Adopt vs. adapt

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[h3]Adopt vs. adapt [/h3]
An early adopter seeks out new ideas and makes them work.
An adapter, on the other hand, puts up with what he has to, begrudgingly.
One is offense, the other is defense. One requires the spark of curiousity, the other is associated with fear, or at least hassle.

And usually you need to find some combination of the two to keep yourself happy and productive (I'd consider myself a happy adapter, somewhere in the middle!). Too much offensive and you could miss an easy solution that was right in front of you, too much defensive and you end up grumpy.
This time of year I'm lucky if I can find the energy to even adapt, adopt has to wait until the off season when I can at least lift my head up!

And usually you need to find some combination of the two to keep yourself happy and productive (I'd consider myself a happy adapter, somewhere in the middle!). Too much offensive and you could miss an easy solution that was right in front of you, too much defensive and you end up grumpy.
This time of year I'm lucky if I can find the energy to even adapt, adopt has to wait until the off season when I can at least lift my head up!.
Amen to that!

Funny! (ahem, ironic). I'm reading Tribes right now and I read that quote and thought - That sounds just like Seth Godin. Guess I'm paying attention.

Funny! (ahem, ironic). I'm reading Tribes right now and I read that quote and thought - That sounds just like Seth Godin. Guess I'm paying attention..
Red Handed Jill said:
Funny! (ahem, ironic). I'm reading Tribes right now and I read that quote and thought - That sounds just like Seth Godin. Guess I'm paying attention.
You got it!
I get his daily email but don't post it often and they are usually much lengthier, so to have shorter thoughts like this one is great for the forum! You'll have to let me know how you like Tribes.
The whole leadership thing is funny since I have no staff and yet it still applies to me here, in this biz. Of course in our families and marriages it applies as well. I feel the whole attitude we take reflects in everything we do, our guests can feel, our loved ones can feel it.

Funny! (ahem, ironic). I'm reading Tribes right now and I read that quote and thought - That sounds just like Seth Godin. Guess I'm paying attention..
Red Handed Jill said:
You got it!
I get his daily email but don't post it often and they are usually much lengthier, so to have shorter thoughts like this one is great for the forum! You'll have to let me know how you like Tribes.
The whole leadership thing is funny since I have no staff and yet it still applies to me here, in this biz. Of course in our families and marriages it applies as well. I feel the whole attitude we take reflects in everything we do, our guests can feel, our loved ones can feel it.
Joey Bloggs said:
The whole leadership thing is funny since I have no staff and yet it still applies to me here, in this biz.
One thing I have learned about myself is that I make a better indian than a chief. I don't think I'll ever own my own inn (due to that fact), but I thoroughly innjoy working within the inndustry and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

Red Handed Jill said:
You got it!
Joey Bloggs said:
DH just finished Linchpin (which is now sitting, collecting dust, waiting for me to finish Tribes). I see a lot fo similarities from what DH has shared about Linchpin - I have no interest in leading a whole bunch of other people...but I can see Godin's point that (RHJ paraphrasing here) that modern, effective, meangiful leadership is often far more about facilitating - finding people who fit "your tribe" and synergizing with them, Ffor me, that could mean making sure I market to the people who want to buy what I'm selling. DH found that Linchpin really preaches to those who work for someone else (I have felt the same thing about Tribes at times), but there are plenty of applications for those of us who can't seem to breathe when we're in someone else's box.
All in all, even when I completely disagree with Godin, I find he paints a very interesting picture of our societal functionality.

Back