AGE LIMIT ON GUESTS?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh

Reaction score
OK, not sure if this is the right area to Post! "Swirt a General section would be great"
Question is what age limit "youngest do you allow your guets to be?
I have a Guest whom is below 21 and her Dad paid originally for here 2 month stay, she decided to extend her stay by 1 month 2 weeks ago, she did not have a credit card and agreed that her "BF" now staying with her was going to pay and wanted to know what the difference would be with him there. I gave her a price and she agreed, she filled out the Webervations form, But somehow managed to put in 16 0's and the system took it. I always have a reservation form filled out as that is my contract with them in case they try to back out.
Last night she informed me that she was leaving town early as her "BF" quit his new job and moving home. She said she would not be staying, I explained she is in a New contract and I would be out all that Money, when I could have rented it out perhaps starting 2 weeks ago.
So I guess this is a 2 part question ??
Age??
Also ...How do you handle stuff like this?
Thanks in advance!
help.gif

A) as far as age goes, if someone books online I don't know until they show up. But, over 21 is where I'd like them to be. What I won't accept is someone who is 'of age' but who is still in high school. Also I do not take anyone who doesn't have, and use, their OWN credit card. ie- no parental credit cards.
B) do you have a credit card on file? Did they pay anything in advance for this new 'reservation'? If you have the cc number, charge it now. If you don't, you'll need to figure out how to get that info before they leave.
If your 'contract' with her shows '$0' owed, you are out of luck. Otherwise, you may have to sue her and file a complaint with the police.

I would also make sure that you get the money for the guests stay at check-in time. That way it is all taken care of. I never wait until check out to get the payment because that is when problems could arise with credit cards declining.

I would also make sure that you get the money for the guests stay at check-in time. That way it is all taken care of. I never wait until check out to get the payment because that is when problems could arise with credit cards declining..
I always charge 20% upfront when I book and confirm a Reservation and balance paid at check in. Her Dad wrote 2 extra checks and I had his CC info for the first 3 reservations, She just booked this reservation online and said she would be paying with Cash at the time the reservation was starting again. she entered 16 )"s in the webervations system and I did not catch that till yesterday when she said she was leaving!

18 or older with a valid credit card. 18 is the age of majority or whatever you want to call in in several States in this region, plus we get military folks. To my knowledge though, I haven't had anyone under the age of 21 yet.
I charge them at check-in. No pay, no stay!

Josh,
Lets see if I am understanding your issue correctly:
Girl's Dad took care of her 1st reservation for a 2 month stay. Two weeks prior to the end of her stay, she went online and booked for an additional month but only inserted zeros where the CC# should go. Now it is the beginning of her new reservation (or end of the 1st 2 months) and she is backing out of her new reservation.
If this is correct, you really have no recourse here to my knowledge except to sue. You can not go to Dad as Dad did not make this commitment. And to be quiet honest, if you win the case you still have no guarantees of ever collecting.
My suggestion to you is if someone states they are going to pay cash, get a deposit from them at the time of booking. (Giving time to sent it). No deposit, no reservation.
On the age issue, 21 here. Of course, like Bree said if they book online you don't know until they arrive. I do not post my age limit on my site...this may be something I should do.
lightbulb.gif
As far as payment goes, balance is due on arrival.
Edited to add: No refunds for early departure. (That is my policy, I have been known to bend, but then that would be a choice)

Josh,
Lets see if I am understanding your issue correctly:
Girl's Dad took care of her 1st reservation for a 2 month stay. Two weeks prior to the end of her stay, she went online and booked for an additional month but only inserted zeros where the CC# should go. Now it is the beginning of her new reservation (or end of the 1st 2 months) and she is backing out of her new reservation.
If this is correct, you really have no recourse here to my knowledge except to sue. You can not go to Dad as Dad did not make this commitment. And to be quiet honest, if you win the case you still have no guarantees of ever collecting.
My suggestion to you is if someone states they are going to pay cash, get a deposit from them at the time of booking. (Giving time to sent it). No deposit, no reservation.
On the age issue, 21 here. Of course, like Bree said if they book online you don't know until they arrive. I do not post my age limit on my site...this may be something I should do.
lightbulb.gif
As far as payment goes, balance is due on arrival.
Edited to add: No refunds for early departure. (That is my policy, I have been known to bend, but then that would be a choice).
Thanks for explaining that 16 0's thing. I totally did not get what that meant.
NOW, to me, that means there is something drastically wrong with the reservation system that it would accept a bogus number. I know I have tried to make fake reservations on my own system just to test different parts of it and it won't accept 'bogus' numbers.
That said, Josh should have paid more attention to the booking info.

I just had a guest (well, almost) who told me he'd called four other places before calling me and none of them would take him because he was only 18.
I remember being around 22 and not being able to rent a car.
Normally I take a one night deposit, run it on the spot, no refunds within 7 days of the stay.
I didn't.
He cancelled.
I didn't mind... I wasn't sure I wanted him anyway. It was just a one night stay... and at least he cancelled early in the day.
But had I taken the deposit he wouldn't have gotten it back.
=)
Kk.

I just had a guest (well, almost) who told me he'd called four other places before calling me and none of them would take him because he was only 18.
Normally I take a one night deposit, run it on the spot, no refunds within 7 days of the stay.
I didn't.
He cancelled.
I didn't mind... I wasn't sure I wanted him anyway. It was just a one night stay... and at least he cancelled early in the day.
=)
Kk..
I've had a few of those. 'Hi! Can I book if I'm only 18, no one else will take me?' My immediate response is no. I've had parents call and say the kid can use their card. No, again. Then there are the, 'There are 20 of us, how much is a room?' calls. (Prom night.)
The parent ones are funny-sad. They want me to mind their teenager which is why they don't go to a hotel. They're concerned for their kid's safety, which is good, but why would I want that responsibility?

I didn't.
He cancelled.
=)
Kk..
I've had a few of those. 'Hi! Can I book if I'm only 18, no one else will take me?' My immediate response is no. I've had parents call and say the kid can use their card. No, again. Then there are the, 'There are 20 of us, how much is a room?' calls. (Prom night.)
The parent ones are funny-sad. They want me to mind their teenager which is why they don't go to a hotel. They're concerned for their kid's safety, which is good, but why would I want that responsibility?
Bree said:
Those Prom night things are something else...We get calls all the time to place an ad in this or that (High) shool program..NOT - no reminders. When I tell the caller what type of calls we get, they are shocked.
And as for parent renting: My reply would be: Room $120, Breakfast $ comp. Watching out for your kid, priceless (as in there is not enough money in this world).

I didn't.
He cancelled.
=)
Kk..
Bree said:
Those Prom night things are something else...We get calls all the time to place an ad in this or that (High) shool program..NOT - no reminders. When I tell the caller what type of calls we get, they are shocked.
And as for parent renting: My reply would be: Room $120, Breakfast $ comp. Watching out for your kid, priceless (as in there is not enough money in this world).
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
I'll have to remember that about the high school program listings. Great way to let parents know, as if they don't, what their kids are up to.

We are a wine country inn and have sparkling wine in the rooms, so we state on our website 21 or older only. But we are different from your place in that we are definately a couples romantic or getaway type of place. Our age requirement is to cover us for alcohol and to allow people who are spending the money on babysitters a chance to be somewhere wtih grownups.
If i had anyone call that said they were under the legal age of drinking, therefore, I'd say no.
But with the tours even though they have to be 21 whenever they have given me a reason they can't send the deposit check they have always been a problem. So I try and avoid dealing with them
Riki

I think this really comes down to your policy on the matter. What is the policy they agreed to when they submitted the online reservation?

We are a wine country inn and have sparkling wine in the rooms, so we state on our website 21 or older only. But we are different from your place in that we are definately a couples romantic or getaway type of place. Our age requirement is to cover us for alcohol and to allow people who are spending the money on babysitters a chance to be somewhere wtih grownups.
If i had anyone call that said they were under the legal age of drinking, therefore, I'd say no.
But with the tours even though they have to be 21 whenever they have given me a reason they can't send the deposit check they have always been a problem. So I try and avoid dealing with them
Riki.
Good point on having a problem sending the deposit. That generally means they aren't really planning on coming. They're 'place-holding'.

Riki.
Good point on having a problem sending the deposit. That generally means they aren't really planning on coming. They're 'place-holding'.
Yes, we get a lot of inquiries for the wine tours and if they don't send the deposit check they are not booked. Period. Or I'd be driving out to pick up people and getting cancellations on my cell phone. That only happened twice for me to stop dealing with that nonsense.
We have some B&Bs here that are so popular they require the deposit send by check! I'm not that brave.
RIki

I didn't.
He cancelled.
=)
Kk..
Bree said:
It was Prom Night and I was working as relief night audit at the Holiday Inn. About 2 am the oldest daughter of DH's best friend comes bouncing up to the desk in her lovely gown and says, "Hello Mrs. ____. Do you have any rooms?" My response, "Hello, Missy. Yes, I do but not for you." "Oh, OK. Bye."
I told her parents the story in 2007. MANY years later.

I started staying at Bed and Breakfasts when I was 19.
embaressed_smile.gif
With my to be husband and his family for Christmas. I think if someone has a credit card, in their name, they could stay anywhere they want to by booking online. Might be a good reminder to verify CC name matches ID, just for the parents that let their kids borrow their CC's. The one horrible experiance I had at a B & B she made sure she checked both mine and my husband's IDs.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I started staying at Bed and Breakfasts when I was 19.
embaressed_smile.gif
With my to be husband and his family for Christmas. I think if someone has a credit card, in their name, they could stay anywhere they want to by booking online. Might be a good reminder to verify CC name matches ID, just for the parents that let their kids borrow their CC's. The one horrible experiance I had at a B & B she made sure she checked both mine and my husband's IDs.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
I've asked the local hotels what they do, figuring they would get more of this than I would. They will not take anyone under age 21 without a parent present for the stay, not just for the payment. They also check id if they think the person is under 21.
The problem I see is that parents will come after me if their kid gets in trouble. Even if the parent didn't care enough to know where their kid was, I should have been more vigilant!
I have taken couples who were under 21. One was very nice on the phone, explained the whole big story to me. They had their own credit card. She threw up all over the room, staining the carpet so badly I had to move the furniture around to hide it. I will say that she did wash the sheets in the bathtub, tho, so she got 'points' for that.
Now anyone could have gotten sick, not just because they're under 21, but it certainly made me think twice if anyone called and started in on the 'Will you take us, no one else will...' saga.
And we do get Navy personnel here who may or may not be 21, as well as college students.

I can understand your reasoning about this so don't get me wrong, but on the other hand, when you are 18 you are allowed to join the Military and die for our country but you can't stay at a B&B?? Not all people under 21 are up to no good and will cause trouble, I have 2 daughters that are proof of that (oldest just turned 21 in Oct.). And just because you are over 21 doesn't mean that you are responsible....
When my daughters became of age where they would be out at places by themselves I put a credit card in their names to avoid situations where the merchant wouldn't take the card since it was in someone else's name but when I worked retail we were told that American Express was the only CC that said we couldn't accept it unless the customer was presenting it themselves, don't know if that's true or even if it used to be true but that was the guide we used.

I can understand your reasoning about this so don't get me wrong, but on the other hand, when you are 18 you are allowed to join the Military and die for our country but you can't stay at a B&B?? Not all people under 21 are up to no good and will cause trouble, I have 2 daughters that are proof of that (oldest just turned 21 in Oct.). And just because you are over 21 doesn't mean that you are responsible....
When my daughters became of age where they would be out at places by themselves I put a credit card in their names to avoid situations where the merchant wouldn't take the card since it was in someone else's name but when I worked retail we were told that American Express was the only CC that said we couldn't accept it unless the customer was presenting it themselves, don't know if that's true or even if it used to be true but that was the guide we used..
GAgirl, I know what you are saying and I agree. I have had guests at 21 that are much more responsible and repectful than some that were 40+. Your statement about age and the military (as well as voting) has been a point in many discussions regarding legal drinking age as well. There is a lot of 'age discriminaton' for lack of a better term. Just look at car insuance rates for under 25yr olds.
I know that many of the FL beach properties (hotels, vacation rentals included) have a 23-25 year limit - one that reserves, pays and must stay is responsible.
For many reasons though a line needs to be drawn and for me it is 21.

Back