Adverse Weather

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
Well we have had the first day of snow here today (it never snows here in november so everyone is a bit off guard) we have had a ton of people here for an big knitting and kneedlework conference (this is HUGE) and quite a lot have been stranded. Had two lovely German ladies their taxi was late raing the taxi firm and asked them where it was said he was in traffic so had to walk them along to him as it was quicker! am going to email them soon as I hope they got home OK. Have picked up 5 walkins! didn't have extra rooms ready other than my arrivals as sundays are usually quiet and was just going to dawdle about doing a few as had given the chamber maid half a day off. But have ended up running round like a crazy woman and swopping people round to put the walk in's in ready rooms and then rushing to do the next ones for the booked people! We have one room left but I have turned the sign round to full as I am pooped. Ive run out of single duvet covers! and we have to double check food! However my main point is what do people do about the weather not in a gaining business way but what about peopel who now can't make it? Am tempted to take a hard line of should have travel insurance but as I have picked up a lot of business I am inclined to be more sympathetic (knock a bit off rather than full charge) I am just enjoying a sit down as I am pooped!

Snow is difficult. I do not want guests driving here if the roads are bad just because they are too cheap to pay the cancellation, so I don't charge for snow 'in the area'. Also, if it is bad here, I do not want guests here, period. The power goes out and then I am stuck with cold, hungry guests sitting in the dark. Not good. Someone else had a penalty-free cancellation for snow. You get to use the deposit within 2-3 months for a different stay. After that, the money is gone. If most of your guests are there for events, that probably doesn't work. But, if you filled the empty rooms, I'd let the other folks off as long as it is the same day.

If my horse people cancel because of snow, I only charge the stable fee. I cannot afford to lose the stable and guests would much rather pay the stable than me as that is only $25 per horse.

I agree with Alibi although we werent open in WV for that particular reason plus the podunk town we lived in was one of the last roads to be plowed plus we did not have the equipment to plow the long road in front of the B & B.
I think weather is beyond anyone's control, think about getting stranded in an airport? Would you like getting charged for the plane not taking off and then go ahead and pay another ticket? Its kind of "Well there is nothing you can do about the weather and its just common sense not to charge if the weather is that bad that they can't get there not to mention any other weather related things like electricity or an accident. IMHO...

I agree with Alibi although we werent open in WV for that particular reason plus the podunk town we lived in was one of the last roads to be plowed plus we did not have the equipment to plow the long road in front of the B & B.
I think weather is beyond anyone's control, think about getting stranded in an airport? Would you like getting charged for the plane not taking off and then go ahead and pay another ticket? Its kind of "Well there is nothing you can do about the weather and its just common sense not to charge if the weather is that bad that they can't get there not to mention any other weather related things like electricity or an accident. IMHO....
I will say that I have charged guests whose planes were grounded for something outside their control and also outside my area. I've also let it go. Sometimes it depends on how the guest ended up acting once they arrived.

If guests cannot get here because of the airlines I don't charge. I know how insane that makes me when I'm traveling. If they are driving and the roads are open I would charge. If the local authorities advise against driving the roads, I don't charge.
RIki

Back