Addressing Christmas card envelopes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Nein

Reaction score
I have copies of all our internet reservations, but they all have just one person's name on them - the person who filled out the forms. I'm not sure how to best address the envelopes.
  • Can't do Mr & Mrs Smith - not always the case
  • It would be rude to put Tim Smith and not include the other person who stayed (usually the wife)
  • Would you choose one of these other options:
    • The Smith's
    • The Smith Residence
    • The Smith Family
  • or do you have a better idea?
Thank you!

You are sending cards to all your guests??? Are they your friends? Honestly I would not send cards to guests. Save your money and do something else to market the inn.

Thank you for your opinion, but we are doing this.
We don't have addresses for ALL our guests and we already had the cards printed. Basically it's just a simple, postcard-type card that's 3.5x8.5. It's being sent with our new brochure as a way to reach out to our existing clientele. It's our first year and we want to do this to encourage them to return. We've had very little return business from previous owners (maybe 10 in all), so this is important to us.
So, did you have a suggestion on how to address the envelope?

Thank you for your opinion, but we are doing this.
We don't have addresses for ALL our guests and we already had the cards printed. Basically it's just a simple, postcard-type card that's 3.5x8.5. It's being sent with our new brochure as a way to reach out to our existing clientele. It's our first year and we want to do this to encourage them to return. We've had very little return business from previous owners (maybe 10 in all), so this is important to us.
So, did you have a suggestion on how to address the envelope?.
I guess I would just address it to the person who made the reservation and not try and second guess about partnerships.

We were thinking of doing that to, but didn't have the time.
If you know they are 'mr & mrs' you can use their names.
If not, or unclear, could you say 'The Residents at'.... We get a lot of generic mail addressed that way.
I know its not personal, but that way if your previous guests have moved, the new residents will be introduced to your b&b....
Since we didn't do that this year, I didn't think about how we'd address the cards.

We were thinking of doing that to, but didn't have the time.
If you know they are 'mr & mrs' you can use their names.
If not, or unclear, could you say 'The Residents at'.... We get a lot of generic mail addressed that way.
I know its not personal, but that way if your previous guests have moved, the new residents will be introduced to your b&b....
Since we didn't do that this year, I didn't think about how we'd address the cards..
Sunshine said:
I might use "The Folks at..." or "Our Friends at..." to make it a little friendlier, less formal sounding.

I would never used Mr. and Mrs.... but legally speaking around here, Married couples don't share a last name. In fact all of that is probably one of the best reasons for why I don't send out cards.

I agree! This is something new people have to learn on their own. Mail outs are a waste of money. I'm not sure where I read it, but I believe they said. Out of 200 mail outs you might get 1 or 2 people that will look at it. Stamps are not cheap and advertisement money could be used better. If you must send something, email them a nice email. This is free and because they have stayed with you already, most likely they will open it. I receive tons of junk paper mail in the mail. I never look at it. But that's just me.

I think as long as you hand-address the envelopes, people will open them, and appreciate you thinking of them.
It's the mass mailed computer-generated stuff that goes straight to the trash. People still pay attention to mail that obviously came from a real person. But don't do a mail merge that prints addresses on labels. Write it by hand if you want them to appreciate it.

Old school here.
I believe respect, and titles should be used, if you don't have them, then you are up a creek. :) So to speak...but keep paddling!

In other news I am getting hammered by anyone and everyone I have known, emailed or conducted business with this entire year. Many of them I get in two or more email addresses. Very personal indeed.
But...I got a Christmas card today from lovely Canadian guests from Campbell River, Vancouver Island BC. They were shocked to see a whole article about a place I recommended they visit when they were here (and they did) in the Vancouver Sun (and mailed it to me with the card):
South met its Waterloo - and so can you
Visitors transported back to the moment Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant

We have several former guests we exchange cards with. Got one in today's mail. They were here with horses and got to talking to DH about his paintings. This was years ago. DH brought out a Harley Boardtracker he was working on and the man said, "When that is done, it is mine." When it was finished, I e-mailed, IF you are still interested, the painting is done. He e-mailed back, that is my painting. When they moved from Delaware to Kentucky, they stayed with us for the third time (first was a round trip stay) as they moved their horses to their new home. We also exchange cards with the fastest man on two wheels (he reclained the title on the Bonneville Flats).

We have several former guests we exchange cards with. Got one in today's mail. They were here with horses and got to talking to DH about his paintings. This was years ago. DH brought out a Harley Boardtracker he was working on and the man said, "When that is done, it is mine." When it was finished, I e-mailed, IF you are still interested, the painting is done. He e-mailed back, that is my painting. When they moved from Delaware to Kentucky, they stayed with us for the third time (first was a round trip stay) as they moved their horses to their new home. We also exchange cards with the fastest man on two wheels (he reclained the title on the Bonneville Flats)..
gillumhouse said:
They were here with horses and got to talking to DH about his paintings. This was years ago. DH brought out a Harley Boardtracker he was working on and the man said, "When that is done, it is mine."
Maybe DH should start painting horses, too!

We have several former guests we exchange cards with. Got one in today's mail. They were here with horses and got to talking to DH about his paintings. This was years ago. DH brought out a Harley Boardtracker he was working on and the man said, "When that is done, it is mine." When it was finished, I e-mailed, IF you are still interested, the painting is done. He e-mailed back, that is my painting. When they moved from Delaware to Kentucky, they stayed with us for the third time (first was a round trip stay) as they moved their horses to their new home. We also exchange cards with the fastest man on two wheels (he reclained the title on the Bonneville Flats)..
gillumhouse said:
They were here with horses and got to talking to DH about his paintings. This was years ago. DH brought out a Harley Boardtracker he was working on and the man said, "When that is done, it is mine."
Maybe DH should start painting horses, too!
He is considering it, but mechanical things is where he excels. He currently has 2 commissions to do dogs. As he waits for the oils to dry on that project (Stearman racing a Harley KR on the beach a la Daytona), he is working on the 2 dog drawings. He works on one and studies it while he works on the second one. That is how he finds things he feels need to be changed. Horses are harder than one would think to draw.

How about addressing them
From our household to yours
I get so few Christmas cards in the mail, I would love it. I understand when a business sends me a card and they are not clear on how to address it.
I sent some out to family this year and I'm happy I did.

I get so few Christmas cards in the mail, I would love it. I understand when a business sends me a card and they are not clear on how to address it.
I sent some out to family this year and I'm happy I did..
seashanty said:
Oooo, seashanty, that's good! And I agree that any Christmas card is welcome. I think people will appreciate it, or at least see it in a better light than a mailing arriving at a different time of year.
Christmas is special!

seashanty wrote:
' not all those who wander are lost ... ' jrr tolkien
Along that line, I ran across these this week and have ordered some to put in the guest rooms for folks to write their room diary thoughts. I'm an admitted nerd, and seek to spread my joy in that.

seashanty wrote:
Along that line, I ran across these this week and have ordered some to put in the guest rooms for folks to write their room diary thoughts. I'm an admitted nerd, and seek to spread my joy in that..
Arkansawyer said:
seashanty wrote:
Along that line, I ran across these this week and have ordered some to put in the guest rooms for folks to write their room diary thoughts. I'm an admitted nerd, and seek to spread my joy in that.
heart.gif
i NEED one!
" Dear Santa ....... "

I sent some out to family this year and I'm happy I did..
I like that!

seashanty wrote:
Along that line, I ran across these this week and have ordered some to put in the guest rooms for folks to write their room diary thoughts. I'm an admitted nerd, and seek to spread my joy in that..
Arkansawyer said:
seashanty wrote:
I love those!
You know I have found some of the hidden gems by those same type books.
Another thing in the books I have mentioned at the cabins is wildlife spotted. After I found others spotted so and so wildlife I was eager to find them myself (mentioning for your cabins/cottages).
They also ask the guest if they found any surprises (these books are preprinted so they can ask specifics), and many found surprises. Little things they had not anticipated. For me, pressed crisp linens were a nice surprise. Other found a water filter inside the fridge (which is great for those with compromised immune systems - so they wrote). etc.I didn't know it was there.

Back