Again with the emails...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Lovely email this morning asking about rates and availability. When the info is all there and they've read it, what's with the emails and the calls?

I have updated mine to the following, but still tweaking it:
Our pet policy is meant to ensure the comfort of all guests and to protect people, pets and property. Please review the following policies and be prepared to indicate your acceptance by signing a copy when you check-in. We do not descriminate against size or breed of dog. We welcome all well behaved pets with the following agreement:

• Advance reservations are required for all pets.
  • Guest pets must be socialized with humans and other animals. Destructive, aggressive, or uncontrollably noisy pets will not be tolerated at the Inn.
  • All shots for your pet must be current.
  • Your pet must be on a flea prevention program.
  • Pets cannot be left unattended at any time unless in a travel kennel
  • Pets must be leashed at all times when not in your room.
  • Pets are not allowed on the furniture.
  • If left alone in a guest room, your pet must be in a travel kennel and must be quiet.
  • You will be liable if your pet damages Inn property. Let us know if there are any mishaps.
  • You agree to not bathe your dog in the jacuzzi/shower or sink.
  • If one of those inevitable "accidents" occurs, please clean up after your pet immediately and notify the innkeeper.
  • Dog owners should pick up after their pets. A small garbage can for dog waste is located outside next to the porch.

Please tell us about your pet:

Pets Name: ___________________________ Breed_______________________ M F Age_______ Spayed/Neutered?: Y N

Owners Name:__________________________________Address_________________________________Contact #____________________

Signature indicating you agree to all terms and accept full responsibility for your pet: _________________________________________________

We hope you and your pet enjoy your stay.

Our pet policy is meant to ensure the comfort of all guests and to protect people, pets and property. Please review the following policies and be prepared to indicate your acceptance by signing a copy when you check-in. We do not descriminate against size or breed of dog. We welcome all well behaved pets with the following agreement:

• Guest pets must be socialized with humans and other animals. Destructive, aggressive, or uncontrollably noisy pets will not be tolerated at the Inn.
  • If left alone in a guest room, your pet must be in a travel kennel and must be quiet.
  • You will be liable if your pet damages Inn property. Let us know if there are any mishaps.
  • If one of those inevitable "accidents" occurs, please clean up after your pet immediately and notify the innkeeper.
  • Dog owners should pick up after their pets. A small garbage can for dog waste is located outside next to the porch.

Pets Name: ___________________________ Breed_______________________ M F Age_______ Spayed/Neutered?: Y N

Owners Name:__________________________________Address_________________________________Contact #____________________

Signature indicating you agree to all terms and accept full responsibility for your pet: _________________________________________________

We hope you and your pet enjoy your stay..
What I found is that I was not able to control the behaviors in the room that I did not like (ie- pets on the furniture) so we give them an old blanket to throw on the bed or the chair where the dog hangs out most. That has saved me a lot of grief. Plus, I have a completely different set of bedding for days when there are pets in the room. It is much easier to wash and dry than the usual bedding.
I don't ask them to sign anything other than our usual registration form which has a short blurb about damage being caused by anyone, including pets.
Never thought to say they couldn't wash the pet in the shower! But that's a good one. More so a Jacuzzi!
In our case, our insurer has stated we cannot accept certain breeds.
For your policy, one error...'discriminate'

I am curious about your pet policy page. I have a pet agreement too. Would you consider posting it?.
Mine is nowhere near as strict as yours!
(For people policies, click here)
Welcome to our inn! We have a couple of policies designed to enhance everyone's visit, including yours! Please read through the policies and also find a list of amenities we provide for your visit.
  • There are no restrictions on your size. Dachshunds to Danes, well-behaved dogs of all sizes are welcome! Single or double dog occupancy only, please.
  • We're sorry, but insurance regulations prohibit the following breeds: German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and Doberman Pinschers. (We're sure you're nice, but some of your relatives have gotten a bum rap.)
  • You must have current vaccinations for rabies and bordatella. It is in your best interests that flea and tick preventative measures be taken before your arrival. Ticks are prevalent in coastal Maine.
  • You may not stay alone in your room, except when your people are here having breakfast. When your people head out for the day or for dinner, you must accompany them. (And why not, you're on vacation, too!) Most stores will allow you in if your person is leashed. Many restaurants have outdoor seating where you will be allowed to dine with your people. (Please have your people call in advance, we can give them the phone numbers.)
  • The Dog Room is the one you want to book. This room has a private entrance which allows you and your people to come and go without going through the inn. Sorry, you are not allowed in the interior common inn areas. (You know, people have allergies and some are scared.)
  • Local ordinances, and good manners, require your people to clean up after you here at the inn and in town.
  • There is a $25 per stay fee for you in addition to the room rate your people pay.
  • Any damage you do or loss of revenue due to damage done by you will be charged to your person's account. (Be a good dog!)
Dog Amenities-
The following items are provided for use during your stay:
  • Food and water bowls.
  • Quilt provided if you get to sleep on the furniture.
  • Towel for wiping muddy paws and drying off after a swim.
  • Pooper scooper bags.
These items are our gift for you to take with you:
  • A treat from Bre (the inn dog).
  • A copy of Downeast Dog News
  • A copy of the Downeast Dog News Guide to Parks for Dogs.
There is one acre of grounds here for playing and relaxing. We do ask that you don't roll in the flowers! Bre may come out to visit you while you are here. (Sometimes she just sleeps all day so you may not see her.) She is not allowed in your room. She's very friendly but she doesn't like to be charged, so please use some restraint when saying 'hi' to her. If you bark a lot in your room, she'll be upset because she can't fix what's wrong.
If your people want to go out for the day on their own, they can call these folks who will be happy to take care of you:
Here there's a list of local doggie daycares.

Okay so if you accept pets how can you tell them to stay off furniture and out of the shower? They are staying in a bed and breakfast for goodness sake!
Just asking, as it makes no sense to me, if they are accepted then they are accepted. I know we go over this too often on here. What dog is going to stay off the bed? No dog I have ever met.

Okay so if you accept pets how can you tell them to stay off furniture and out of the shower? They are staying in a bed and breakfast for goodness sake!
Just asking, as it makes no sense to me, if they are accepted then they are accepted. I know we go over this too often on here. What dog is going to stay off the bed? No dog I have ever met..
OK, my dog has never been on any piece of furniture. (Now you know one dog!)
But, I now know my dog is in the minority. After the Great Dane that was put to bed IN the bed, covered up and all and the following night the Golden that shed 3 dogs' worth of fur on the comforter, I know guests let the dogs in and on the bed. So, we work with that knowledge and provide a blanket (guests really do use it) and only have the 'second best' bedding on the bed.
This keeps me sane. And it also caused a price increase for the extra laundry.
We also have the Dustbuster to clean all of the chairs and the bedskirt as even just walking by, the dog leaves fur everywhere.
I never thought anyone would put their dog in the shower so I've never even mentioned it. But I could see not wanting the Jacuzzi clogged up with dog hair. And I know as soon as I turn the water on in the tub, my dog starts shedding like crazy. It's like the hair just falls out when she hears the water running!
It's kind of along the lines of accepting families. Kids are welcome, but don't let them run riot in the house. It's just being polite more than anything. Sometimes I have to spell out what that means (with the parents of kids as well as dogs). And as more and more people see 'pocket pets' going everywhere, they think, 'Hey, let's take the dog on vacation,' not realizing that it's a commitment to take your dog with you.
I wanted to take our dog to Acadia because I knew she'd love the water and the hiking. Glad we didn't as I got to relax not having to worry about her. (And she had 3 good days hiking last week in all new places.)
I think that's what I tried to focus on with our policy page...be a good citizen. Make it so you're welcome back again.

Just asking, as it makes no sense to me, if they are accepted then they are accepted. I know we go over this too often on here. What dog is going to stay off the bed? No dog I have ever met..
Joey Bloggs said:
Just asking, as it makes no sense to me, if they are accepted then they are accepted. I know we go over this too often on here. What dog is going to stay off the bed? No dog I have ever met.
That's really always been my feeling about that fairly common pet policy. If the dog goes on the bed at home, guess what, he's going on the bed wherever he is. That's why blankets or sheets or whatever is given to guests to accommodate that reality are, IMHO, a necessity.

Joey Bloggs said:
That's really always been my feeling about that fairly common pet policy. If the dog goes on the bed at home, guess what, he's going on the bed wherever he is. That's why blankets or sheets or whatever is given to guests to accommodate that reality are, IMHO, a necessity.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I am just saying, any dog PRIVILEGED ENOUGH to stay in a BED AND BREAKFAST is going to be on the bed, and the chair and anyplace else it wants. Anyone who thinks it is not going to be on the furniture is kidding him/herself. We are not talking rustic state park cabins here. LOL!

Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I am just saying, any dog PRIVILEGED ENOUGH to stay in a BED AND BREAKFAST is going to be on the bed, and the chair and anyplace else it wants. Anyone who thinks it is not going to be on the furniture is kidding him/herself. We are not talking rustic state park cabins here. LOL!
Frankly, we are getting fewer and fewer of the 'pampered' pets in the traditional sense of the poodle with the diamond-studded collar that eats its meals off china. We're getting more of the guests who have no clue how to travel with pets. They think it's going to be the same as home where they go off for 10 hours and leave Rex at home where Rex is comfortable and has all his toys.
It's a rude awakening when we tell them Rex can't stay here all day alone to whine and dig at the walls and chew the covers. And those guests move on to hotels where no one is keeping tabs.
Or like the guy who thought I would be watching his dog all day by keeping the dog with me at all times.
That's why I have my list of do's and don't's. In case anyone reads it (which more people do now that it's SO obvious), I want them to know in advance.
My last guest booked doggie daycare so she could go out shopping. That worked out well for everyone.

Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I completely agree.

Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Frankly, we are getting fewer and fewer of the 'pampered' pets in the traditional sense of the poodle with the diamond-studded collar that eats its meals off china. We're getting more of the guests who have no clue how to travel with pets. They think it's going to be the same as home where they go off for 10 hours and leave Rex at home where Rex is comfortable and has all his toys.
It's a rude awakening when we tell them Rex can't stay here all day alone to whine and dig at the walls and chew the covers. And those guests move on to hotels where no one is keeping tabs.
Or like the guy who thought I would be watching his dog all day by keeping the dog with me at all times.
That's why I have my list of do's and don't's. In case anyone reads it (which more people do now that it's SO obvious), I want them to know in advance.
My last guest booked doggie daycare so she could go out shopping. That worked out well for everyone.
Maybe you can contact some local kids and have them as pet minding and walking service. Add that as an amenity (chargeable).
If I saw a dog with a studded collar I would be too tempted to send my cat through the inn. I would feel an uncontrollable impulse to do so.
devil_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Maybe you can contact some local kids and have them as pet minding and walking service. Add that as an amenity (chargeable).
If I saw a dog with a studded collar I would be too tempted to send my cat through the inn. I would feel an uncontrollable impulse to do so.
devil_smile.gif

There's an inn here that does that and if guests are adamant about leaving the dog alone, I send them there. But, it's a good idea. A dinner-time pet sitting service would go over well.

What I found is that I was not able to control the behaviors in the room that I did not like (ie- pets on the furniture) so we give them an old blanket to throw on the bed or the chair where the dog hangs out most. That has saved me a lot of grief. Plus, I have a completely different set of bedding for days when there are pets in the room. It is much easier to wash and dry than the usual bedding.
I don't ask them to sign anything other than our usual registration form which has a short blurb about damage being caused by anyone, including pets.
Never thought to say they couldn't wash the pet in the shower! But that's a good one. More so a Jacuzzi!
Morticia said:
We are within a few miles of the show grounds where the local kennel club hosts its dog shows. We have really had to put our foot down with the bathing issue. Image a soaking wet St Bernard in an 80 gallon jacuzzi tub. What does a dog do when they get wet? They shake of course. Water and hair everywhere...walls, ceilings its a mess. Trust me.

I just saw a comment on that ABC's article and we have had guests stay at the inn who commented online, I checked to make sure. They had this on their website:
Small dogs (20 lbs. and under) are welcome at the inn although there is a $25.00 per day charge.
Another website I saw recently said "No dogs under 6 mo's old" So there you have it, discrimination if I ever read it! age and weight! ha ha

Joey Bloggs said:
As a former breeder and exhibitor of German Shepherds, I know for a fact that dogs and children are only as well behaved as you insist they be. In this business, everyones child is perfect and no ones dog ever barks...right?
Right....that's why I take a $500 (refundable) pet security deposit. We do a walk through at check out with the guest to ensure that they are leaving the room in the same good condition that they found it in. We suggest pet owners bring a travel kennel or their pets bed with them and also provide furniture throws and pet towels for wet or muddy feet.

Morticia said:
We are within a few miles of the show grounds where the local kennel club hosts its dog shows. We have really had to put our foot down with the bathing issue. Image a soaking wet St Bernard in an 80 gallon jacuzzi tub. What does a dog do when they get wet? They shake of course. Water and hair everywhere...walls, ceilings its a mess. Trust me.
We have a small dog and she has been running in covered in red dirt/mud of late and she shakes hard to get it off herself. She is under 20 lbs, she is older than 6 months and would be the first to jump up on the bed and shake her whole body AND to lay on your pillows!
BAD DOG!

Joey Bloggs said:
As a former breeder and exhibitor of German Shepherds, I know for a fact that dogs and children are only as well behaved as you insist they be. In this business, everyones child is perfect and no ones dog ever barks...right?
Right....that's why I take a $500 (refundable) pet security deposit. We do a walk through at check out with the guest to ensure that they are leaving the room in the same good condition that they found it in. We suggest pet owners bring a travel kennel or their pets bed with them and also provide furniture throws and pet towels for wet or muddy feet.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I was commenting when you were. $500 would make ME leave our well behaved dog at home. Works for me! She is kennel trained, but would love to sleep on a big comfy bed.
devil_smile.gif

See $20 or $25 is incentive for me to bring this dog with us, as you can pay that to have her boarded and locked up and have no fun. Just as an fyi for anyone who charges $20 or $25, that is an INVITATION (to me as a dog owner)

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I was commenting when you were. $500 would make ME leave our well behaved dog at home. Works for me! She is kennel trained, but would love to sleep on a big comfy bed.
devil_smile.gif

See $20 or $25 is incentive for me to bring this dog with us, as you can pay that to have her boarded and locked up and have no fun. Just as an fyi for anyone who charges $20 or $25, that is an INVITATION (to me as a dog owner)
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
devil_smile.gif

This serves 2 purposes. First it weeds out the dog owner that has his dog chained out in the backyard and is too cheap to board it or knowlegable enought to train it in the first place which is why its chained out to a dog house to begin with and secondly that $500 won't come close to covering replacing my fine, period antiques. It only ensures that I get folks comfortable enough with ensuring that their dog is a good canine citizen.

I just saw a comment on that ABC's article and we have had guests stay at the inn who commented online, I checked to make sure. They had this on their website:
Small dogs (20 lbs. and under) are welcome at the inn although there is a $25.00 per day charge.
Another website I saw recently said "No dogs under 6 mo's old" So there you have it, discrimination if I ever read it! age and weight! ha ha.
Oh, that's one I keep meaning to post and forget...no puppies. We've had guests want to book when they came here to pick up a puppy from a breeder. Yeah, right. You've never traveled with this dog before, it's maybe 8 weeks old and you want me to let you bring it here to mess all over everything? No thanks.

Back