Advertising Dollars

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we are joining our chamber this year as they work really hard for local business for example this year they put together the package that got us direct trains from London. If you can imagine a direct train from where you are to New York allowing all those people to get to you and all the people on route to get to you in three hours or less that is a really big deal. Also this dramatically increases our marketability as a conference destination. They are also fighting to get more flights for Leeds Bradford Airport which is our local airport which has the same effect. So although they do not do any direct marketing on our behalf they get the people here in other ways which is much more important as we have Destination Harrogate, Accommodation Harrogate and Welcome to Yorkshire doing that already..
I wonder how much difference that makes here. How many travelers take a train to a vacation or conference destination? Remember, this is the land of the automobile! They're cheap to buy & cheap to own & drive. (At least that's what our European guests say when they see the ads in the paper. 'Do you know how much this car costs where I live???')
We have people fly in from NYC. It's an hour flight. Then they rent a car. No one takes the bus or train from the airport here, even if they take it to get to the airport in NYC.
Interesting info. I wonder if there's a way to market that here.
DH was just quoting a statistic he saw online that said if a destination is 400 miles or less, the average traveler was much more likely to drive than fly. I forget the percentage, but it was very high. Land of autos, and inconvenient mass transport.
I remember another "destination" rule from somewhere, that people will travel a certain distance as a factor of four of the time they will spend there. ie: You will travel one hour if you will spend a minimum of four hours there, one day if you will spend at least four days there.
I am always surprised by guests who drive 4 hours to basically sleep here and then turn aroun and drive home. 1 day. 500 miles round trip.
Alibi Ike said:
I am always surprised by guests who drive 4 hours to basically sleep here and then turn aroun and drive home. 1 day. 500 miles round trip.
"And she better be thankful!" he says "I missed the game for this!"
PS along the same lines, here is another thing a husband should never do or say without body armor "Enjoy your new toy" and walk away, as I plug in the new vacuum.
poke.gif

Anyone who thinks the spouse should 'be thankful' should not even bother. Buy her a GC and let her go off and enjoy the time by herself rather than putting yourself out and expecting gratitude. (Which generally translates as sex anyway.)
Chocolate pudding

Once again I could not afford my Chamber dues and although they are not "proactive" they do send me guests (reactive to requests)
This year and last I paid 50% of the dues and gave them one comp night as they always have a couple of people a year they need to accommodate.

As a user, I'm probably your worst nightmare. I research the daylights out of everything. However I find you, I'll probably bookmark your site and return to it a dozen times before I make my decision. When I finally book, you won't know how I got there b/c I'll do it directly in the end. Now that I'm on the other end, I hope I'm not the norm
rolleyes.gif

As a user, I'm probably your worst nightmare. I research the daylights out of everything. However I find you, I'll probably bookmark your site and return to it a dozen times before I make my decision. When I finally book, you won't know how I got there b/c I'll do it directly in the end. Now that I'm on the other end, I hope I'm not the norm
rolleyes.gif
There was one innkeeper on here who you would have made insane. She constantly (I mean had it on all the time) tracked every move anyone made on her website, while they were on there. She would have had your address and phone number before you even called if you were on her site that much.

we are joining our chamber this year as they work really hard for local business for example this year they put together the package that got us direct trains from London. If you can imagine a direct train from where you are to New York allowing all those people to get to you and all the people on route to get to you in three hours or less that is a really big deal. Also this dramatically increases our marketability as a conference destination. They are also fighting to get more flights for Leeds Bradford Airport which is our local airport which has the same effect. So although they do not do any direct marketing on our behalf they get the people here in other ways which is much more important as we have Destination Harrogate, Accommodation Harrogate and Welcome to Yorkshire doing that already..
I wonder how much difference that makes here. How many travelers take a train to a vacation or conference destination? Remember, this is the land of the automobile! They're cheap to buy & cheap to own & drive. (At least that's what our European guests say when they see the ads in the paper. 'Do you know how much this car costs where I live???')
We have people fly in from NYC. It's an hour flight. Then they rent a car. No one takes the bus or train from the airport here, even if they take it to get to the airport in NYC.
DH was just quoting a statistic he saw online that said if a destination is 400 miles or less, the average traveler was much more likely to drive than fly. I forget the percentage, but it was very high. Land of autos, and inconvenient mass transport.
I remember another "destination" rule from somewhere, that people will travel a certain distance as a factor of four of the time they will spend there. ie: You will travel one hour if you will spend a minimum of four hours there, one day if you will spend at least four days there.
Alibi Ike said:
PS along the same lines, here is another thing a husband should never do or say without body armor "Enjoy your new toy" and walk away, as I plug in the new vacuum.
poke.gif

Anyone who thinks the spouse should 'be thankful' should not even bother. Buy her a GC and let her go off and enjoy the time by herself rather than putting yourself out and expecting gratitude. (Which generally translates as sex anyway.)
Alibi Ike said:
Yes, that is it in a nutshell.
We have seen them and then just last week, I mentioned how nice it was that her hubby arranged this special romantic getaway (a one night, same same, drove from 4-5 hours away), fortunately ordered a cheese fruit plate and flowers, ate breakfast, drove home. She said in snarky reply "Well, he is going to be gone over Valentine's day, so I said he BETTER do something!"
Hm. and...have a nice day
The same guest was telling me "My husband uses turbo tax, you should try that!" First of all I was one of the FIRST EVER to use turbo tax 10 years ago, but now I have THIS business and require a CPA to file my taxes, but thanks for telling me what YOUR HUSBAND does.
smiles everyone...smiles. back to my cooking and cleaning barefoot.

rolleyes.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
rolleyes.gif
No, you are not the worst nightmare, we love you! We love that you do your research and are excited to be with us (at our inn). We ARE listed everywhere, and we hope you found us everywhere, and said "Hey there is that inn again, must be pretty neat! I think I will book a stay there." :)

Alibi Ike said:
poke.gif

Alibi Ike said:
Yes, that is it in a nutshell.
We have seen them and then just last week, I mentioned how nice it was that her hubby arranged this special romantic getaway (a one night, same same, drove from 4-5 hours away), fortunately ordered a cheese fruit plate and flowers, ate breakfast, drove home. She said in snarky reply "Well, he is going to be gone over Valentine's day, so I said he BETTER do something!"
Hm. and...have a nice day
The same guest was telling me "My husband uses turbo tax, you should try that!" First of all I was one of the FIRST EVER to use turbo tax 10 years ago, but now I have THIS business and require a CPA to file my taxes, but thanks for telling me what YOUR HUSBAND does.
smiles everyone...smiles. back to my cooking and cleaning barefoot.
back to my cooking and cleaning barefoot.
After paying all the taxes we get hit with - barefoot is what we can afford!

rolleyes.gif
There was one innkeeper on here who you would have made insane. She constantly (I mean had it on all the time) tracked every move anyone made on her website, while they were on there. She would have had your address and phone number before you even called if you were on her site that much.
I hope people never find out that is possible - they would never browse again. I would be appalled to know someone did that to me. And that is one place I would NEVER go. Until I book in, who I am is none of their business. I like to window shop.

rolleyes.gif
I hope people never find out that is possible - they would never browse again. I would be appalled to know someone did that to me. And that is one place I would NEVER go. Until I book in, who I am is none of their business. I like to window shop.
gillumhouse said:
I looked at that website, from this forum, and was immediately notified that it was known to her I had looked at that website.
shades_smile.gif

rolleyes.gif
gillumhouse said:
I looked at that website, from this forum, and was immediately notified that it was known to her I had looked at that website.
shades_smile.gif

I remember. It made me feel Big Brother was here and felt creepy. IF that much info was felt to be needed, the smart thing would have been to not broadcast it. Too much time on hand to me. I would not have time to look at all that info.

I don't advertise with my local chamber because it is way to expensive. So, after reading most of your comments I will probably drop one or two of the local/state sites and put that money towards more online sites. Thanks everyone.

Good points made here... get a tracking program to verify what directories & other sites are producing for you.
I have to chime in here about local tourist and chamber type organizations. I too were members of the the local chamber and the state tourism sites. Neither produced business for me, wasted money in my opinion.
The chamber (here) only thinks local - period and it requires lots of man hours going to events to keep your name and face in front of them, but this only helps IF they are needing rooms. If you are not in there face at the right time, they will only think of the hotels - which are most likely members as well.
Our state tourism association does not produce but a dozen or so visitors to my site; so what are the odds it produces any actual guests? The book version has only produced a hand full or so guests, these last minute bookings on the road. Our local tourism org. is paid by tourism tax dollars and no out of pocket expenses for me, which is good as it also is a non producer of real business.
In my opinion the web is the #1 business producer... Put a good chunk into making your website the BEST it can be, then promote the heck out of it using the best of the best directories and other sources - whether it be Google Adwords, Facebook or other sites where sponsored ads produce for your area..
Absolutely get a tracking program and check your stats but don't become obsessed with it that you forget the big picture - service and quality - being the best that you can be. :) If you forget that, it won't matter how they found you because they won't be back and they'll let everyone know that you didn't meet their expectations.
I never joined the Chamber here - here it is a bunch of friends who have figured out a reason to hang out for breakfasts and evening socials. And of course the meetings are always at a time when B&B owners are working. I took a small business workshop sponsored by them because I wanted the information on what to do here. They did not have any of that and I probably could have done a better job teaching the workshop. All of the information was out of date.
Took me forever to get the C&VB to list me on their site and this was after casts of thousands came here to tour the properties. Callers looking for lodging were generally referred to the hotels and the B&Bs were overlooked. I had guests tell me this after they had called and were frustrated and then found us online. When the president of the C&VB asked me why I never made their GM or Director of Sale meetings, I told him that it was because they hold them at 9 am and I am serving breakfast. dur.
State tourism info center here also didn't get it that I couldn't accommodate people who are driving into town late at night and also that generally speaking, those folks are the type that are just looking for a place to lay their head for the night and don't care about the "inn" experience even if I could take them.
Seems like now that putting your efforts into free online sites and social media is really the way to go. Even my tried and true B&B guests didn't find us via a B&B directory, they just did a search for B&Bs in our city. If you want local folks, then word of mouth and networking with the places that can actually send you business worked for me.

rolleyes.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
rolleyes.gif
No, you are not the worst nightmare, we love you! We love that you do your research and are excited to be with us (at our inn). We ARE listed everywhere, and we hope you found us everywhere, and said "Hey there is that inn again, must be pretty neat! I think I will book a stay there." :)
I agree, JB, 100%! Those types of folks have found what they were looking for and will innjoy the experience!

rolleyes.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
rolleyes.gif
I agree, JB, 100%! Those types of folks have found what they were looking for and will innjoy the experience!
I chose an Inn based on location if I'm concerned with walking ( I've only made one error, website used words like 'close' and 'near' & I ended up 20 miles from where I wanted to be, but the Inn was wonderful.) Otherwise, I try to ask around about the neighborhood ~ usually, it's my daughter and me traveling.
Most of the time I look at the furniture. I like to flop on the couch or a big chair and read, I don't want a room with wicker couches or stiff, period type chairs. Just my preference and not anything an Innkeeper would ever know about. So, I spend a lot of time on the picture pages.

rolleyes.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
rolleyes.gif
I chose an Inn based on location if I'm concerned with walking ( I've only made one error, website used words like 'close' and 'near' & I ended up 20 miles from where I wanted to be, but the Inn was wonderful.) Otherwise, I try to ask around about the neighborhood ~ usually, it's my daughter and me traveling.
Most of the time I look at the furniture. I like to flop on the couch or a big chair and read, I don't want a room with wicker couches or stiff, period type chairs. Just my preference and not anything an Innkeeper would ever know about. So, I spend a lot of time on the picture pages.
Gingerbread Latte said:
There are google maps for near and close. To the innkeeper being in proximity for bookings for events might be very near. Case in point, we fill up every year as we are just up the road from a famous and popular NASCAR track. No we are not walkable, but it is our track and it is near and close, that being 30 minutes. So sometimes proximity is given for reasons other than your own stay. We are no where near VA Tech, but we have guests here for graduation weekends. We let them know, and most already know this as they are trying to find a needle in a haystack at that point.
I am not fond of wicker either. But some people love it.
You will concur how important the photos are, they need to be clear and large enough to take in the detail. But don't expect the same quilt. Guests get irritated about that, many inns who pay prof photog and webmasters cannot just call them back in when a prev guest bleeds all over a quilt and it has to be replaced, like RIGHT NOW.

rolleyes.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
rolleyes.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
There are google maps for near and close. To the innkeeper being in proximity for bookings for events might be very near. Case in point, we fill up every year as we are just up the road from a famous and popular NASCAR track. No we are not walkable, but it is our track and it is near and close, that being 30 minutes. So sometimes proximity is given for reasons other than your own stay. We are no where near VA Tech, but we have guests here for graduation weekends. We let them know, and most already know this as they are trying to find a needle in a haystack at that point.
You will concur how important the photos are, they need to be clear and large enough to take in the detail. But don't expect the same quilt. Guests get irritated about that, many inns who pay prof photog and webmasters cannot just call them back in when a prev guest bleeds all over a quilt and it has to be replaced, like RIGHT NOW.
Haha ~ I can't imagine being upset about the decor. I can live with anything for one night, but if I'm staying a week or so, I'll ask if the furniture is the same as the pictures.
When I encounter people who are that obsessive, I just wonder what their daily life is like.... they must be a PLEASURE to be around.

rolleyes.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
rolleyes.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
Haha ~ I can't imagine being upset about the decor. I can live with anything for one night, but if I'm staying a week or so, I'll ask if the furniture is the same as the pictures.
When I encounter people who are that obsessive, I just wonder what their daily life is like.... they must be a PLEASURE to be around.
Gingerbread Latte said:
This is what I say...innkeepers need to make sure what they have on offer is what they have on offer! People have camera phones and can easily compare apples to oranges these days. So overselling your Inn is just plain stupidity. Fortunately and also unfortunately, most do not photograph as well as they look! Trust me when I say one little item on a nightstand can ruin a whole photo and distract people. So to get it just right takes work. This is why "staging" is so important for our photos.
But there are those who dream of being someplace else...they think about it all winter long while snowed in at home...longing for this trip they have planned. So when they show up they say (and they have like the couple from Ohio) "I thought the bedspread was earthtones? This one is yellow with lilacs" It is not easy to explain to people why it is not the same one in the photo, they have no idea, why is it not the same. Or "The bed was not facing this way on line" They are fixated on their vacation and a room photo(s).
I say this as we just redid a room and I was just walking out backwards for the final vacuum. The bed is now on a diff wall. I have never, in 7 years mentioned this room has a vaulted ceiling. NO IDEA WHY, it just skipped my mind! But I did now, no new photos, I need ALL new photos now. :)

I am lucky as one of the features of my web site means I can change any photo's when I like.

I am lucky as one of the features of my web site means I can change any photo's when I like..
I am lucky as one of the features of my web site means I can change any photo's when I like.
language barrier. sorry, let me explain better... :)
do you have new photos each and every time to make a change in a room. that is what I am talking about. Yes change some pix on the website keep the content fresh. I was referring to the work involved to get accurate photos, as the rooms change all the time.

rolleyes.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
rolleyes.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
Gingerbread Latte said:
This is what I say...innkeepers need to make sure what they have on offer is what they have on offer! People have camera phones and can easily compare apples to oranges these days. So overselling your Inn is just plain stupidity. Fortunately and also unfortunately, most do not photograph as well as they look! Trust me when I say one little item on a nightstand can ruin a whole photo and distract people. So to get it just right takes work. This is why "staging" is so important for our photos.
But there are those who dream of being someplace else...they think about it all winter long while snowed in at home...longing for this trip they have planned. So when they show up they say (and they have like the couple from Ohio) "I thought the bedspread was earthtones? This one is yellow with lilacs" It is not easy to explain to people why it is not the same one in the photo, they have no idea, why is it not the same. Or "The bed was not facing this way on line" They are fixated on their vacation and a room photo(s).
I say this as we just redid a room and I was just walking out backwards for the final vacuum. The bed is now on a diff wall. I have never, in 7 years mentioned this room has a vaulted ceiling. NO IDEA WHY, it just skipped my mind! But I did now, no new photos, I need ALL new photos now. :)
It is odd about the comforters. I had a guest argue that I changed their room and they wanted the one they picked, the one with the red comforter! Well, the red comforter was destroyed by a guest with nail polish remover. Do I tell them that? Do I say I changed the decor? The same guests who don't even notice the decor in a hotel are very picky about what they remember seeing in the photo because that's why they picked the room!
And we can't take new photos every time we make a 'simple' change like a comforter!
But, they should be somewhat up to date. If you've done a redo and updated a lot, that needs to be shown. If you changed from sleek to frilly or vice versa, that's a big difference that needs to be shown.

Back