Again with the emails...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so if you accept pets how can you tell them to stay off furniture and out of the shower? They are staying in a bed and breakfast for goodness sake!
Just asking, as it makes no sense to me, if they are accepted then they are accepted. I know we go over this too often on here. What dog is going to stay off the bed? No dog I have ever met..
Joey Bloggs said:
Okay so if you accept pets how can you tell them to stay off furniture and out of the shower? They are staying in a bed and breakfast for goodness sake!
Just asking, as it makes no sense to me, if they are accepted then they are accepted. I know we go over this too often on here. What dog is going to stay off the bed? No dog I have ever met.
As a former breeder and exhibitor of German Shepherds, I know for a fact that dogs and children are only as well behaved as you insist they be. In this business, everyones child is perfect and no ones dog ever barks...right?
Right....that's why I take a $500 (refundable) pet security deposit. We do a walk through at check out with the guest to ensure that they are leaving the room in the same good condition that they found it in. We suggest pet owners bring a travel kennel or their pets bed with them and also provide furniture throws and pet towels for wet or muddy feet.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Just asking, as it makes no sense to me, if they are accepted then they are accepted. I know we go over this too often on here. What dog is going to stay off the bed? No dog I have ever met.
As a former breeder and exhibitor of German Shepherds, I know for a fact that dogs and children are only as well behaved as you insist they be. In this business, everyones child is perfect and no ones dog ever barks...right?
Right....that's why I take a $500 (refundable) pet security deposit. We do a walk through at check out with the guest to ensure that they are leaving the room in the same good condition that they found it in. We suggest pet owners bring a travel kennel or their pets bed with them and also provide furniture throws and pet towels for wet or muddy feet.
I was commenting when you were. $500 would make ME leave our well behaved dog at home. Works for me! She is kennel trained, but would love to sleep on a big comfy bed.
devil_smile.gif

See $20 or $25 is incentive for me to bring this dog with us, as you can pay that to have her boarded and locked up and have no fun. Just as an fyi for anyone who charges $20 or $25, that is an INVITATION (to me as a dog owner)
Now you may think it's an invite but I've had very unhappy callers who think 'pet friendly' means 'your dog stays free.'
One woman said, 'For $25 I expect you to feed and walk the dog, same as the kennel at home that only charges me $10.' She left her dog at the kennel. But that's the sort of thing we hear.

Just asking, as it makes no sense to me, if they are accepted then they are accepted. I know we go over this too often on here. What dog is going to stay off the bed? No dog I have ever met..
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I was commenting when you were. $500 would make ME leave our well behaved dog at home. Works for me! She is kennel trained, but would love to sleep on a big comfy bed.
devil_smile.gif

See $20 or $25 is incentive for me to bring this dog with us, as you can pay that to have her boarded and locked up and have no fun. Just as an fyi for anyone who charges $20 or $25, that is an INVITATION (to me as a dog owner)
Now you may think it's an invite but I've had very unhappy callers who think 'pet friendly' means 'your dog stays free.'
One woman said, 'For $25 I expect you to feed and walk the dog, same as the kennel at home that only charges me $10.' She left her dog at the kennel. But that's the sort of thing we hear.
Morticia said:
Wow....that's crazy. People amaze me.

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
devil_smile.gif

WHAT THE ?????? I would have slammed the phone in her ear. I can't believe that kind of person!!!! She can go stay in the kennel with her dog GRRRRRRR.

I have updated mine to the following, but still tweaking it:
Our pet policy is meant to ensure the comfort of all guests and to protect people, pets and property. Please review the following policies and be prepared to indicate your acceptance by signing a copy when you check-in. We do not descriminate against size or breed of dog. We welcome all well behaved pets with the following agreement:

• Advance reservations are required for all pets.
  • Guest pets must be socialized with humans and other animals. Destructive, aggressive, or uncontrollably noisy pets will not be tolerated at the Inn.
  • All shots for your pet must be current.
  • Your pet must be on a flea prevention program.
  • Pets cannot be left unattended at any time unless in a travel kennel
  • Pets must be leashed at all times when not in your room.
  • Pets are not allowed on the furniture.
  • If left alone in a guest room, your pet must be in a travel kennel and must be quiet.
  • You will be liable if your pet damages Inn property. Let us know if there are any mishaps.
  • You agree to not bathe your dog in the jacuzzi/shower or sink.
  • If one of those inevitable "accidents" occurs, please clean up after your pet immediately and notify the innkeeper.
  • Dog owners should pick up after their pets. A small garbage can for dog waste is located outside next to the porch.

Please tell us about your pet:

Pets Name: ___________________________ Breed_______________________ M F Age_______ Spayed/Neutered?: Y N

Owners Name:__________________________________Address_________________________________Contact #____________________

Signature indicating you agree to all terms and accept full responsibility for your pet: _________________________________________________

We hope you and your pet enjoy your stay..
What I found is that I was not able to control the behaviors in the room that I did not like (ie- pets on the furniture) so we give them an old blanket to throw on the bed or the chair where the dog hangs out most. That has saved me a lot of grief. Plus, I have a completely different set of bedding for days when there are pets in the room. It is much easier to wash and dry than the usual bedding.
I don't ask them to sign anything other than our usual registration form which has a short blurb about damage being caused by anyone, including pets.
Never thought to say they couldn't wash the pet in the shower! But that's a good one. More so a Jacuzzi!
In our case, our insurer has stated we cannot accept certain breeds.
For your policy, one error...'discriminate'
Morticia said:
Never thought to say they couldn't wash the pet in the shower! But that's a good one. More so a Jacuzzi!
We are within a few miles of the show grounds where the local kennel club hosts its dog shows. We have really had to put our foot down with the bathing issue. Image a soaking wet St Bernard in an 80 gallon jacuzzi tub. What does a dog do when they get wet? They shake of course. Water and hair everywhere...walls, ceilings its a mess. Trust me.
We have a small dog and she has been running in covered in red dirt/mud of late and she shakes hard to get it off herself. She is under 20 lbs, she is older than 6 months and would be the first to jump up on the bed and shake her whole body AND to lay on your pillows!
BAD DOG!
We love dogs and had 2 dogs, but that is exactly why we didn't accept dogs. :)

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
devil_smile.gif

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
People no longer amaze me.
wink_smile.gif

There is a long, involved story with that guest that went on for years. They came here for 17 years before we showed up. Their grandkids were conceived here (did I really want to know that?). They were the most unhappy family I have ever met. Together and separately there was not a smile to be had for the 2 years they stayed with us.
One year they all up and used their gift certs and we never heard from them again.
But each one that last year left us with a bad taste in our mouths and we're glad they moved on. It was as if they deliberately set out to make their last stay their worst stay. All together, I think there were 4 separate couples who came to stay. Parents, kids and then the ex spouses who came with new spouses (and all of them pregnant at the same time. New wife, old wife, sister.)

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
devil_smile.gif

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif

There is a long, involved story with that guest that went on for years. They came here for 17 years before we showed up. Their grandkids were conceived here (did I really want to know that?). They were the most unhappy family I have ever met. Together and separately there was not a smile to be had for the 2 years they stayed with us.
One year they all up and used their gift certs and we never heard from them again.
But each one that last year left us with a bad taste in our mouths and we're glad they moved on. It was as if they deliberately set out to make their last stay their worst stay. All together, I think there were 4 separate couples who came to stay. Parents, kids and then the ex spouses who came with new spouses (and all of them pregnant at the same time. New wife, old wife, sister.)
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
Ah yes, the mark of an experienced innkeeper. Crazy guests come with the territory.

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
devil_smile.gif

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
Ah yes, the mark of an experienced innkeeper. Crazy guests come with the territory.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
I am 12 years in, yet still amazed.
Here is an example: You provide a selection of coasters on top of the lace doilies that cover the tables, yet guests will move them and the lace aside to set their wet glass directly on the wood. Just freakin amazing...!

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
devil_smile.gif

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
Here is an example: You provide a selection of coasters on top of the lace doilies that cover the tables, yet guests will move them and the lace aside to set their wet glass directly on the wood. Just freakin amazing...!
OK, here's what I heard about that (doilies, coasters and wood)- I had doilies on top of one table for the coffee service, strictly to have a soft surface for the cups. Guests would put their dirty coffee spoons right on it. Because they didn't want to hurt the wood.
So, they destroyed the doilies instead.
At the tables, same thing. If there were placemats the dirty things went on the placemat. If there were no placemats they looked around for where they should put their dirty silverware. Because they didn't want to hurt the wood.
Now I have all handmade tablecloths and the dirty things go on the plates. Not too many guests cause me to have to wash every tablecloth every seating.
And yet these same people who were afraid to harm the poly'd tables are the ones who would put an ice bucket on top of the wooden windowsills and totally destroy the finish. (Still on my list of projects this spring.)
What I don't get is why a guest would think if I have oak tables in the dining room that I wouldn't have them treated so I could wash them. And why plunking a blueberry-covered spoon on a white placemat was a better option.
OK, maybe they do still amaze me...

Because people don't have a clue. They don't know.
They drink from cans and plastic/paper and do not know anything about living a real life in a real home. They eat in their cars from the drive thru with plastic forks and so-called recycled paper, they do not know what a cloth napkin is, they do not know what a coaster is, they just do not have a clue.
We live in a disposable microwavable society and it makes it very hard to run a B&B when people just don't get any of it. They complain about having to work to send their kid through college who just goes there to party and run around and get diseases - they complain about piling credit card debt and each family member must have a cell phone which includes the astronomical bill to pay each month.
Mommy doesn't cook anymore.
Daddy doesn't live there in anymore.
Grandparents never have the grandkids over, they do their own thing.
People are raising themselves these days - our guests - why don't they know? No one has shown them. We expect them to know, they don't.
Give them a weekend with Granny sitting on the front porch swing talking about life, real lemonade made from lemons in a real glass made of glass - she will show him/her where to put the glass and what a coaster is if he/she dare set it on the wood. I am afraid those days are long gone for most of our culture...

They drink from cans and plastic/paper and do not know anything about living a real life in a real home. They eat in their cars from the drive thru with plastic forks and so-called recycled paper, they do not know what a cloth napkin is, they do not know what a coaster is, they just do not have a clue.
We live in a disposable microwavable society and it makes it very hard to run a B&B when people just don't get any of it. They complain about having to work to send their kid through college who just goes there to party and run around and get diseases - they complain about piling credit card debt and each family member must have a cell phone which includes the astronomical bill to pay each month.
People are raising themselves these days - our guests - why don't they know? No one has shown them. We expect them to know, they don't.
Give them a weekend with Granny sitting on the front porch swing talking about life, real lemonade made from lemons in a real glass made of glass - she will show him/her where to put the glass and what a coaster is if he/she dare set it on the wood. I am afraid those days are long gone for most of our culture....
Absolutely agree!
We used to say this all the time at the shop. Can't really blame them they are clueless! On top of being raised like this the boomers & their kids have been told they are "SPECIAL"
cry_smile.gif
from day one. Is it any wonder they are surprised that the rules pertain to THEM?

Give them a weekend with Granny sitting on the front porch swing talking about life, real lemonade made from lemons in a real glass made of glass - she will show him/her where to put the glass and what a coaster is if he/she dare set it on the wood. I am afraid those days are long gone for most of our culture....
But isn't it nice to hear them say how wonderful it is to sit down to a homemade breakfast? I know it encourages some to start doing breakfast at home, if only on the weekends.

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
devil_smile.gif

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
OK, here's what I heard about that (doilies, coasters and wood)- I had doilies on top of one table for the coffee service, strictly to have a soft surface for the cups. Guests would put their dirty coffee spoons right on it. Because they didn't want to hurt the wood.
So, they destroyed the doilies instead.
At the tables, same thing. If there were placemats the dirty things went on the placemat. If there were no placemats they looked around for where they should put their dirty silverware. Because they didn't want to hurt the wood.
Now I have all handmade tablecloths and the dirty things go on the plates. Not too many guests cause me to have to wash every tablecloth every seating.
And yet these same people who were afraid to harm the poly'd tables are the ones who would put an ice bucket on top of the wooden windowsills and totally destroy the finish. (Still on my list of projects this spring.)
What I don't get is why a guest would think if I have oak tables in the dining room that I wouldn't have them treated so I could wash them. And why plunking a blueberry-covered spoon on a white placemat was a better option.
OK, maybe they do still amaze me...
There you go. No matter how many crazy things they do, sometimes they can still make your jaw drop.

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
devil_smile.gif

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
You're right, FD. No matter how many times you see the craziness, sometimes they really do shock even the most battle-worn!

And even if they do KNOW, they still are living a "disposable" life. I have a family member who as long as I can remember (and they are much older than I am) has used paper plates and disposable utensils for every family get together at their home. This is the same person that just had to have my mother's wedding china. Which will sit in a cabinet and then their children will probably give it to the Goodwill. Sad, isn't it? These things are made to be used and enjoyed.
I always got a kick out of some of our guests when they were trying to figure out what to do with chargers at the table. My dh handled it with a lot of poise.
I can probably count on one hand the folks that put stuff on the placemats or table cloth. Everyone really enjoyed our table settings and being treated special at breakfast here.

And even if they do KNOW, they still are living a "disposable" life. I have a family member who as long as I can remember (and they are much older than I am) has used paper plates and disposable utensils for every family get together at their home. This is the same person that just had to have my mother's wedding china. Which will sit in a cabinet and then their children will probably give it to the Goodwill. Sad, isn't it? These things are made to be used and enjoyed.
I always got a kick out of some of our guests when they were trying to figure out what to do with chargers at the table. My dh handled it with a lot of poise.
I can probably count on one hand the folks that put stuff on the placemats or table cloth. Everyone really enjoyed our table settings and being treated special at breakfast here.
I do have to say that most of my horror stories are old ones. We seem to be drawing a different crowd now. Possibly because the hotel people now have a hotel to go to. Now the stains seem to be accidental.

Back