Advertisments on blogs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Estes Park does an amazing job of blogging both about running an inn, and how they interact with guests. Certainly there is a fine line between telling a story and invading someone's privacy, but if people weren't interested in personal interaction with innkeepers in some way they would just stay at a chain hotel right?
http://www.bedandbreakfastinestespark.com/.
Hi IvyLee. I looked at your example. I'm sorry but there is way tooo much info for my taste. I love dogs, but I've been reading for 15 minutes and all I know is that the dog has seisures and it has been very tramatic for the owners and I am quite certain they are nice people...I am also quite certain I will not be first on their mind.
So then I keep reading.... stacking the woodpile? prepping for a wedding that's coming? I'm 5 posts in and I still know nothing of the area. If it weren't for a faint orange on yellow tag line about life in the Rockies I would have no idea what part of the country we are in ... reading more.... I now know Steve and Pearl got married with a bunch of grandkids running around...and Andrea and Michael come every year to celebrate their anniversary and Andrea hates Obama. I now know way too much about people who are not really of any interest to me. I still know nothing of the area and little about the inn, other than the innkeepers likely have no regard for my privacy. I even clicked the photo where it said "click the photo to learn about what to pack forwhen coming to Estes in the Spring and Summer" and was greeted with the larger version of the photo.
To my mind this is a great example of people who like to blog about anything and everything of interest to THEM. There is no crime in that. It just does nothing to interest me in staying with them.
OK, I had a whole post in a similar vein (except I liked the little innkeeper stuff about the cast iron pans and 'Action Figure Innkeeper') and I must have deleted it without posting. Thanks for saying what I wanted to about the dog. My dog has seizures but it's not on the blog. And my guests like my dog, too.
Your dog has seizures? And you've never told us that? My goodness!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
(My first smiley, just for you!) Hmmm... or maybe you did mention that once in passing...
Don't suppose you want to know about the boy who has to wear rubber pants....
wink_smile.gif

=) Kk.
First and last mention..yes, my dog has epilepsy. She had a violent seizure about 3 years ago and we thought she was going to die right in front of us. After a certain point, the drs said she had to have meds to control the seizures. (I've heard, to the contrary, that the seizures can be controlled thru diet not just meds but I don't even control my own health issues thru diet.
sad_smile.gif
)
So, if we're swapping dog stories at the breakfast table I will tell guests that the dog has seizures. They tell me their dog story, I share one of mine. We have a vet who stays with us and she always brings a toy for the dog. I do mention in the newsletter that the dog is alive and well. She's appeared in the blog when we go someplace that allows dogs so guests can see where they can take their dogs when they're here.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this elsewhere, but it's here now for those who don't know. I usually don't tell dog stories, I cry.
Bree said:
I usually don't tell dog stories, I cry.
You cry instead of telling stories? You cry because you told the story? You cry because the story is so sad/happy? Frankly, crying sounds more interesting than dog stories....
=) Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
I usually don't tell dog stories, I cry.
You cry instead of telling stories? You cry because you told the story? You cry because the story is so sad/happy? Frankly, crying sounds more interesting than dog stories....
=) Kk.
"Because dog stories make me cry, I don't usually tell them."
Picky, picky grammarian...
teeth_smile.gif
You're as bad as I am some days...

I think Estes Park does an amazing job of blogging both about running an inn, and how they interact with guests. Certainly there is a fine line between telling a story and invading someone's privacy, but if people weren't interested in personal interaction with innkeepers in some way they would just stay at a chain hotel right?
Certainly there is a fine line between telling a story and invading someone's privacy, but if people weren't interested in personal interaction with innkeepers in some way they would just stay at a chain hotel right?
I am confused, interaction with innkeepers is not posting info about guests. Yeah, I have plenty of fun guest stories, and I won't be sharing any on our blog. I am here ANON for the most part to share these fun guest stories. I think it is just asking for trouble mentioning any guest in a blog or any place.

IvyLee said:
...but if people weren't interested in personal interaction with innkeepers in some way they would just stay at a chain hotel right?
I think this is the tipping point for me. People are interested in the interaction with the innkeeper. Where does the innkeeper recommend we eat? What does the innkeeper recomment we see? As a traveler I'm interested in their intimate knowledge of the area, but I am not looking for them to know all about me or put photos of me on their blog. As an innkeeper I might have some interest in the behind the scenes stuff, but I don't think most guests want that.
As an innkeeper I might have some interest in the behind the scenes stuff, but I don't think most guests want that.
Example: Guests this morning love dogs, not all our guests love dogs, and in fact some hate dogs. Our dog decided to push her way in to beg. The guests asked about her and were told a few anectdotal stories - like when she came into the room covered in large colorful marker spots on her back and the felt pens were nowhere to be found (until later of course, in the garden).
Other guests do not want to hear about your dog, your kid, your job before innkeeping, how you make beds, how you run the business. Some do, most don't.
I remember a B&B (now sold) where the innkeepers SAT WITH US at the table after we finally escaped our jobs for an anniversary getaway, and spewed - yes that is the word of choice - spewed all the details about their inn and how they run it. They didn't know we owned one as well, and it was nauseating. We wanted to be alone. They are the type inns that SEND YOU RUNNING to a hotel for privacy.

Back