Advertising Dollars

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I change something big ie furniture I try and change the pic as soon as I can as it is probably an improvement to the room. Ie one time I was a bit slack and we changed a room from 2 single beds (ie 3 foot wide) to two zip and link beds so it can be a double (5foot across) or two singles and hadn't changed the pic and when i sold it the woman was complaining it wasnt a double blah so had to take the pics and put them on so she could see it lol. Only I have to be careful as people won't believe that a zip and link bed will be comfortable so I have them made up as doubles in all the pictures.

The pic may not show everything but I do NOT think that it is a bad photo, I have a small room that I cannot get a "decent" photo of but MOST people want an "idea" of what they are getting they don't need every detail.

The pic may not show everything but I do NOT think that it is a bad photo, I have a small room that I cannot get a "decent" photo of but MOST people want an "idea" of what they are getting they don't need every detail..
agoodman said:
The pic may not show everything but I do NOT think that it is a bad photo, I have a small room that I cannot get a "decent" photo of but MOST people want an "idea" of what they are getting they don't need every detail.
Thanks. :)
And yet this is a HUGE ROOM. That is part of the problem, but literally painting the last two doors last night and putting the door knobs back on today. So photos will come - later on. Just sharing that people are baffled by things not being "exactly" the way they find them in an image.
I know we have discussed if you put champagne or wine and glasses in a room will guests assume they will also get that too? So we need to be careful how we portray what we offer. It's all part of the fun!

Other than the cute guy in the pix, you're right, they look awful.

JB, go to the hardware or wallyworld and get a coulpe of those trouble lights with the big aluminum shade - they have clip grab so you can clip is on a door or something to direct the light. Use a strong bulb and have that be the light on your area rather than the lamp - try for a cross lighting using 2 of them. Trying to get the right light in my rooms - as you know - in nigh on to impossible.. I have to get new ones (lights) because the old ones wore out or something - whatever, I do not have them any more.

JB, go to the hardware or wallyworld and get a coulpe of those trouble lights with the big aluminum shade - they have clip grab so you can clip is on a door or something to direct the light. Use a strong bulb and have that be the light on your area rather than the lamp - try for a cross lighting using 2 of them. Trying to get the right light in my rooms - as you know - in nigh on to impossible.. I have to get new ones (lights) because the old ones wore out or something - whatever, I do not have them any more..
gillumhouse said:
JB, go to the hardware or wallyworld and get a coulpe of those trouble lights with the big aluminum shade - they have clip grab so you can clip is on a door or something to direct the light. Use a strong bulb and have that be the light on your area rather than the lamp - try for a cross lighting using 2 of them.
That direct light will be too strong. The JR boys suggest a strong direct light with a diffuser in front of it (melamine stapled to a frame) and a piece of whiteboard (just the foam stuff) on the other side to reflect things. That's for a closeup shot. For a full-room shot you might only want the direct lights but with the diffusers. All items that's available in the crafts section of stuffmart, I believe.

I sorry. I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. I also forgot that you have forgotten more about photography than I will ever know.
Here you are rmoving a door and I am comtemplating adding doors! BTW the wall does look nice. You have a great contractor.

The pic may not show everything but I do NOT think that it is a bad photo, I have a small room that I cannot get a "decent" photo of but MOST people want an "idea" of what they are getting they don't need every detail..
agoodman said:
And yet this is a HUGE ROOM. That is part of the problem, but literally painting the last two doors last night and putting the door knobs back on today. So photos will come - later on. Just sharing that people are baffled by things not being "exactly" the way they find them in an image.
I know we have discussed if you put champagne or wine and glasses in a room will guests assume they will also get that too? So we need to be careful how we portray what we offer. It's all part of the fun!
I assume if you leave cute guy in for scale, they will want cute guy?
regular_smile.gif

agoodman said:
I assume if you leave cute guy in for scale, they will want cute guy?
regular_smile.gif

Now there's a marketing idea!
wow.gif

I watched a video on youtube that was linked from here on how to take pictures of B&B's and they said make it intimate. Skip the big room pics and get in close pics that represent a moment that the guest could see themselves in. I have yet to do it of course but i remember the idea.

Where is the picture? I would like to see it but I am puzzled. I don't see a link to a picture or a picture.

JB, go to the hardware or wallyworld and get a coulpe of those trouble lights with the big aluminum shade - they have clip grab so you can clip is on a door or something to direct the light. Use a strong bulb and have that be the light on your area rather than the lamp - try for a cross lighting using 2 of them. Trying to get the right light in my rooms - as you know - in nigh on to impossible.. I have to get new ones (lights) because the old ones wore out or something - whatever, I do not have them any more..
I took the pixs off. I will replace when I get some real photos. Some good photos!

You mention the "big 3"... I am new to the business. May I ask what they are? Thanks.

Also can I hire a half naked attractive gardener to stand in the garden shots? lol may plants are all squased and that may distract from them lol

You mention the "big 3"... I am new to the business. May I ask what they are? Thanks..
The best advertising dollars spent would be to have online reservations for your guests. It is an amenity, and they will appreciate it. Esp if they are on diff time zones.

You mention the "big 3"... I am new to the business. May I ask what they are? Thanks..
elkems said:
You mention the "big 3"... I am new to the business. May I ask what they are? Thanks.
For most of us, the 'Big 3' are the following:
  • Bed and Breakfast.com
  • BBonline.com
  • Bnbfinder.com
Others to consider:
  • iloveinns.com
  • lanier.com
  • your local chamber
  • your state's B&B association website
If you are not listed on any B&B websites, the best way to figure out which ones are right for you is to do a search like you're a guest trying to find a place to stay in your area. You're near SF, right? Is that a good market to try to capture or are you too far out for someone who actually wants SF? (You answer that to yourself, I don't need to know!) So, as an example, search on whatever town/city makes sense + the state + 'B&B' and see which directories show up. Those are the ones you want, if you want any.

Also can I hire a half naked attractive gardener to stand in the garden shots? lol may plants are all squased and that may distract from them lol.
Also can I hire a half naked attractive gardener to stand in the garden shots? lol may plants are all squased and that may distract from them lol
This made me laugh out loud!!
shades_smile.gif

Back