Age Minimum

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattrin

Reaction score
Do you have an age minimum for guest before you will allow them to check in. We are in a college town and get calls every once in awhile asking if we have an age minimum to check in. I go with 21 but I am starting to think that may be an issue if someone were to push it. My husband thinks there is a local ordinance saying you have to be 21 but I am not sure. How do you handle it?

Check the local ordinance is the easiest way. I know no hotel around here will take anyone under the age of 21, the teenagers all tell me that when they call! (I won't take them, either, too much risk as they are mostly high schoolers who call.)

We have couples get married at 19 or 20 that stay with us..
We've had one couple under the age of 21. Not married, but she told me they'd been together since they were 13. They lived together, on their own, had their own cc, etc.
All the other calls are high schoolers looking for prom night accommodations.
Oh wait, I take that back! We had a college couple here, too. She bounced on the bed, giggling when I showed them the room. They were the couple who I had to ask to come in the house before they were arrested for indecent exposure in the front yard. (He had his hand up her skirt and her underwear was on display for all to see.)

I read a website yesterday that said "Minimum Age 15" and I had to laugh. I am sure they just meant "Not appropriate for children" but it came across otherwise.

kattrin said:
Do you have an age minimum for guest before you will allow them to check in. We are in a college town and get calls every once in awhile asking if we have an age minimum to check in. I go with 21 but I am starting to think that may be an issue if someone were to push it. My husband thinks there is a local ordinance saying you have to be 21 but I am not sure. How do you handle it?
We are also in a college town, and none of the hotels take under 21. I had a father book for his daughter who was visiting the U, along with a friend (male, but not boyfriend) who needed a separate bed. No problem, sure. He was paying for his daughter, so why not? Two weeks later she returned with her mom. Another stay a month or so later. Then a few nights when she moved onto campus.
All because I said yes!
=)
Kk.

We have couples get married at 19 or 20 that stay with us..
Here too. And a couple of military guys just under 21 with their brides. If they can go to the Middle East to be in harm's way, I'm not going to say no.
Samster said:
Here too. And a couple of military guys just under 21 with their brides. If they can go to the Middle East to be in harm's way, I'm not going to say no.
Good Point!

We got an awful lot of young couples...lots of student couples from U of M. I have never asked anyone for ID, nor do I have a minimum age requirement posted.

We got an awful lot of young couples...lots of student couples from U of M. I have never asked anyone for ID, nor do I have a minimum age requirement posted..
Same here. I just say children not allowed. Hubby would rather not have families with teens, but I say, as long as the teens (with parents) why not?

I do not have it posted as to min. age to reserve a room but I do have my guard up when someone young sounding calls, especially as it nears prom time. (I keep tabs of the local high school prom nights and if we get a call and they sound young, just state our min. age to stay is 21 and a valid ID is required at check in.
Having a CC in their own name does not mean they are 'old enough' any more as banks issue Debit/CC to anyone having a checking account. My kids have had their own account since they were 16.
Many Florida beach hotels have a 24-25 min age to register. They do this because there are so many that book for spring break and they tear up the place. They require a ID at check in and have a strict deposit/cancellation policy during those times.
This subect has been discussed before. If you are interested in what others have said, you may wish to do a seach for previous discussions. Some have been very informative.

We are in a college town and we have a pretty flexible age requirement. Since we are in a college town and most 'prospective' students of the 3 colleges are typically under age 18 (some as young as 16) we do allow teenagers to come, because their parents will become future repeat guests. And we do not turn them away because they always come with a parent who is coming along to see the schools. We have never recieved calls from teenagers wanting to rent a room, its mostly the parents who are calling for them. And we have had quite a few people who are newly weds stay here that are 18-20 years of age. None have ever been a problem.
We typically do not allow any kids younger than 5 years of age unless:
1. The whole house is rented by the family. For like a family reunion, graduation, etc... That way if it is a younger person, like a baby who cries and fusses all night, all the people staying are family/friends and so they are a bit more understanding about infants. They are also less likely to complain, because their family.
2. If a family who has a baby calls and they are not coming with other family members and no other guest rooms rented, then we would allow it. But if even just one room is rented by a different guest (especially a University client) we tell them no.
Thankfully there are enough hotels in town that peole with kids can go and stay at.

I don't have a stated minimum age. I just follow my gut.
I would never say that is why I am not renting to them. I would be afraid of a discrimination lawsuit.

I would never say that is why I am not renting to them. I would be afraid of a discrimination lawsuit..
Somewhere in Paradise said:
I would be afraid of a discrimination lawsuit.
I don't think this would be an issue if they were under 21. Car rental co.s do this as standard. We had to co-sign for our daughter when she was 23. She had all the needed documentation, CC, ins, etc. she was just under 25. And as I said, I know a lot of hotels do it on the FL coast.
I usually do not stress over this unless it is around prom times, then I am on my p's and q's. I sure as heck don't want any girl's dad coming over here in the middle of the night, shot gun loaded....

I would never say that is why I am not renting to them. I would be afraid of a discrimination lawsuit..
I don't think this would be an issue if they were under 21. Car rental co.s do this as standard. We had to co-sign for our daughter when she was 23. She had all the needed documentation, CC, ins, etc. she was just under 25. And as I said, I know a lot of hotels do it on the FL coast.
I usually do not stress over this unless it is around prom times, then I am on my p's and q's. I sure as heck don't want any girl's dad coming over here in the middle of the night, shot gun loaded....
Oh goodness! That userid is truncated on my monitor. I thought it was 'somewhere in PA' and I've been thinking it's someone in Pennsylvania. ha ha

Oh goodness! That userid is truncated on my monitor. I thought it was 'somewhere in PA' and I've been thinking it's someone in Pennsylvania. ha ha
Me too

You are right. I never thought about it that way.

Back