't do it...not all of our guests are Christian and I didn't always know who that might be after the fact. We didn't like all of our guests. It was not a practice we felt we could keep up with over the years. We could not be sure that the person who showed up with the guest was the person who should have been there.

I think as long as you hand-address the envelopes, people will open them, and appreciate you thinking of them.
It's the mass mailed computer-generated stuff that goes straight to the trash. People still pay attention to mail that obviously came from a real person. But don't do a mail merge that prints addresses on labels. Write it by hand if you want them to appreciate it..
Arkansawyer said:
I think as long as you hand-address the envelopes, people will open them, and appreciate you thinking of them.
It's the mass mailed computer-generated stuff that goes straight to the trash. People still pay attention to mail that obviously came from a real person. But don't do a mail merge that prints addresses on labels. Write it by hand if you want them to appreciate it.
I agree that the envelopes MUST be hand-addressed. No labels. Labels imply that you had a list and just slapped the label on. NEXT! Hand-written means you really took the time and effort to make it special.

Great ideas! Thank you for your feedback
wink_smile.gif

It's the mass mailed computer-generated stuff that goes straight to the trash. People still pay attention to mail that obviously came from a real person. But don't do a mail merge that prints addresses on labels. Write it by hand if you want them to appreciate it..
I agree that handwriting is better... but... the other Innkeeper has HORRIBLE handwriting and I have carpal tunnel which makes it impossible to write more than a few at a time.
I have been printing the addresses directly on the envelopes - no labels - with a nice font. I guess I have enough time that I can go ahead and start handwriting what I can.

I agree that handwriting is better... but... the other Innkeeper has HORRIBLE handwriting and I have carpal tunnel which makes it impossible to write more than a few at a time.
I have been printing the addresses directly on the envelopes - no labels - with a nice font. I guess I have enough time that I can go ahead and start handwriting what I can.
Yeah, I am the person here who does all the hand-written stuff.

seashanty wrote:
' not all those who wander are lost ... ' jrr tolkien
Along that line, I ran across these this week and have ordered some to put in the guest rooms for folks to write their room diary thoughts. I'm an admitted nerd, and seek to spread my joy in that..
Arkansawyer said:
seashanty wrote:
Along that line, I ran across these this week and have ordered some to put in the guest rooms for folks to write their room diary thoughts. I'm an admitted nerd, and seek to spread my joy in that.
I love those!
You know I have found some of the hidden gems by those same type books.
Another thing in the books I have mentioned at the cabins is wildlife spotted. After I found others spotted so and so wildlife I was eager to find them myself (mentioning for your cabins/cottages).
They also ask the guest if they found any surprises (these books are preprinted so they can ask specifics), and many found surprises. Little things they had not anticipated. For me, pressed crisp linens were a nice surprise. Other found a water filter inside the fridge (which is great for those with compromised immune systems - so they wrote). etc.I didn't know it was there.
Joey Bloggs said:
Another thing in the books I have mentioned at the cabins is wildlife spotted. After I found others spotted so and so wildlife I was eager to find them myself (mentioning for your cabins/cottages).
Excellent idea and I'll get on that immediately. The river draws lots of wildlife, and having a log book of what folks have seen will be great. Of course, the first entry might be the one-eyed cow that looks "funny" at people.

We don't have addresses for ALL our guests and we already had the cards printed. Basically it's just a simple, postcard-type card that's 3.5x8.5. It's being sent with our new brochure as a way to reach out to our existing clientele. It's our first year and we want to do this to encourage them to return. We've had very little return business from previous owners (maybe 10 in all), so this is important to us.
We were going to do this as well. I loved the idea and we had a box of 250 Christmas cards left from the original owners that were just going to waste. The addressing part is tough. Because you do not have anyone's name except the person who made the rez (and WHY do they always do that???) address it to that person. And next year? ASK for the other person's name at check-in. ('And you are...?')
Why we didn't do it...not all of our guests are Christian and I didn't always know who that might be after the fact. We didn't like all of our guests. It was not a practice we felt we could keep up with over the years. We could not be sure that the person who showed up with the guest was the person who should have been there.
Our say "Happy Holidays" because I know that some of our guests were of other religions.
There were a few guests that we didn't care for, but none that we would not want to come back - we'll take their money again. There was only one family that we discussed how we could get away with not taking them back and I won't be sending them a card.
I'm not sure about doing it again in the future. These guests won't be expecting this from us, so they probably won't be heartbroken if we don't send them one next year. We'll probably just send cards to the people that stayed with us that particular year, not add new people to an existing (and ever-growing) database. That will keep it more manageable.

Our say "Happy Holidays" because I know that some of our guests were of other religions.
There were a few guests that we didn't care for, but none that we would not want to come back - we'll take their money again. There was only one family that we discussed how we could get away with not taking them back and I won't be sending them a card.
I'm not sure about doing it again in the future. These guests won't be expecting this from us, so they probably won't be heartbroken if we don't send them one next year. We'll probably just send cards to the people that stayed with us that particular year, not add new people to an existing (and ever-growing) database. That will keep it more manageable.
K9 said:
I know you have already begun or finished doing this, but IF IT WERE ME I would send a thank you for making your first year spectacular, blah blah blah (or if it isn't the first year, something about being the new innkeepers at the inn), new can be up to a couple years, in my estimation.
As for happy holy-days, that is entirely up to the sender. The dentist's clerk yesterday said to to me and I replied with a merry CHRISTmas. Or Happy Chanukah if that were the case. :)
The most difficult thing, and here it goes, is it is a hard time of year for some people, loss of family members, memories flooding back. Whenever we have bookings this time of year, that is what they are "We just can't bear to be at home this time of year..." I want to focus on my family, so we don't allow bookings OVER Christmas. Or I would be drawn into that, I find it hard not to, I would cry myself to sleep if they stayed here feeling so bad for them.

seashanty wrote:
Along that line, I ran across these this week and have ordered some to put in the guest rooms for folks to write their room diary thoughts. I'm an admitted nerd, and seek to spread my joy in that..
Arks, they also have "Lego" journals like that. My dil snagged one for my son before I could get one! Dang!

I vote for Seashanty's idea of "From Our Home to Yours" or something like that. That way if the card is received by someone who actually did NOT stay with you, it could be construed as a marketing mailout.
I agree with many others, this would not be something that I would do for obvious reasons about guests and their privacy, etc.

Here is an email my Mom and Dad got today, Mom thought this was so super nice she sent it to me (since I have stayed there before). This is an outdated old motel across from the beach at OBX, run by a nice family, and we stay there when we go fishing in the Gulf Stream. a simple email, which spoke volumes to my mother. (They have a nice new website too!)
Gary,
We wish you a very Merry Christmas from the Tar Heel Motel!
A blessing of peace and happiness for you and your family. We
look forward to seeing you again in the coming year.
Tar Heel Motel
Nags Head, NC
www.tarheelmotelobx.com
252-441-6150

my DH writes like a doctor and sometimes can't read his own hand writing! do not get me started! Ive just finished all my corporate xmas card so I know how it is.
Also would not be too personal in case the partner they are with now isn't the one they are with now! doesn't do to put ones foot in it!

Back