Advertising for sale

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
We advertise in our BIG 'state' magazine that goes out to TONS (thosands, and thosands) of readers. coming up they are doing a BIG special on B&B's.
I'm seriously thinking of not just advertising, but saying we are for sale! what do you all think?

This all depends on if you want to stay busy while you are waiting for a buyer. Stating you are 4 sale in a special designed for travelers is only going to wart off potential guests. IMHO anyway! This is not a place where prospective buyers are going to look, only those that sit around our breakfast tables and say 'when I retire I think I want to have a B&B'. Those are not buyers they are dreamers - that is until they find out they will be working harder than ever before.
cry_smile.gif

This all depends on if you want to stay busy while you are waiting for a buyer. Stating you are 4 sale in a special designed for travelers is only going to wart off potential guests. IMHO anyway! This is not a place where prospective buyers are going to look, only those that sit around our breakfast tables and say 'when I retire I think I want to have a B&B'. Those are not buyers they are dreamers - that is until they find out they will be working harder than ever before.
cry_smile.gif
copperhead said:
- that is until they find out they will be working harder than ever before.
cry_smile.gif
But kinda likin' it. We're strange people, I guess, but we do get that sense of accomplishment. I got my first tip Sunday. Found $5 left on the desk. Where I shop, that buys mighty fine wine!

I agree with CH. Who's the target market for the publication? I don't see the point of advertising to travelers that you're trying to get out of the business. What if you're suddenly successful right before their big event?
As an aside, where IS your place being advertised? (I'm not being provocative; I really don't know.) Is it being marketed somewhere targeted toward buyers of bed and breakfasts, or with a local agent who is targeting (local) residential buyers? B&B buyers are more willing to relocate to the "right" property, and understand it might be anywhere. They need a national search, but they're searching for B&B's; they don't have the time to search every property listing across the country that might, could, maybe have the potential to be a B&B. On the other hand, the pool of buyers looking for a B&B that is being marketed only to a local community is pretty small. Maybe somebody just wants to buy the house as a residence. In that case, you're probably priced way out of line for the market because you're selling a business, of which the real estate is just a part. It's the only part that a residential buyer will find value in, though. Something to think about.

Only if you can spin it - 'Don't only STAY at a B&B, OWN the lifestyle you love!'

It's possible you'll get bookings from it of people that are curious and might suck up all your time wanting to ask questions and get tours etc. Just a consideration... If they are planning a trip to your area and have a hint that 'when I retire I think I want to have a B&B', they might choose to stay with you just to take advantage of an opportunity to do a Vulcan mind meld on ya!

I have considered this and batted it around a lot. It is NOT GOOD to let any guests know in advance you are for sale. They will not stay with you, they will assume thread bare linens and deferred maintenance. As it told by so many guests we have had who experienced an inn for sale elsewhere...
I have had guests KNOW we are for sale and question me point blank. It is like we are committing some sort of sin, in their eyes. Like walking away from a happy marriage or something.
Don't do it.
Even when I want to post we are for sale, I have to be careful. In a for sale listing, I have had to ensure it DOES NOT LIST our B&B Name. They can click the link, they can know all about us, but not the name. Amazing how quickly a for sale listing can rise to the top of Google search results!
Sell to the people who are looking to buy, they will search the B&B for sale sites. Innsales.com is one I recommend, which goes to Aspirings via PAII and elsewhere. It has been revamped recently and has some great features for sellers and buyers!
http://innsales.com/

I have considered this and batted it around a lot. It is NOT GOOD to let any guests know in advance you are for sale. They will not stay with you, they will assume thread bare linens and deferred maintenance. As it told by so many guests we have had who experienced an inn for sale elsewhere...
I have had guests KNOW we are for sale and question me point blank. It is like we are committing some sort of sin, in their eyes. Like walking away from a happy marriage or something.
Don't do it.
Even when I want to post we are for sale, I have to be careful. In a for sale listing, I have had to ensure it DOES NOT LIST our B&B Name. They can click the link, they can know all about us, but not the name. Amazing how quickly a for sale listing can rise to the top of Google search results!
Sell to the people who are looking to buy, they will search the B&B for sale sites. Innsales.com is one I recommend, which goes to Aspirings via PAII and elsewhere. It has been revamped recently and has some great features for sellers and buyers!
http://innsales.com/.
I can still find the 'inn for sale' listing for my place! We bought it 9 years ago and it's still findable. It shows 'sold' but you have to go into the broker's website to find that.

Don't do it.
Good GRIEF! Looking at the map on the home page would make you think just about everything is up for sale in the US! :-(

Don't do it.
Good GRIEF! Looking at the map on the home page would make you think just about everything is up for sale in the US! :-(
Isn't it? Isn't it always a matter of price?

Don't do it.
I agree EN, I couldn't believe that map!
I went to my state and saw the names listed and it actually made me feel better. There were maybe only 2 of them that actually make any significant income to pay their bills. Made me feel better because when/if we ever list ours, buyers will only be comparing us to very few others if they're looking for a place that can sustain itself.

The last two B&Bs I've stayed in have been up for sale, though I didn't find out until I got there. I'll bet many others were too, I just didn't find out.
By the way, my place is for sale too...for a price ;-)

Back