After 2 horrible years ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agoodman

Reaction score
The phone is starting to ring again like it used to do, before the economy went south. Occupancy is picking up although REVPAR lower than usual because of my long stays. Is anyone seeing the same trend i.e. a little light at the end of the tunnel?

Absolutely yes here. While 2010 was far from horrible, it was down from the previous two years and the biggest trend we saw was the last-minute bookings...even very popular weekends were booking up at the last possible minute.
Since December we've seen a LOT of advance bookings...2011 is most definitely looking great. I like it because it's just so much easier to plan when you know ahead of time what you're dealing with. We had a lot of staffing issues with all the last minute stuff and I will be happy to get everyone set on their "normal" schedules again.

Absolutely yes here. While 2010 was far from horrible, it was down from the previous two years and the biggest trend we saw was the last-minute bookings...even very popular weekends were booking up at the last possible minute.
Since December we've seen a LOT of advance bookings...2011 is most definitely looking great. I like it because it's just so much easier to plan when you know ahead of time what you're dealing with. We had a lot of staffing issues with all the last minute stuff and I will be happy to get everyone set on their "normal" schedules again..
Don Draper said:
I will be happy to get everyone set on their "normal" schedules again.
I noticed you put quotes around "normal"...innkeeping is definitely not normal :)

We have definately had a better Jan than last year and we are booked up for events that last year we were selling last minute and to walk in's! (and they are in July) so I am pleased with that. It comforts me to have the little boxes in my diary filled up! Plus have been elected to the B&B & Guest House trade association committee so I am hoping to do some good work there and DH is going to join the Chamber of Commerce on our behalf as well.

2011 is a huge "commemoration" of sorts for certain inns near historical sites.

We are down to one B&B here. They rarely seem to have guests and are trying to do more and more long term rentals. I think that their particular problem is that there's much competition from new hotels with more amenities, service, and better rates.

Plus as mentioned elsewhere am super hyped about changing two bathrooms. If this year is a good one am going to try and get a third in wish me luck!

We were steady increase for the last two years I think because the wine country here is getting a lot of press coverage and because we are 1.5 hours (outside of rush hour) from DC. But right now we are getting lots of calls/bookings for the wine tours, which also fills our B&B.
Riki

Back