Advice on switching to a new online reservation system

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtxu

Reaction score
Need advice. Apologies in advance since I know this has been asked a thousand times. We have 18 units.
We are coming to the end of our contract with Webervations. I see ResKey and MyAllocator are highly recommended, but a lot of the posts I found are somewhat old (2008/2009) and wanted to see if there are updates, pros and cons, or other suggestions. Also, suggestions on how to make the transition as smooth as possible. We don't fancy moving again.
We are also currently signed up with bandbdotcom. We manually sync the two systems. While commission heavy, and we don't like them, we do currently get a fair amount of business from them. Not decided for sure, but we are thinking of staying with them for another year until we feel our bookings are more stable from our own sources.
Thanks for any input and positive advice.

Talk to John. I exported all my data to Excel from the old system and he imported it all for me.

Following suggestions here on the forum I started using Reservation Key in June, there is/was a 30 day free trial so it wouldn't cost you to try it out. I had only used pencil and paper prior to Reservation Key and so far still use it as a backup system (my other half is not comfortable with computers, yet). Thus far we only book from our own website so I don't use MyAllocator, but ResKey gets my vote.

mtxu said:
I see ResKey and MyAllocator are highly recommended...
You only need MyAllocator if you're listed on Bookingdotcom or similar sites. MyAllocator can pick up your calendar from ReservationKey and keep your Booking calendar updated automatically. If you don't need an external connection like to Booking, you only need ResKey.

And the "John" mentioned by Generic is the man who runs ResKey.

I began a post 1 week ago about ReservationKey.com
Every time I see a user name such as yours I am suspicious, sorry, but it is usually a fishing expedition.

I moved from Webervations to Reservation Key back in 2011. Simple and had help from John.

My suggestion would be to download the system and try it out for a month. Granted you will not really have time to get deep into all the nuts and bolts but you still can see all the reports and tracking that can be done.

I have also read a lot of good things about Think Reservations in the past year. So you may want to look at that as well to compare.

You mention also using bandbdot com and syncing manually to their system and that they bring you a lot of business. I thought that Webervations, being one of their own products, provided direct linking on their site???
If you are using them to link up with Expedia (and that being your source of bookings) I just want to let you know that Expedia is now set up to let you link with them directly. It will drop your commission from 25-30% down to 15%. Contact Expedia directly for info as to how to make that happen.

I'm coming here for the same reasons... though I'm on Rezo GT, and have a few more units then you at 26. We are also on BandBdotcom and the expedia network through Rezo. I've read through many of the postings here about software... much of it is outdated though except for the few from this year that discuss ResKey, MyAllocator, and ThinkReservations. I attempted to give the ResKey trial a shot this past spring, but business got too busy and I couldn't really devote the time to really checking it out. Here I am again, between seasons and trying to come up with a plan. I could switch to Rezo Web.... I'm still very intrigued by ResKey and now they say to use with MyAllocator (which I know nothing about!).... but am trying to make sure I research all my options and make the best decision (like everyone else). Is there anything else out there worth looking into that is similar to these???

I'm coming here for the same reasons... though I'm on Rezo GT, and have a few more units then you at 26. We are also on BandBdotcom and the expedia network through Rezo. I've read through many of the postings here about software... much of it is outdated though except for the few from this year that discuss ResKey, MyAllocator, and ThinkReservations. I attempted to give the ResKey trial a shot this past spring, but business got too busy and I couldn't really devote the time to really checking it out. Here I am again, between seasons and trying to come up with a plan. I could switch to Rezo Web.... I'm still very intrigued by ResKey and now they say to use with MyAllocator (which I know nothing about!).... but am trying to make sure I research all my options and make the best decision (like everyone else). Is there anything else out there worth looking into that is similar to these???.
Well, I was on Rezo. I exported most of my data to an excel spreadsheet with John was able to import for me into RKey. I called up X and BK and got direct contracts with them. Hooked up MyA with them, cut my expenses enormously. Recently I started trying the connection to B&B.com through MyA as well. So I'm at $50 a month ($25 for RK and $25 for MyA) and give X and BK much lower commission because B&B was so HIGH. I use RK to send out a second direct confirmation to guests, so they know we got it.
There are a few other packages around, if you want to spend more money.

If you are somewhat tech savvy, take a look at beds24. It is rather cumbersome to set up, but I think it works well and is quite inexpensive (cost based on usage). It has an easy to implement channel manager as well.

Back