After 3 nights...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't do the dishes in the cottages, and like you DB, the guests wash them. I have never had a complaint about any of this; however, I will change the way "we do business" and make dang sure that every piece of china will be looked at before we let someone in.
She came to the office this morning and informed me that they would be leaving today, they didn't need the 4th night. I knew that to begin with, so it had nothing to do with the dirty plate.
She included some smarta$$ remark at her goodbye by saying " now you have half a day to bring the china up to par". All I could do was smile at her and show her the bird in my mind.
And may I add, I am somewhat of a germaphobe - I would never take anyone's word for it. I would wash every dish and piece of silverware before ever using it. But that's just me ;).
One of the reasons I like cheap sets like Corelle or Glass. Durable and inexpensive enough to replace at a whim.
Now, if I could only get people to stop stealing forks and spoons.
And the wine openers!

We don't do the dishes in the cottages, and like you DB, the guests wash them. I have never had a complaint about any of this; however, I will change the way "we do business" and make dang sure that every piece of china will be looked at before we let someone in.
She came to the office this morning and informed me that they would be leaving today, they didn't need the 4th night. I knew that to begin with, so it had nothing to do with the dirty plate.
She included some smarta$$ remark at her goodbye by saying " now you have half a day to bring the china up to par". All I could do was smile at her and show her the bird in my mind.
And may I add, I am somewhat of a germaphobe - I would never take anyone's word for it. I would wash every dish and piece of silverware before ever using it. But that's just me ;).
One of the reasons I like cheap sets like Corelle or Glass. Durable and inexpensive enough to replace at a whim.
aww Use plastic forks they will stay! for sure. LOL Class or..... common. Our loss is pairing knives.
I'm so out of teaspoons that it's not even funny!
Baby Puss said:
Ha! how about pillows, yes, another batch of pillows gone and their pillows from home have made their way into my pillow cases. Magic
Ok Here is my solution no strange pillows come any where near my door or bed. Peroid.!
You don't like it TOO bad! I am not going to take a chance with having un wanted visitors.

aww Use plastic forks they will stay! for sure. LOL Class or..... common. Our loss is pairing knives.
Baby Puss said:
Ha! how about pillows, yes, another batch of pillows gone and their pillows from home have made their way into my pillow cases. Magic
Ok Here is my solution no strange pillows come any where near my door or bed. Peroid.!
You don't like it TOO bad! I am not going to take a chance with having un wanted visitors.
Flower said:
Yes but then you need to have your guests come and stay in the buff, because those little unwanted visitors also come in the house on items of clothing ;)

And the wine openers!
It's funny, but I think I've only lost one wine opener. I bought them at the dollar store and I put a sticker with our name. I guess they are too cheap to steal, but they seem to do the job.

And the wine openers!
We get ours free from American Express Merchant Supplies - branded but I don't care. Had a chap come from the self catering place behind us to ask if he could borrow one as not suppled - gave him 4 and said put them in the drawer for the next people.

Baby Puss said:
You need a sign: These pillows may be purchased for $XX. Any pillows found in pillowcases that are NOT our pillows will be billed $XX + $10 service fee. (Your shopping time must be worth at least that if not more.)
And to think, they are nothing special. I gave up on buying special pillows a long time ago.
I am just stumped and so surprised at people. You would think they are low lives. Well they might be but they drive swanky cars, wear expensive clothing, are professionals
As long as a pillow is washable (some of the new ones aren't) you can soak it in a tub of dish soap (so that the soap mats the fibers). Then wash. Dry in the dryer with some tennis balls. They should come back pretty well. Heck, they might want to steal them back the next time.
Stolen from XXXX B&B is also nice to write on the pillows. Means they have to get a thick pillow protector to hide their thievery. (Write on both sides and put a thick pillow protector.... of course then they may steal the pillow protector as well.)
Baby Puss said:
As long as a pillow is washable (some of the new ones aren't) you can soak it in a tub of dish soap (so that the soap mats the fibers). Then wash. Dry in the dryer with some tennis balls. They should come back pretty well. Heck, they might want to steal them back the next time.
Stolen from XXXX B&B is also nice to write on the pillows. Means they have to get a thick pillow protector to hide their thievery. (Write on both sides and put a thick pillow protector.... of course then they may steal the pillow protector as well.)
I was thinking - how about 'Thou shan't not steal'?

Baby Puss said:
Flower said:
Yes but then you need to have your guests come and stay in the buff, because those little unwanted visitors also come in the house on items of clothing ;)
Now won't that be a sight to see LOL times two

And the wine openers!
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
And the nice wooden hangers! Had a completely clueless (my least favorite type of guest) couple last weekend. Came down for brekkie 45 minutes late and the guy says, "Oh, isn't anyone else eating breakfast?" Well, Sherlock, everyone else ate an hour ago! So, unfazed, they just sit down. Of course I make them breakfast. Then, they check out an hour late and she's walking right out the door with his shirt hanging on MY hanger! It was on a dry-cleaning hanger when they came in and, sure enough, that hanger was left in the closet. To make matters just a little more interesting, she left her wallet/pocketbook and by the time she checked the voicemail and text I sent her, they were already home! GRRR!! So, I had to mail that back, but you'd better believe that I charged her cc the full $25 it cost me!

Baby Puss said:
You need a sign: These pillows may be purchased for $XX. Any pillows found in pillowcases that are NOT our pillows will be billed $XX + $10 service fee. (Your shopping time must be worth at least that if not more.)
And to think, they are nothing special. I gave up on buying special pillows a long time ago.
I am just stumped and so surprised at people. You would think they are low lives. Well they might be but they drive swanky cars, wear expensive clothing, are professionals
Baby Puss said:
Morticia said:
brilliant
tounge_smile.gif

And the wine openers!
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
And the nice wooden hangers! Had a completely clueless (my least favorite type of guest) couple last weekend. Came down for brekkie 45 minutes late and the guy says, "Oh, isn't anyone else eating breakfast?" Well, Sherlock, everyone else ate an hour ago! So, unfazed, they just sit down. Of course I make them breakfast. Then, they check out an hour late and she's walking right out the door with his shirt hanging on MY hanger! It was on a dry-cleaning hanger when they came in and, sure enough, that hanger was left in the closet. To make matters just a little more interesting, she left her wallet/pocketbook and by the time she checked the voicemail and text I sent her, they were already home! GRRR!! So, I had to mail that back, but you'd better believe that I charged her cc the full $25 it cost me!
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
oh the stollen hangers. I have a budget for replacing hangers. Grrrrr. I had one couple leave 35 wire hangers. Granted they stay 3 weeks each year and they love my hangers. They are lucky that I like them or...

And the wine openers!
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
oh the stollen hangers. I have a budget for replacing hangers. Grrrrr. I had one couple leave 35 wire hangers. Granted they stay 3 weeks each year and they love my hangers. They are lucky that I like them or...
Iris said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
When that forum was new about what you buy regularly that most people buy once a year, etc. I asked Grandma what she remembers. She said "Hangers. And each room had a different color." When I arrived the closets have nice wooden hangers with a circle instead of a hook to hang it up. If they want the hanger they need to pull down the rod.... You can get them at hospitality places.

And the wine openers!
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
I buy mine at the dollar store. I don't get many taken, maybe because they are cheap, but I throw out an awful lot of metal hangers. The government changed their specs a few years ago, plastic ones are now allowed. Still looking for ones that say "I'm going to hell for stealing this hanger from _____ "

And the wine openers!
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
Iris said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
When that forum was new about what you buy regularly that most people buy once a year, etc. I asked Grandma what she remembers. She said "Hangers. And each room had a different color." When I arrived the closets have nice wooden hangers with a circle instead of a hook to hang it up. If they want the hanger they need to pull down the rod.... You can get them at hospitality places.
this is strange But I painted my hangers a Pink and so far Crossing my fingers they have stayed ??? do know why either. Maybe people don't like pink .They may stand out to much. try painting them a bright Lime green .

And the wine openers!
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
Iris said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Anon Inn said:
And the wine openers!
this is strange But I painted my hangers a Pink and so far Crossing my fingers they have stayed ??? do know why either. Maybe people don't like pink .They may stand out to much. try painting them a bright Lime green .
Used to be a professor at my university who had painted his bicycle a phosphorescent orange. I do not think anyone would think of stealing it...

I know of female mechanics and carpenters who paint their tools pink so that the guys on the crew won't accidentally walk off with them...

Back